Derby v Shrewsbury Town - Match Day Thread

24 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The reason Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough aren't running away with it, because they are also poor. Hence why people like myself call the league poor. 

Do you genuinely believe that the league is as good this year? 

I watched Ipswich, Plymouth and Wednesday against us last season and I didn’t feel they were massively ahead of us in terms of quality, but granted I missed Ipswich at home at a time when they were really motoring.

All of the games I saw were tight and decided on fine margins. Better they were, but not by much. I think where all three teams were better than us was at maintaining their consistency levels and being able to finish strongly.

Is this year as good? It’s impossible to objectively quantify and everyone’s opinion will be different. Personally I think it’s at the same level in terms of difficulty and competitiveness and if you look back to the same time last season, the table is trending in a similar way.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I watched Ipswich, Plymouth and Wednesday against us last season and I didn’t feel they were massively ahead of us in terms of quality, but granted I missed Ipswich at home at a time when they were really motoring.

All of the games I saw were tight and decided on fine margins. Better they were, but not by much. I think where all three teams were better than us was at maintaining their consistency levels and being able to finish strongly.

Is this year as good? It’s impossible to objectively quantify and everyone’s opinion will be different. Personally I think it’s at the same level in terms of difficulty and competitiveness and if you look back to the same time last season, the table is trending in a similar way.

You think we're as good as we were last season, I don't. Just my opinion obvs 👍.

Edited by RoyMac5

36 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Stevenage were playing in L2 last season and are now 6th, equal to their highest ever finsoh in English football! Leyton Orient also promoted and are 9th. 

If a side can go from L2 to 6th, it shouldn't take much for a side to improve on a 7th place finish last season.

And we are on track to do that 

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Stevenage were playing in L2 last season and are now 6th, equal to their highest ever finsoh in English football! Leyton Orient also promoted and are 9th. 

If a side can go from L2 to 6th, it shouldn't take much for a side to improve on a 7th place finish last season.

Do teams never get promoted and overachieve the following season?

Is such a phenomenon exclusive to League 1?

Didn’t Sheffield United and Wolves not long ago finish in the top half of the PL following promotion?

If it’s possible in the PL, why should we be surprised to see it in League 1 where the margins are much finer?

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:
6 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

The football is pretty crap to watch and often we're tactically all over the place, which I think Warne is certainly to blame for, but we have a decent shot at the autos with 15 games to go. Cheer up.

That is the only reason to be cheerful. Lets hope Warne doesn't screw up like last season. #COYR

Well, he could do just that. Just like last season after a good unbeaten run playing with 4 at the back, Mr Warne is now tinkering and reverting to 3 at the back. And we all know what happened last season. Listen to MIKE BASSETT ENGLAND MANAGER, it's 4-4-2.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Ipswich and Plymouth both looked considerably better than us in our matches last season even if the results were close. 

Wednesday didn’t but they were proper flat track bullies and beat who they should have been beating. 

22 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Ipswich and Plymouth both looked considerably better than us in our matches last season even if the results were close. 

Wednesday didn’t but they were proper flat track bullies and beat who they should have been beating. 

Considerably better? I watched four of the six games and I have to say we were competitive against all three sides.

Plymouth away, we were the better side for 55-60 minutes and should have taken our chances to put the game to bed. Barkhuizen couldn’t score with a point blank range header and the game turned. Plymouth caught us in the break and got a very fortunate penalty.

Wednesday away, we were the better side until Davies’ mistake and even with 10 men, we kept Wednesday honest and created some good openings. Bird had a glorious chance to level it.

Wednesday at home, it was a drab game and both teams very much cancelled each other out. Of the few chances, we had the best of them.

Ipswich away, our approach was not pretty yes but it was a reasonable plan to contain and frustrate Ipswich and it would have worked if we hadn’t made such an unforgivable mistake in defence, another one by Davies as I remember.

This idea that they were levels above in quality, I don’t get. Consistency and ability to hold their nerve, yes. But actual quality? It’s closer than people say.

