Paul Warne

Day

33 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Give the team the best support we can - however they play -  and enjoy it whilst the team selection and football is good 

But not be persuaded that staying down is anything less than failure. 

That's just your interpretation of what he said. To me, he was merely stating some "home" truths : at this stage of the season, the fans can help to lift the team when they're struggling (as they have done at times recently) by vocal encouragement; understand that the players are doing everything they can to win promotion and get behind them; we're in a great position now so let's all push together. I heard nothing that suggested he was trying to deflect blame in the event we failed.

I think some of our fans are just looking for excuses to feel offended now.

39 minutes ago, Srg said:

Your analysis has fallen at the first hurdle. For the mental gymnastics to occur, he would have had to have actually listened to what he said... which he clearly hasn't.

The idea of someone only reading the headline, misunderstanding, and then jumping straight to being absolutely seething and writing an angry comment is a very funny mental image. 

I also love that suggestion that Warne might be brazen enough in a public interview to blame the fans for when we don't play well on the pitch. No manager in their right mind would ever say that; let alone one who has struggled winning the entirety of the fanbase around. It'd be managerial suicide, think what you want of Warne but he isn't thick enough to do that. Whole thing is amusing!

23 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

See my response to Crewton. I love to see him get the best out of the squad - as he did against Bristol - and I love to see our better footballers excel. (For some reason he regularly decides not to play them.)  But our form has been erratic most of the season, even during the winning streak. If he doesn’t find consistency in the run in, then we’re in the play offs and he’ll find himself up against sharper tacticians. 

I liked Warne’s plea for support when things are not going well and the team certainly has mine. What I don’t like is him preparing the ground for disappointment and implying it would not be failure 

Is he implying it or are you just interpreting it in that way? I thought he had conceded not getting promoted last season (let alone this year) was a failure. The problem in my mind is that some people think (are clinging to the hope) that failure = the sack when it doesn't always have to as it's dependent on:

1) The degree of failure [finishing mid to low in the table probably would have been enough but probably not if we just fall short in the play offs]

2) The confidence levels that next season we'll have a good/better chance [I get that a lot of folk are not enjoying the football and worry about the quality of the league being a bit better next season but, we're not likely to miss by much this season (unless the wheels really come off over the next 9 games) and we'll (hopefully) be a stronger team next season as well]

3) What targets and timescales have been set by the owner [PW said last year was a failure and, despite what you're implying, will probably say the same this year if we miss out but it's what DC thinks that really matters]

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Is he implying it or are you just interpreting it in that way? I thought he had conceded not getting promoted last season (let alone this year) was a failure. The problem in my mind is that some people think (are clinging to the hope) that failure = the sack when it doesn't always have to as it's dependent on:

1) The degree of failure [finishing mid to low in the table probably would have been enough but probably not if we just fall short in the play offs]

2) The confidence levels that next season we'll have a good/better chance [I get that a lot of folk are not enjoying the football and worry about the quality of the league being a bit better next season but, we're not likely to miss by much this season (unless the wheels really come off over the next 9 games) and we'll (hopefully) be a stronger team next season as well]

3) What targets and timescales have been set by the owner [PW said last year was a failure and, despite what you're implying, will probably say the same this year if we miss out but it's what DC thinks that really matters]

Don’t think he usually gets enough out of this squad. It’s a poor division 

as for owner timescales, I don’t see any  reason for not wanting promotion asap. DC’s vague 4 year plan was imo intended to manage fans’ expectations. The Derby brand loses lustre each year we languish in this lamentable league 

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

Don’t think he usually gets enough out of this squad. It’s a poor division 

as for owner timescales, I don’t see any  reason for not wanting promotion asap. DC’s vague 4 year plan was imo intended to manage fans’ expectations. The Derby brand loses lustre each year we languish in this lamentable league 

Didn't work in some cases though did it? 😀

Seriously though, of course we all want to get out of this division as soon as possible but maybe DC is a pragmatist and realises that promotion last season would have been outstanding, promotion in season two is a realistic hope (although we're still under the restrictions of the business plan we had to get agreed etc.), promotion by the end of season three (at the latest) is the expectation. That's where my thinking is. The only things that may have brought forward a possible parting of the ways (sacking or "by mutual consent") IMO is if we'd been way off the pace and not close to being contenders in years 1 or 2.

