Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

2 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

What a confusing, contradictory set of remarks. Please review and explain what you are getting at.

I believe being truly competitive in the Championship means aiming for the top six, but that requires a budget we won't have. Relegated Premier League teams receive huge financial advantages that put us at a disadvantage. Relying on aging free agents and young loanees is a recipe for a weak squad. On the other hand, spending the money necessary to improve could be financially disastrous. The club promises a 'competitive squad,' but that promise is meaningless when everyone has a different definition of competing. Mid-table might be realistic, but avoiding a relegation fight would be the bare minimum expectation. Sadly, we won't be able to attract top Championship players, further limiting our options. We keep selling our best young talent, meaning we now face the harsh reality of how much replacing them will cost.

It's ever so tight in the championship, 5 points separating 16th to 23rd and only 3 points between 18th and 23rd. The mid table party 12th to 15th divided by just 2 points. With the next group challenging for the play offs not too far away points wise.

For me, a first season up is just all about staying up, second season is cementing that mid table, with the third season moving into the next group and pushing for the play offs.

This brings gradual and continuous progression. We can't expect to do a Ipswich and challenge for promotion straight again. If that plays out, amazing, but realistically it won't happen. 

Let's get the job done here first, let's get promotion confirmed then let's worry about next season when it comes. 

What we should be trying to do with our recruitment is using a data led scouting approach, similar to what Brentford have used.

I'm not totally sure about how our recruitment team work, but that's probably down to me not paying enough attention to what the club are putting out. 

By using a data led approach I'm sure we could unearth a few gems. If we look at the LA Rams NFL team, they used data about players' physical stats (speed, runs, times etc) to find undervalued players. By doing this they found a player called Pika Nacua, who went from a late round draft pick straight to a key player for them. By looking at the data they found that he had the physical attributes that can't be coached and worked on refining his technical skills. 

There's also the famous Oakland A's baseball team, who were the team featured in the film Moneyball. They essentially looked at the specific stats they believed would lead to a winning team and signed players based on their findings.

It's fair to say our fanbase is in agreeable that Ebou Adams should be one of the targets for the summer, but why can't the club plug in his stats and see if there is anyone who is similar to him. Leading to Ebou Adams and Edou Adams 2.0 playing either side of a holding player like CH.

Similarly, we need another striker so we could look to see if there is anyone with impressive finishing stats (on top of others) who is within our price range.

Sorry no idea how to clear that. 

Re using data it'll be universal now amongst clubs our size at least as much as looking for players with certain characteristics .    We really need to find our own angle where we can be ahead of most of the competition.  Brentford did it by scrapping the academy and using the money to invest in potential for their B team.  I'd say we might want to look at a longer term route with the academy which then begs the question how do we make our academy more productive than most others.   If we want to recruit and retain the best young players we need to sell them a reason to choose us over higher profile clubs.   The most obvious one is to point to a load of successful academy graduates which is why it's essential we continue to bring players through - the manager has to buy into that even if at times an older experienced player would be safer in the here and now.   

After that stuff like making sure we offer better  outcomes for those that don't make it to reassure parents, that the academy players love being here so want to stay etc is vital. 

51 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Sorry no idea how to clear that. 

Re using data it'll be universal now amongst clubs our size at least as much as looking for players with certain characteristics .    We really need to find our own angle where we can be ahead of most of the competition.  Brentford did it by scrapping the academy and using the money to invest in potential for their B team.  I'd say we might want to look at a longer term route with the academy which then begs the question how do we make our academy more productive than most others.   If we want to recruit and retain the best young players we need to sell them a reason to choose us over higher profile clubs.   The most obvious one is to point to a load of successful academy graduates which is why it's essential we continue to bring players through - the manager has to buy into that even if at times an older experienced player would be safer in the here and now.   

After that stuff like making sure we offer better  outcomes for those that don't make it to reassure parents, that the academy players love being here so want to stay etc is vital. 

