Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

16 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Think we’re better at relating names and letters to positions rather than just first names.

Centre back = Curtis - Nelson, Davies 

Left wing = Tom - Lawrence, Barkhuizen 

No.10 = first name beginning with M - Matej Vydra, Mason Mount, Max Bird 

Striker = having a C - Collins, Colin Kazim, Chris Martin

Can probably tell I’m derby deprived

Chris Martin you say 👀.

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don't get comments like this. There's no reason to think we shouldn't be considered an upper Championship club.

We're not here to feed off scraps and be a Rotherham, trying to stave off relegation. We will be up with Leeds and Sunderland as the best supported club, with some of the best facilities. 

We are one of the best supported clubs and we do have quality facilities. Sadly, the Championship has become about 2 things if you want to spend on players - parachute payments or an owner with deep pockets.

David Clowes doesn’t have millions to throw around and he’s right to not do so. We’ve got a budget and we will work to it. That means we will miss out on targets who will go to other clubs for more money, despite being “smaller” than us.

Every year the Champ top 6 is full of the same teams, the yoyo clubs with lots of money. But every year there’s a team up there who don’t have the financial outlay but instead have a team with fight and hard working players (Ipswich, Luton, even Forest) our aim seems to be to build a team that can stick together in every match and work our way up slowly. 

17 minutes ago, r4derby said:

We are one of the best supported clubs and we do have quality facilities. Sadly, the Championship has become about 2 things if you want to spend on players - parachute payments or an owner with deep pockets.

David Clowes doesn’t have millions to throw around and he’s right to not do so. We’ve got a budget and we will work to it. That means we will miss out on targets who will go to other clubs for more money, despite being “smaller” than us.

Every year the Champ top 6 is full of the same teams, the yoyo clubs with lots of money. But every year there’s a team up there who don’t have the financial outlay but instead have a team with fight and hard working players (Ipswich, Luton, even Forest) our aim seems to be to build a team that can stick together in every match and work our way up slowly. 

Forest had a measly £59m wage bill when promoted. The 3rd highest in the league that season and £17m ahead of 4th highest

31 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Pearce seem to indicate that as part of the 'business plan' set out by Clowes that he was willing to inject roughly £10m of his own cash, well profits from his company per annum, on top of day-to-day spending. I think the operating loss in our first season was roughly £10m and that was anticipated going forward. I don't think promotion changes that approach. 

It's absolutely right we aren't going to be back up to a £44m wage budget and £15m net spend anytime soon but I do think that we will see Derby operate comfortably within the Championship in it's current form, i.e. competitive with Bristol, Preston, etc.

We don't really have many saleable assets within our first-team, that's a problem from a transfer-budget POV this summer, but I would encourage the club, should they believe in the recruitment staff they have put in place, to go and find players and invest in them as assets. 

As I said, the approach under Mel (in hindsight) was signing experience pros at the top of their ability and giving them 3-4 year contracts. They weren't saleable assets. We never even gave ourselves a chance to recoup costs. I would impose that any players signed on fees have to be younger than 24 - three year contracts as a minimum. If you sign a player for £5m and in a year's time he's not hit the heights, you could still recoup a fee on a 23 year old who has previously shown promise. Difficult when that player is 29 or even 30. 

17 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Anyone with a surname beginning with the letter X, I believe it’s the only letter we’ve never had.

We can try to convince Granit Xhaka that winning the Bundesliga isn't as fun as a season in the Championship.

Failing that, I think the Chinese leagues are your best bet.

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Pearce seem to indicate that as part of the 'business plan' set out by Clowes that he was willing to inject roughly £10m of his own cash, well profits from his company per annum, on top of day-to-day spending. I think the operating loss in our first season was roughly £10m and that was anticipated going forward. I don't think promotion changes that approach. 

It's absolutely right we aren't going to be back up to a £44m wage budget and £15m net spend anytime soon but I do think that we will see Derby operate comfortably within the Championship in it's current form, i.e. competitive with Bristol, Preston, etc.

We don't really have many saleable assets within our first-team, that's a problem from a transfer-budget POV this summer, but I would encourage the club, should they believe in the recruitment staff they have put in place, to go and find players and invest in them as assets. 

