Paul Warne

Day

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

.......As at Barnsley, we looked more urgent in the last 10, largely to the opposition sitting on their lead 

Something we seem utterly incapable of at the moment.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but even before the kick-off last night, both my son and I were staggered at the lineup, given the attacking talent we had on the bench. This, for a home fixture against a team at the wrong end of the table with a dreadful winless streak. 

Neither of us is given to irrational knee-jerk reactions, being intelligent and level-headed men, but both of us have concluded that a change has to take place.  We know it won't be this season, so we'll suck it up and support the players, but we need to have a change at the helm in the Summer - whatever division we are in (League 1, most likely).  As others have said, attendance will continue to slide and this will impact revenues, given the turgid, lackluster and unexciting fayre being served.  Something is clearly not working, given the talent on paper at PW's disposal.  This group of players simply can't be so bereft of ideas; it must be down to how they are being coached to play the games. This league is a dire standard and whilst yes, we are still 2nd, I don't think that's because of our superiority, but rather the failings of others.

For the first time in my 60+ years of following this great club, I have never felt this despondent.  We will only get so many 'get out of jail' cards dealt and we must be near the end of them now.  We shouldn't have to rely on luck, but that's the only hope left right now for me.  If we do manage to limp out of this League, we'll face an even bigger challenge without some material change! 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

He went to QPR on loan last season so that’s not true, our manager openly stated that he didn’t want players like Martin when asked because he wants one that run around a lot and are good chaps and make him a coffee. Why would he want a Chris Martin who has demonstrated the highest goals ratio to minutes played in this league and controls the football and lays it off to others making forward midfield runs - but then again our midfielders aren’t allowed to do that.

I did wonder if Gayle might already be regretting signing for us. 😄 He did a good impression of a limited hold-up striker last night I thought. If he was waiting for service in the box or passes laid off for him he might have a long wait. 

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I attend the games when I can. I watch the games on TV when I can. Everyone has different circumstances. But nice attempt at point scoring.

50 games a year or 5 games a year, it wouldn’t change my current opinion that fans need to stick with the manager and the team.

It's not point scoring (much like the football last night). It's a lot easier when you're sat at home to just write it off as a poor performance and move on, when fans go regularly and spend their money to sit in the cold to watch the crap served up, they aren't going to do that. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Of course it's still all to play for. Just like it was end of last season. Only the fact the league is poor will get us promoted imo. 

How do you quantify how good other teams are ! .

I keep hearing this quote the League is poor .

Why is it any poorer please explain?

7 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Something we seem utterly incapable of at the moment.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but even before the kick-off last night, both my son and I were staggered at the lineup, given the attacking talent we had on the bench. This, for a home fixture against a team at the wrong end of the table with a dreadful winless streak. 

Neither of us is given to irrational knee-jerk reactions, being intelligent and level-headed men, but both of us have concluded that a change has to take place.  We know it won't be this season, so we'll suck it up and support the players, but we need to have a change at the helm in the Summer - whatever division we are in (League 1, most likely).  As others have said, attendance will continue to slide and this will impact revenues, given the turgid, lackluster and unexciting fayre being served.  Something is clearly not working, given the talent on paper at PW's disposal.  This group of players simply can't be so bereft of ideas; it must be down to how they are being coached to play the games. This league is a dire standard and whilst yes, we are still 2nd, I don't think that's because of our superiority, but rather the failings of others.

For the first time in my 60+ years of following this great club, I have never felt this despondent.  We will only get so many 'get out of jail' cards dealt and we must be near the end of them now.  We shouldn't have to rely on luck, but that's the only hope left right now for me.  If we do manage to limp out of this League, we'll face an even bigger challenge without some material change! 

My sentiments EXACTLY 👏

18 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Next season we will have worse players is the depressing statement and the better players of a football are leaving or wanted away from Warneball  for whatever reason given - McGoldrick to Notts county in a league below, Knight and Bird to Bristol city for goodness sake whilst NML has kept us away from the bottom half of this league of dreadful non football 

I don’t think they’re fair examples. McGoldrick made it very clear he’d always wanted to finish his career at Notts County. Knight and Bird are young players who are better than League 1 and I highly doubt they would have stayed in League 1 if their best mate was the Manager 

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

How do you quantify how good other teams are ! .