Matt Hale made a point which suggested our USP for academy players is opportunity. They're more likely to get game time with us than at a PL academy. I can't see Warne given them chances until our status in a division is confirmed (automatic promotion this season, or mathematically safe from relegation next season).

To be fair, it was similar under Clough, gave Huighes his debut early in the season (a couple of minutes in additional time), but then only gave him 20 minutes on the penultimate day of the season and first start on the last day. Hendrick was only given 4 sub apps at the end of the 10/11 season, before being a regular the next season. I hope we seal promotion early, so we can give Robinson the full 90 for Carlisle to prove himself. Maybe Brown too, since the National League season finishes before ours does (but only if the don't finish in the Playoffs)

3 hours ago, RYRAM said:

Will Hughes is on a free in the summer just saying 

Yep wages and yep will would have go up 

Just putting out there 

Tidy player though he undoubtedly is, he wouldn’t make the kind of impact his fee would command.

He’s neither a goal scorer nor an enforcer. He holds his position well and is a good passer but we need to spread the money across the squad.

Better to get a younger player base and try to mould them into a team for the future.

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Tidy player though he undoubtedly is, he wouldn’t make the kind of impact his fee would command.

He’s neither a goal scorer nor an enforcer. He holds his position well and is a good passer but we need to spread the money across the squad.

Better to get a younger player base and try to mould them into a team for the future.

He'd be class in a 3 with Adams and a ball carrier in front of them, if he has reasonable wage demands with Bird going and possibly Hourihane? Then it would make sense.

4 hours ago, RYRAM said:

Just putting out there 

Thanks for just saying, puts everything in context….just saying…

4 hours ago, RYRAM said:

Just putting out there 

Seen some people on Twitter saying no chance should we sign him as he’ll be looking for a last pay day. He’s only 28 years old for god sake, I think he’s the perfect player to take over from Hourihane and/or bird. A great left foot to play on the left side of a 2 or 3. Can take set pieces and has bite aswell as a range of passing. 

A midfield of 

Hughes     A creative player to get G + A

Adams 

we would easily stay up I reckon. 

Edited by Eoghan1884

4 hours ago, RYRAM said:

Just putting out there 

I suspect he'd have better offers and wages coming from a bottom end top flight/ promotion hopeful championship side for a couple of years.  Probably end up back at Watford or Burnley the milestone marker for all Derbys midfielders at some point.

20 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Seen some people on Twitter saying no chance should we sign him as he’ll be looking for a last pay day. He’s only 28 years old for god sake, I think he’s the perfect player to take over from Hourihane and/or bird. A great left foot to play on the left side of a 2 or 3. Can take set pieces and has bite aswell as a range of passing. 

A midfield of 

Hughes     A creative player to get G + A

Adams 

we would easily stay up I reckon. 

Easily stay up! If we got Hughes I’d hope we’d be up there if that’s the calibre of signing we make!

Hughes is a Prem / very top of Champ player for me (and going by his record). His wages will be the equivalent of about 8 players in L1.

I suspect he'll have a long career tho - late 30's you'd have thought given his style of play so prob got 10 years left in him.

And obviously, he'd tear-up L1 and the Champ. He'd be a cheat code. Won't happen.

Did we forget how early Hughes was playing regular first team football for us? I think he'll be finishing at the top level far earlier than we think, he's not your typical player who got eased in until he was early 20s. I've no idea what he'd do in the Championship but he looks like hes not good enough for the prem when I've seen bits of Palace 

Should Brighton’s Marc Leonard be on our radar for summer transfer window. Leonard’s performances in League One on loan at Northampton Town have been good, including against us.

9 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Could Ruel Sotiriou do a good job for us?

11 goals and 5 assists.

Suggested this guy a couple times, he’s also out of contract this summer. Doubt his wages would be too high and he’s also only 23 so plenty of upside to him. 

Marc Leonard would also be a great addition for the midfield where we will need a lot of added bodies. But it would have to be a loan and us be in the championship for it to happen. Under contract till 2025 with an option of another year so I think Brighton would want to see him at a higher level before making a decision.