Derby v Shrewsbury Town - Match Day Thread

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

A reaction to giving away late goals. 👍 We nearly did it against Shrewsbury, Nelson should have scored at least.

Loitering with intent to use a zebra crossing, wearing a loud shirt between 11.00 PM and 5.00 AM, walking in a “funny” way.

(with thanks to Not the 9.00 o’clock news ) 

8 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Doesn't that sentence contradict itself? The answer is because those teams aren't that good, and supports the point that the league isn't strong.

Once again, what does that even mean? More waffle. Why don't you actually express an opinion for once?

Because its almost unprecedented. Two even having points deductions. Its basically removing three strong rivals before the seasons started. Why can't you concede its a rare advantage to Derby.

There's also examples of teams who have gone straight back up. We're a bigger club than the examples you gave, except Wednesday and Sunderland, and they were both still in the middle of their difficulties while in L1.

Why put us down so much? I know you're going to say we have to deal with where we are, and the reality is we're a L1 club at the moment. But comparing us to Charlton? come on.  

Bolton, Barnsley, and Peterborough all finished last season above us and they are all in contention again this season. They are good teams. They are the benchmark for us this season. We knew that if we wanted to get promoted, it’s these teams we would have to outperform.

There is no contradiction. I am saying they are good teams in a competitive league. If the league wasn’t competitive, these teams and indeed ourselves would be dropping points far less frequently.

More waffle? I’ll put be putting Brussels out of business at this rate. I express my opinions plenty, if you disagree with them or can’t comprehend them, that’s fine.

How much of an advantage have we had with Wigan and Reading being in financial difficulties and having points deductions really? Reading and Wigan have beaten us this season. Reading have pipped us to transfer targets. Surely it’s the likes of Portsmouth, Oxford, Blackpool and Stevenage who have profited from this?

Love all the spurious, near-unanswerable questions which depict a future based on a blind-faith-lead, theoretical idea that Warne has what it takes to manage in the Championship and would see us matching the likes of Ipswich, Sunderland & Plymouth rather than Sheffield Weds, who are the club we're most comparable to out of last season's promoted teams. 

Ipswich & Plymouth have had success due to appointing progressive young managers, Sunderland got up through Neil (not great) but made a very shrewd appointment in Mowbray after he left.  Coventry & Robins I don't know a great deal about but he appears to be one of those managers who's just clicked at a certain club and feels like the right fit. Sheff Weds may yet stand a chance of staying up because Danny Röhl looks a good appointment, he also seems to be well regarded as another of progressive types.

The whole "competitive league" thing is the same argument Forest fans were roundly laughed at for coming out with with last season to make it sound like they were beating all the odds to stay up, despite it mainly being because of the way other teams imploded after years of poor management caught up with them and Forest's own £150m+ splurge producing  just enough s*** to stick to the wall.

A league can be both more competive but also far weaker, and that probably fits in with what we're seeing - we do get results because we put in the graft, there's plenty of industry and  'busywork' (and it has always been to Warne's credit that he recognises how important that is) which covers the competitiveness, but we also have individuals with more quality (and just as importaintly experience) than pretty much anyone else, which covers the general lowering of quality.

That will (probaby) be enough to get us out of League One this season, but to stay in the Championship you can't just rely on the hard work, and I think it unlikely that, whatever our budget, we'll be able to bring in enough (/good enough) players to provide that individual quality to the degree we'll be able to play poorly collectively but still scrape enough points for survival.

That means needing a manager who can do those (cliched) "producing a team better than the sum of its parts", "performing above budget" and "out-thinking the opposition" things.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

8 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Doesn't that sentence contradict itself? The answer is because those teams aren't that good, and supports the point that the league isn't strong.

Once again, what does that even mean? More waffle. Why don't you actually express an opinion for once?

Because its almost unprecedented. Two even having points deductions. Its basically removing three strong rivals before the seasons started. Why can't you concede its a rare advantage to Derby.

There's also examples of teams who have gone straight back up. We're a bigger club than the examples you gave, except Wednesday and Sunderland, and they were both still in the middle of their difficulties while in L1.

Why put us down so much? I know you're going to say we have to deal with where we are, and the reality is we're a L1 club at the moment. But comparing us to Charlton? come on.  

6 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Love all the spurious, near-unanswerable questions which depict a future based on a blind-faith-lead, theoretical idea that Warne has what it takes to manage in the Championship and would see us matching the likes of Ipswich, Sunderland & Plymouth rather than Sheffield Weds, who are the club we're most comparable to out of last season's promoted teams. 