54 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Didn't work in some cases though did it? 😀

Seriously though, of course we all want to get out of this division as soon as possible but maybe DC is a pragmatist and realises that promotion last season would have been outstanding, promotion in season two is a realistic hope (although we're still under the restrictions of the business plan we had to get agreed etc.), promotion by the end of season three (at the latest) is the expectation. That's where my thinking is. The only things that may have brought forward a possible parting of the ways (sacking or "by mutual consent") IMO is if we'd been way off the pace and not close to being contenders in years 1 or 2.

I’d say the likelihood of promotion is determined almost completely by the quality of the squad and mgt team. (The period of ownership/ the period since administration, will of course impact squad and mgt team; but once personnel is settled those factors are of no relevance.) imo last season our squad should have made top 6  ( it was a stronger division) and this season we should make automatics or at least top 4 

it’s deeply strange for people to suggest that failure to get promoted this year is somehow explained, justified or excused because DC set a squidgy 4 year target for - what was it ? - being ‘established’ in the championship 

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

I’d say the likelihood of promotion is determined almost completely by the quality of the squad and mgt team. (The period of ownership/ the period since administration, will of course impact squad and mgt team; but once personnel is settled those factors are of no relevance.) imo last season our squad should have made top 6  ( it was a stronger division) and this season we should make automatics or at least top 4 

it’s deeply strange for people to suggest that failure to get promoted this year is somehow explained, justified or excused because DC set a squidgy 4 year target for - what was it ? - being ‘established’ in the championship 

What’s stranger is for you to pick up on Warne’s asking the fans to back the team and enjoy the ride of the next 9 games as a pre-cursor to failure.

We’re second (outright now without the caveat of games in hand others were keen to point out before), have as many wins as Pompey, have the best goal difference in the league on account of having the joint second best goals conceded and fourth best goals for, have players seemingly in form, have players coming back from injury to strengthen the squad for the run in, have just won two games on the bounce 3-0 following a mini slump, and you’re picking on how things are worded in press conferences?! 

I was reflecting on the squad the other day and concluded that the overwhelming majority of the squad has positively contributed to our successes this season.

The notable exceptions were Embleton (who looked decent then picked up a season-ending injury), and Blackett-Taylor, who has suffered from some niggly injuries and hasn't had any significant game time.

Even John-Jules scored a couple of important goals, not least the only goal for three points away at Port Vale.

Credit surely goes to PW for this. 

30 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Your first sentence is of course stating the obvious as is the statement that the period since administration becomes irrelevant once the personnel is settled. But, given we’ve been restricted in whom we can sign and some of the current squad aren’t PW’s signings (I’m not blaming LR by the way. I think he did an excellent job building a team with limited resources and within an even more limited time period), I’m not sure you can really say the “personnel is settled”. Unless of course you are only referring to the management team in which case, the period since administration (and any subsequent restrictive business plan) is very relevant.

Regarding your final paragraph, I’m not sure anyone is suggesting DC’s four year plan is the reason we didn’t get promoted this season (assuming we don’t). Just some of us may be suggesting his being a realist. 

Regarding this year, well nothing is guaranteed yet but I would suggest we are probably looking reasonably good for a top 4 finish. Assuming we achieve that, I guess you wouldn’t be calling for PW’s head then given he would have achieved within the range of your expectations?

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Regarding this year, well nothing is guaranteed yet but I would suggest we are probably looking reasonably good for a top 4 finish. Assuming we achieve that, I guess you wouldn’t be calling for PW’s head then given he would have achieved within the range of your expectations

So below expectations last year and if bottom range of expectations this year, should he stay? well that’s not great. add to that that his recruitment and retention isn’t strong, I don’t think his selection is marvellous and the tactics and style aren’t great. 