As I said, the approach under Mel (in hindsight) was signing experience pros at the top of their ability and giving them 3-4 year contracts. They weren't saleable assets. We never even gave ourselves a chance to recoup costs. I would impose that any players signed on fees have to be younger than 24 - three year contracts as a minimum. If you sign a player for £5m and in a year's time he's not hit the heights, you could still recoup a fee on a 23 year old who has previously shown promise. Difficult when that player is 29 or even 30. 

Agree with that... invest larger fees (£1m+) in players who are considered "assets" , though I'd push the age up to ~26. We can still pay nominal fees for older pros in the right circumstances (Ebouuuuuu). Most players older than this should be bosmans as there's plenty of them available every summer.

10 minutes ago, RamFan13 said:

Would definitely take Jonson Clarke-Harris as think he’s out of contract and also Brannagan. He looks quality.

I think Brannagan signed a new contract last year so might be out of our financial league, even if they don’t go up. Looks class though. 

Adam Phillips was voted Barnsley POTS again and might be available at a reasonable price. 

Joe Taylor from Luton would be class up top. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Posh notorious for getting a lot of money for their players. It’s an expensive pool to fish from. Would like to think we scout more rough gems than that nowadays. 

Not the only ones , Florists have raked in almost £100 million for a handful of academy players . It’s about time we got on the bandwagon.

26 minutes ago, RamFan13 said:

Would definitely take Jonson Clarke-Harris as think he’s out of contract and also Brannagan. He looks quality.

Clarke-Harris has struggled in the Championship previously.   He would have been good in league 1.  Might be a fairly low risk signing though and with Joe Ward providing crosses, it could work out for him here.

26 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Not the only ones , Florists have raked in almost £100 million for a handful of academy players . It’s about time we got on the bandwagon.

The trick is to concentrate on getting in the better quality youngsters who are good going forward and get them in the first team, that's the money. 

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don't get comments like this. There's no reason to think we shouldn't be considered an upper Championship club.

We're not here to feed off scraps and be a Rotherham, trying to stave off relegation. We will be up with Leeds and Sunderland as the best supported club, with some of the best facilities. 

Absolutely, but that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying it because our budget simply won't match the relegated clubs with 'chute payments. We also aren't going to be throwing around silly contracts.

I'd take Altrincham's Chris Conn-Clarke.

From the relegated championship clubs I'd take any of these:

Michel Helik (Huddersfield), Sorba Thomas (Huddersfield), Dion Sanderson (Birmingham), Juninho Bacuna (Birmingham).

35 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Absolutely, but that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying it because our budget simply won't match the relegated clubs with 'chute payments. We also aren't going to be throwing around silly contracts.

My understanding is we will be "mid-table" in terms of Championship budgets. If we believe in our manager and recruitment team, we should finish above there. If they're below par we'll end up bottom half. Or if there is no better indicator of final position than player salaries (quite possibly true) then we'll likely finish mid-table. 

But from mid-table upwards I think it's right to think of us as an upper Championship club. Yes half a dozen teams will have *much* bigger budgets - but some of those will be destabilized by Premier League relegation. Take the fight to the division! Sell the Derby County dream to some players - as Rosenior managed with his League One signings. 

9 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

My understanding is we will be "mid-table" in terms of Championship budgets.

That may well be true but we currently have nowhere near a mid table Championship squad, once those who are leaving have left, IMO.

We're playing catch-up and so we'll need investment that other teams don't require. Which is why I would say expectations of anything above half way are some way too high.

Once we have got rid of our free agent players over 30 with zero desire from most other teams for their services and almost zero resale value. Players on crazy wages.

Then we can start the rebuild instead of being the oldest team in the championship in the same way we've been the oldest squad in league one.

Then we can have players that we might be able to sell on for a profit instead of getting zero return.

Then we can maybe start to compete against teams in the championship who can either build quality squads through their premiership parachute payments or just because the owners are bank rolling them to buy premiership cast offs.

Our recruitment needs to be be very clever in the moves it makes.