Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

I don’t know what funds we have available but a player I really rated in the 2 games against his current club this season is Peterborough midfielder Joel Randall , maybe out of our price range but exactly the sort of midfielder we should be looking for , absolutely dominated in the game at PP

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

My understanding is we will be "mid-table" in terms of Championship budgets. If we believe in our manager and recruitment team, we should finish above there. If they're below par we'll end up bottom half. Or if there is no better indicator of final position than player salaries (quite possibly true) then we'll likely finish mid-table. 

But from mid-table upwards I think it's right to think of us as an upper Championship club. Yes half a dozen teams will have *much* bigger budgets - but some of those will be destabilized by Premier League relegation. Take the fight to the division! Sell the Derby County dream to some players - as Rosenior managed with his League One signings. 

Ask Birmingham about mid table budget = mid table finish .

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:
5 hours ago, RamFan13 said:

Would definitely take Jonson Clarke-Harris as think he’s out of contract and also Brannagan. He looks quality.

Clarke-Harris has struggled in the Championship previously.   He would have been good in league 1.  Might be a fairly low risk signing though and with Joe Ward providing crosses, it could work out for him here.

Last time in championship, in a team that was relegated, he scored 12 goals in 2999 miniutes,which isn't that bad a record.

The guy thrives on crosses and has previously  played for Warne. On a free think this is someone we should definitely be looking at.

Edited by Donkey Derby

Someone I have been impressed by is James Trafford, the young lad playing in goal for Burnley, although he didn’t play on Saturday. Given the amount of pressure the Burnley defence has been under, ge has done exceptionally well whenever I have seen him. 

4 hours ago, Wolfie said:

That may well be true but we currently have nowhere near a mid table Championship squad, once those who are leaving have left, IMO.

We're playing catch-up and so we'll need investment that other teams don't require. Which is why I would say expectations of anything above half way are some way too high.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but who out of our current crop of players wouldn’t you say should be mid-table standard? 

Back 4/5 seem to be at least mid-table, no reason Cash and Nelson won’t be as good again this season. Vickers is a competent keeper, if not spectacular. 

Midfield agree needs a complete rebuild, our options next season are currently Fornah and that’s it, although hard to see the majority of those players leaving-Tommo, Sibs, Ebou (and maybe Smith?) all could cut it mid table if not higher. Likely need 1-2 key midfielders who would be expected to start most/all games. 

Up front-NML, CBT, Brown and Washington could be excellent if they realise potential, think add 3 attackers into that mix, although for what it’s worth Barks and Collins should be kept, replace Wash and add 2 new attackers. 

That’s 6 ‘new’ players we need if we are retaining some of what we have. Some smart frees in there and there’s no reason we couldn’t be spending reasonable fees on players too

17 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Someone I have been impressed by is James Trafford, the young lad playing in goal for Burnley, although he didn’t play on Saturday. Given the amount of pressure the Burnley defence has been under, ge has done exceptionally well whenever I have seen him. 

I should hope he has impressed you seeing as they signed him for 15mill, rising to 19mill from man city after staring in the England under 21 side in the summer.

Think a new contract for wildsmith might be a bit more in our reach 

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

He cost them about £20m in the summer??? Is he a genuine suggestion?

I thought the joke thread was in the Jim Smith forum.

He’s  been awful for Burnley this season. 

This thread really is the gift that keeps on giving 🤣

Who should we sign first, James Trafford, Will Hughes or Thomas Delaney?

Mate massive money prem move lol

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

He cost them about £20m in the summer??? Is he a genuine suggestion?

Evidently not!! I hadn't looked into his history, just liked the look of what I saw, and thought he might become available if Burnley are relegated. Ho Hum. Maybe the season after? !!!

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Am I the only one expecting our recruitment to be a bit more open minded than players from teams not quite good enough to get out of league 1?

Or Rotherham?

I would like to think you're right, but remain to be convinced. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. I had a lovely golden syrup sponge with custard the other day... 

Actually don't want us to keep that many from our out of contract players this time around. A bit harsh maybe but really think we need to do something different to be competitive in the champ. We have a great chance to build something new now and should go for it.

Looked att P'boro and think they have some real talent in their squad. Don't know contract situations but them and Barnsley should be raided by some team. Might as well be us.

Trafford is young and not yet strong enough. He’s undoubtedly a good shot stopper but he’s terrible on crosses.

Premier League teams have exploited this and Kompany has rested him.

3 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

29 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Evidently not!! I hadn't looked into his history, just liked the look of what I saw, and thought he might become available if Burnley are relegated. Ho Hum. Maybe the season after? !!!

He is really, really weak in the air. Reminds me of De Gea when he first went to Man U. I think he spent months in the gym bulking up and became very good a couple of years later

James Trafford will eventually be a very good keeper, but he’s just not developed enough. He wasn’t even close to being the best keeper in League One last season, but the potential is there. I was surprised when Burnley signed him and made him number one. 

Fozzie at CB might be our mvp next year. 

the div 2 playoffs are interesting. Some very skilful players looking good despite that they are playing on awful pitches. Crawley likely to get to Wembley but fall at that fence. Orsi might be free and worth a punt. Their US recruit Jeremy Kelly - whose arrival in left midfield in early 2024 marked their change in fortunes - would be a good signing for us.