Would we be better off in the medium term going up and keeping Warne, or staying down and losing him ? Pointless question not least because if we stay down I’d guess he’ll stay and that’s the worst of all worlds. This is why I don’t like the 4 year plan (which suggests that DC will not pay Warne to leave); and it’s why I don’t like Warne suggesting it’s all down to fate and that he doesn’t carry the can if we fail again (‘we don’t know the destination”…  “we’re all going to fail together‘).

15 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

So below expectations last year and if bottom range of expectations this year, should he stay? well that’s not great. add to that that his recruitment and retention isn’t strong, I don’t think his selection is marvellous and the tactics and style aren’t great. 

Would we be better off in the medium term going up and keeping Warne, or staying down and losing him ? Pointless question not least because if we stay down I’d guess he’ll stay and that’s the worst of all worlds. This is why I don’t like the 4 year plan (which suggests that DC will not pay Warne to leave); and it’s why I don’t like Warne suggesting it’s all down to fate and that he doesn’t carry the can if we fail again (‘we don’t know the destination”…  “we’re all going to fail together‘).

“We don’t know the destination” doesn’t mean it’s all down to fate. It means we don’t know, at this moment in time, where we’re going to finish simply because none of us do. “Down to fate” means it’s out of your control. Has he said that?

”We’re going to fail together” doesn’t mean he is abdicating responsibility and isn’t prepared to carry the can. It means it’s a joint responsibility which it would be. Same as you wouldn’t expect him to take sole credit if we did get promoted.

7 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

I love this comment for so many reasons. Not least because Warne isn't blaming anyone, he's just encouraging fans saying we can make a difference when the team's struggling on the pitch. It's amazing you've taken a positive message and managed to perform the necessary mental gymnastics to see it as a negative... AND THEN gone scorched earth and gone hell for leather with the insults. Brilliant! 😂

Everything the bloke does annoys me, it really does. He could end world hunger and I still wouldn't like him.

Edited by GeneralRam

6 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

Everything the bloke does annoys me, it really does. He could end world hunger and I still wouldn't like him.

Jokes aside, if he got us promoted, you'd still think negatively of him? 

The main good things he's brought the club in my opinion are: away form, defensively solidity, set piece proficiency. There's an argument these improvements have been to the detriment of other areas, but after years of seeing us always concede from corners and not able to buy an win away, this season has been refreshing from those perspectives. 

7 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

Are you the guy who said he 'hated' Warne yet have never met him? Your posting history makes it look as though you're on the forum just to have a go at the manager - if so that's sad when there's so many positives going on at our Club.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Jokes aside, if he got us promoted, you'd still think negatively of him? 

The main good things he's brought the club in my opinion are: away form, defensively solidity, set piece proficiency. There's an argument these improvements have been to the detriment of other areas, but after years of seeing us always concede from corners and not able to buy an win away, this season has been refreshing from those perspectives. 

If he got us promoted, then yeah I'd still want him gone and someone else in.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Are you the guy who said he 'hated' Warne yet have never met him? Your posting history makes it look as though you're on the forum just to have a go at the manager - if so that's sad when there's so many positives going on at our Club.

Funnily enough I thought he was great when he first came in. Said all the right things and was a breath of fresh air.

4 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

Funnily enough I thought he was great when he first came in. Said all the right things and was a breath of fresh air.

Just out of interest which are you ,,, Hatfield or McCoy?

The Rams with the Warne & his side
Behind the hatred, there lies
A murderous desire for love

How can they look into my eyes
And still they don't believe me?
How can they hear me say those words
Still they don't believe me?
And if they don't believe me now
Will they ever believe me?
And if they don't believe me now
Will they ever, they ever believe me?
Oh, oh, oh, oh