I keep hearing this quote the League is poor .

Why is it any poorer please explain?

Charlton are so poor they hadn't won in how many games? Oh come on Curtains last night was just another dreadful example of how Warne thinks we should play football - although I hear he threw his 'get out of jail' card into the ring, with a 'we haven't played well' all season remark! WTF. 😄 I can't remember the last game we played really well and still we manage to win games. But of course Warne tells us this League is much of a muchness so no wonder we struggle. 

How long have you been watching us, how many managers have you seen? This guy is managing at a different level to most of the previous managers I remember so it is difficult to see just how bad he is, but he's bad. 👍

Edited by RoyMac5

Will never boo our team at end of match but was tempted last night. If we dont go up I would sack PW immediately. Season tickets will be down if fans are faced with another season of this football in league 1. If we do go up I would still sack him immediately. PW has shown nothing to suggest he will even consolidate us staying up in championship. I wouldnt want PW involved in any way in more player decisions at the club if it was my money. I would hope david clowes is planning for both scenarios and has someone who will give him good footballing advice. Having said that I will trudge for every home match, support team and manager whilst there and trudge home again, and even desperately try for at least one away. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Charlton are so poor they hadn't won in how many games? Oh come on Curtains last night was just another dreadful example of how Warne thinks we should play football - although I hear he threw his 'get out of jail' card into the ring, with a 'we haven't played well' all season remark! WTF. 😄 I can't remember the last game we played really well and still we manage to win games. But of course Warne tells us this League is much of a muchness so no wonder we struggle. 

How long have you been watching us, how many managers have you see? This guy is managing at a different level to most of the previous managers I remember so it is difficult to see just how bad he is, but he's bad. 👍

I think you are being irrational to be honest .

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How long have you been watching us, how many managers have you seen? This guy is managing at a different level to most of the previous managers I remember so it is difficult to see just how bad he is, but he's bad. 👍

Watching approximately 51 years 

3 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Will never boo our team at end of match but was tempted last night. If we dont go up I would sack PW immediately. Season tickets will be down if fans are faced with another season of this football in league 1. If we do go up I would still sack him immediately. PW has shown nothing to suggest he will even consolidate us staying up in championship. I wouldnt want PW involved in any way in more player decisions at the club if it was my money. I would hope david clowes is planning for both scenarios and has someone who will give him good footballing advice. Having said that I will trudge for every home match, support team and manager whilst there and trudge home again, and even desperately try for at least one away. 

The players gave 100 percent last night even the goalkeeper allegedly 

5 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

100% totally sums me up as well 

49 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Warne and the players have 11-14 games to get things right. Clowes will be concerned about back to back losses but ultimately he will assess the situation at the end of the season when we know what division we’ll be in, so really so should we as a fanbase.

Last night was a worry but we have to believe while it’s still possible.

Vs Stevenage the gate was 27,055, Last night it was 24,557 a drop off of almost 2,500 that will be his concern, You'd have thought playing a team that hasn't won for circa 20 games fans would be flocking to see an avalanche of goals 😉 but know, I guess different reasons or just can't be arsed to watch the stuff on show.

If we don't get promoted and with an increase in season tickets...fans will vote with their feet...imo

20 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Realistically, David Clowes is not going to be sacking Paul Warne before the 27th April.

No matter how poor the football has been, and now recently results too, we are still second. Barnsley & Bolton have games in hand (against each other), but as it stands we’re second because we’ve won more points than all but 1 of the teams in our league this season.

I don’t think Warne is the long term answer, and if we don’t go up this season then that’s the point I would expect the change.

I personally don’t see the benefit of turning against the manager and the team at this stage when all it’s going to do is hinder the team further. It might not be very pretty but we can still get out of this league, and right now I think that’s the most important thing.