Ipswich & Plymouth have had success due to appointing progressive young managers, Sunderland got up through Neil (not great) but made a very shrewd appointment in Mowbray after he left.  Coventry & Robins I don't know a great deal about but he appears to be one of those managers who's just clicked at a certain club and feels like the right fit. Sheff Weds may yet stand a chance of staying up because Danny Röhl looks a good appointment, he also seems to be well regarded as another of progressive types.

The whole "competitive league" thing is the same argument Forest fans were roundly laughed at for coming out with with last season to make it sound like they were beating all the odds to stay up, despite it mainly being because of the way other teams imploded after years of poor management caught up with them and Forest's own £150m+ splurge producing  just enough s*** to stick to the wall.

A league can be both more competive but also far weaker, and that probably fits in with what we're seeing - we do get results because we put in the graft, there's plenty of industry and  'busywork' (and it has always been to Warne's credit that he recognises how important that is) which covers the competitiveness, but we also have individuals with more quality (and just as importaintly experience) than pretty much anyone else, which covers the general lowering of quality.

That will (probaby) be enough to get us out of League One this season, but to stay in the Championship you can't just rely on the hard work, and I think it unlikely that, whatever our budget, we'll be able to bring in enough (/good enough) players to provide that individual quality to the degree we'll be able to play poorly collectively but still scrape enough points for survival.

That means needing a manager who can do those (cliched) "producing a team better than the sum of its parts", "performing above budget" and "out-thinking the opposition" things.

That final sentence. Well yes of course. There’s a handful of Fergie’s sitting on the pavement outside Aldi in Chad with gizza job badges and we just drove past. 

10 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Considerably better? I watched four of the six games and I have to say we were competitive against all three sides.

Plymouth away, we were the better side for 55-60 minutes and should have taken our chances to put the game to bed. Barkhuizen couldn’t score with a point blank range header and the game turned. Plymouth caught us in the break and got a very fortunate penalty.

Wednesday away, we were the better side until Davies’ mistake and even with 10 men, we kept Wednesday honest and created some good openings. Bird had a glorious chance to level it.

Wednesday at home, it was a drab game and both teams very much cancelled each other out. Of the few chances, we had the best of them.

Ipswich away, our approach was not pretty yes but it was a reasonable plan to contain and frustrate Ipswich and it would have worked if we hadn’t made such an unforgivable mistake in defence, another one by Davies as I remember.

This idea that they were levels above in quality, I don’t get. Consistency and ability to hold their nerve, yes. But actual quality? It’s closer than people say.

I disagree. I really do. We didn’t have a shot on target against Ipswich away. It was the first time I really understood just how bleak Warne’s football could be. 
There’s nobody in this division we shouldn’t be mustering a shot in target against. That was embarrassing. I have to assume it’s because they had so much more quality than us than it being part of a game plan. 

Plymouth always looked like coming back against us after our unexpected opener - you talk about them being fortunate. Look at the state of NML goal again against them 😂 never seen owt like it. 

Wednesday as I said - didn’t feel great against us but they consistently did it against the cannon fodder in this division (ie anyone below the top 8). 

2 teams achieved over 100 points last year in a more difficult division (in my opinion). We have improved our squad. The only place on paper we were weaker is up top but Collins has stepped up and replaced McG’s goals and NML has upped his output too so that hasn’t actually been an issue. 

I know we are worlds apart on this. I’d see not going up this year as a failure - even if we lost in the playoffs because I genuinely think our squad is top 2 quality. This isn’t me having blinkers on - I listen to the podcasts that discuss league 1 football and they all had us for top 2 before a ball was kicked. Bookies had us heavy favourites too. 

12 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I disagree. I really do. We didn’t have a shot on target against Ipswich away. It was the first time I really understood just how bleak Warne’s football could be. 
There’s nobody in this division we shouldn’t be mustering a shot in target against. That was embarrassing. I have to assume it’s because they had so much more quality than us than it being part of a game plan. 

Plymouth always looked like coming back against us after our unexpected opener - you talk about them being fortunate. Look at the state of NML goal again against them 😂 never seen owt like it. 

Completely agree.

We got absolutely battered against Ipswich away, they had numerous opportunities. Finished 1.7xG - 0.14xG, with us only have 3 shots in the box. Again, Ipswich at home, we got dominated. We couldn't get near them in the first half, we had a small spell in the second half with our disallowed goal but that was it.

Plymouth at home, we were 2-0 up and half time and I remember speaking to the people around me thinking how the hell we were 2-0 up, we'd been battered. Then the fair result came to be in the end. Against them away it was an even competitive game.  

21 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Completely agree.