Very succinctly written, Kernow

We all have February slump PTSD so I do sympathise with those that are panicking

There’s a good chance I’ll also be sharpening my pitchfork at the end of the season if we don’t go up but for now, I’m not blinded by the “lack of entertainment” when this always has been a results business

How so many posters are convincing themselves that promotion almost isn’t worth it if Warne’s in charge shows how far from reality you can get when you dislike a manager. I remember thinking the same when Rowett was in charge but if we’d been promoted with him then we wouldn’t be here now - I couldn’t have been more wrong

I’ll put the tin hat on and say Warne’s biggest issue is managing the expectations of a bunch of pearl clutchers who can’t sit through the grim reality of League One football at their precious Derby County and boo the team

The football is trash- I can deal with that after watching promotion under Davies 

However biggest grip is the attacking mentality isn't there, we don't attack after the first goal; Barnsley, Peterborough and Charlton are examples of this.

Why was he reluctant to stick Weston on the bench when we had no strikers? 

Cashin at LB. The heck? Charlton realised Bradley was not the quickest second half and played down the middle.

He would have never gone for Waghorn or Gayle had it been for injuries.

His interviews are so OTT, I'm sure he's a nice guy but  being one won't get us promotion.

Get him gone in the Summer regardless of the league, I'd genuinely get Mcclaren back if it meant someone with attacking mindset.

Edited by Papahet

46 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Warne and the players have 11-14 games to get things right. Clowes will be concerned about back to back losses but ultimately he will assess the situation at the end of the season when we know what division we’ll be in, so really so should we as a fanbase.

It’s not going to be helpful to do it any sooner. It’s crunch time. We all need to be pulling in the same direction, not getting the knives out after every less than perfect result. People talk about the club being short termist, yet where the manager’s future is concerned, many of our fans are the same.

Clearly Warne and the players are feeling the pressure, and need our support to get the job done. Instead, if last night is anything to go by, the players and the manager will be dragged over the coals. 

People believe we have the best squad in the division and should be achieving more, but it doesn’t really add up. This is a League 1 group of players with the kind of limitations that are rampant at this level. Players don’t make the mistakes ours do and switch off in the way ours do with the same regularity in the Championship and above. 

Portsmouth have set the pace and led the way since early on and look fully deserving of promotion. We need to step up and show we deserve it too. If we don’t, Barnsley, Bolton and Peterborough will definitely oblige.

Last night was a worry but we have to believe while it’s still possible.

It’s the tactical naivety that’s the issue. Nearly every opposing coach worth his salt has done one on Warne. Unfortunately whatever league we are in, the other coaches are better. Quicker to change , quicker to apply and overall more resourceful.

i have given him the time but I’m afraid he and his team are out of their depth. It’s  No excuse time now, last night the cracks were chasms and my patience with him has gone. I’ve tried to sit on the fence and occasionally point out these failings but instead of course corrections there are glaring gaps in this management team’s ability.  As ever there is always an excuse. Never “hands up, I got it wrong, we need to re-appraise our approach. “  

The lack of contrition about where the problems are suggests that this is always going to be a concern.

It’s too late to change it now but this is not what the club needs. 

35 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What did we end up with on the pitch last night? NML, Wilson, Barks, CBT and Sibs (out wide-ish) how is that the players fault when they are obviously sent out to 'be on the grass' with no idea of how to play?!

I didn't watch it so will take your word for it, Players have a responsibility, If the 5 above were told to play..."out wide-ish" then either we have lemmings as players or a manager that's fcuking clueless 👍

What I find hard is the separation from how fans interpret the football we play, to what happens week after week and seemingly no change from the management team. Common themes are playing it on the floor, putting passes together, not being over reliant on crossing the ball as a method of attacking etc.

Difficult for them not wanting to be banned, but I can't recall any journalist asking PW about this. 

There were periods of the game last night when I thought that if someone didn't know the rules of football, they would think a team gets penalised for controlling the ball and passing it on the grass. It felt as if I was watching a football beach volleyball session where the ball mustn't hit the deck.

Surely it must be our players are being told to play in this way. I don't see any post match calling out from PW of our style of play unless it is not being 'aggressive' enough.

Teams can play there way out of this league ie Plymouth and Ipswich last season in particular, and on paper you'd think our players should be able to do this, but it seems that our quality players are being told to play like non league scrappers and it isn't working.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

You think the manager might do something about that? 😄

👏

😞

Even the most pro- Warne amongst us will find it difficult to argue with that question. Shame about the smiley face though.

Edited by Tamworthram