We got absolutely battered against Ipswich away, they had numerous opportunities. Finished 1.7xG - 0.14xG, with us only have 3 shots in the box. Again, Ipswich at home, we got dominated. We couldn't get near them in the first half, we had a small spell in the second half with our disallowed goal but that was it.

Plymouth at home, we were 2-0 up and half time and I remember speaking to the people around me thinking how the hell we were 2-0 up, we'd been battered. Then the fair result came to be in the end. Against them away it was an even competitive game.  

Completely forgot about the home game! @Jourdan we were battered by Plymouth at home and as Jubba says I have no idea how we went 2-0 up! 

3 hours ago, jono said:

That final sentence. Well yes of course. There’s a handful of Fergie’s sitting on the pavement outside Aldi in Chad with gizza job badges and we just drove past. 

I think you're better than making out my post asked for us to be looking for the next Alex Ferguson. 🙄 That's on a par with accusing people not happy with our performances of thinking we should be playing like prime Barcelona.

I wouldn't expect a manager to do all of those things all of the time, but to do at least some of those things more than once in a blue moon would be quite useful, and will be needed if we are to progress.

There's a long, long, long distance between Alex Ferguson and a manager better equipped than Warne who, by his own admission, isn't even the brains of the operation.

I'm always open to the idea that Warne could improve, but I'm not gong to hang my hat on it happening without solid evidence like some seem willing to do. That might mean that when we go up he needs to do a bit of a rejig of his backroom staff, but like Nigel Clough before him there's potential that his loyalty to certain people may hold him back.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

12 hours ago, jono said:

For the record Roy .. we are top for giving away late goals .. Oh and top for scoring late goals so where does that sitting back come from ?

Our late goals  have come when we are losing or drawing. The late goals against us have cone when we have gone a goal ahead, or have been pegged back to a draw and then tried to defend it. There is a difference, especially in consequence. If we can pull a game back when we aren’t sitting back, then we can pull away or ahead by not sitting back once we are in the lead.

12 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Bolton, Barnsley, and Peterborough all finished last season above us and they are all in contention again this season. They are good teams. They are the benchmark for us this season. We knew that if we wanted to get promoted, it’s these teams we would have to outperform.

There is no contradiction. I am saying they are good teams in a competitive league. If the league wasn’t competitive, these teams and indeed ourselves would be dropping points far less frequently.

More waffle? I’ll put be putting Brussels out of business at this rate. I express my opinions plenty, if you disagree with them or can’t comprehend them, that’s fine.

How much of an advantage have we had with Wigan and Reading being in financial difficulties and having points deductions really? Reading and Wigan have beaten us this season. Reading have pipped us to transfer targets. Surely it’s the likes of Portsmouth, Oxford, Blackpool and Stevenage who have profited from this?

Bolton - Their 2 best players from last season were only on loan and have failed to replace them with equally as good players.

Barnsley - Lost their manager who was a significant step up from the previous 4 managers they had, so were isntantly weaker. They also sold their keeper and 2 best CBs, all have been replaced with worse players.

Peterborough - Reduced their squad size so much that a RB being recalled and a winger being injured is massively derailing their season. Tried to sell their top scorer, failed, then dropped him to a backup option. Sold/released 3 of their top 5 scorers from last season, one of which was also their joint 2nd top assister with another of those being sold being their 5th top assister. They had a massive rebuild job to do over the summer

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bolton - Their 2 best players from last season were only on loan and have failed to replace them with equally as good players.

Barnsley - Lost their manager who was a significant step up from the previous 4 managers they had, so were isntantly weaker. They also sold their keeper and 2 best CBs, all have been replaced with worse players.

Peterborough - Reduced their squad size so much that a RB being recalled and a winger being injured is massively derailing their season. Tried to sell their top scorer, failed, then dropped him to a backup option. Sold/released 3 of their top 5 scorers from last season, one of which was also their joint 2nd top assister with another of those being sold being their 5th top assister. They had a massive rebuild job to do over the summer

Derby lost DM, Knight, Dobbin, Robert's, Davies, have two forwards out injured...I could go on. 

27 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Derby lost DM, Knight, Dobbin, Robert's, Davies, have two forwards out injured...I could go on. 

But bought in 3 full/wingbacks, the cb he’d been courting all summer, a better back up keeper. Dobbin wasn’t getting a start, Davies has been replaced by the better Nelson (hurts saying that), McGoldricks goals have been replaced by Collins and NML stepping up. Forsyth has been solid and I genuinely think Elder is an excellent player at this level who will win fans around. 

Knight the real loss in the middle but spent just as much time at right back last season and I’d argue Nyambe is a better right back. 

There’s no doubting for me that we are a stronger outfit than last season and a fit back up striker away from being arguably the strongest squad in the division.