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So the manager doesn't know how to get the best from his players, he thinks they won't make mistakes? I see. If only we'd tried to score more than one goal and not sat back.

Roy, sorry to be personal, it isn’t really my style but you are like a dodgy cop. Make the evidence fit the story. Ok you don’t like Warne .. I think we all know that now. 

For the record no manager knows how to get the best out of their players week on week and certainly not in L1. Some managers are better than others, some players are better than others. The league table gives a good idea how both bits are working. I’d probably be agreeing with your arguments if we were in 17th place. But we aren’t .

1 minute ago, jono said:

Roy, sorry to be personal, it isn’t really my style but you are like a dodgy cop. Make the evidence fit the story. Ok you don’t like Warne .. I think we all know that now. 
For the record no manager knows how to get the best out of their players week on week and certainly not in L1. Some managers are better than others, some players are better than others. The league table gives a good idea how both bits are working. I’d probably be agreeing with your arguments if we were in 17th place. But we aren’t .

For the record it's not the first time we've given the lead away like Shrews is it - you make your theory fit the facts, it's only because you're a fan of Warne isn't it? Week on week is about right, still not figured that we don't need to sit back on a lead! 😄

13 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Considerably better? I watched four of the six games and I have to say we were competitive against all three sides.

Plymouth away, we were the better side for 55-60 minutes and should have taken our chances to put the game to bed. Barkhuizen couldn’t score with a point blank range header and the game turned. Plymouth caught us in the break and got a very fortunate penalty.

Wednesday away, we were the better side until Davies’ mistake and even with 10 men, we kept Wednesday honest and created some good openings. Bird had a glorious chance to level it.

Wednesday at home, it was a drab game and both teams very much cancelled each other out. Of the few chances, we had the best of them.

Ipswich away, our approach was not pretty yes but it was a reasonable plan to contain and frustrate Ipswich and it would have worked if we hadn’t made such an unforgivable mistake in defence, another one by Davies as I remember.

This idea that they were levels above in quality, I don’t get. Consistency and ability to hold their nerve, yes. But actual quality? It’s closer than people say.

Wednesday were pretty basic. Plymouth-particularly their midfielder Houghton tore us too bits for an hour at home.  Away was closer but we sat back too much.  Ipswich were miles better in both games albeit we had a header ruled out for nowt.  Based on the evidence though, they'd have beat us 8 times out of 10.

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

For the record it's not the first time we've given the lead away like Shrews is it - you make your theory fit the facts, it's only because you're a fan of Warne isn't it? Week on week is about right, still not figured that we don't need to sit back on a lead! 😄

For the record Roy .. we are top for giving away late goals .. Oh and top for scoring late goals so where does that sitting back come from ?

4 minutes ago, jono said:

For the record Roy .. we are top for giving away late goals .. Oh and top for scoring late goals so where does that sitting back come from ?

A reaction to giving away late goals. 👍 We nearly did it against Shrewsbury, Nelson should have scored at least.

Edited by RoyMac5

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

The point being discussed was that we are only where we are because the league is poor. If that was true, why aren’t Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough taking advantage and running away with the league?

Doesn't that sentence contradict itself? The answer is because those teams aren't that good, and supports the point that the league isn't strong.

What makes a league strong or weak, much like what makes a football team good to watch, is purely subjective.

Once again, what does that even mean? More waffle. Why don't you actually express an opinion for once?

It was 2014-15 the last time none of the relegated teams competed for promotion or play-offs. What is the relevance?

Because its almost unprecedented. Two even having points deductions. Its basically removing three strong rivals before the seasons started. Why can't you concede its a rare advantage to Derby.

There are countless other examples of relegated teams (Bolton, Ipswich, Wednesday, Charlton, Sunderland) who have not adjusted to League 1 so easily and there are teams that have taken years to rebuild and get out of the league. Some are still stuck here.

There's also examples of teams who have gone straight back up. We're a bigger club than the examples you gave, except Wednesday and Sunderland, and they were both still in the middle of their difficulties while in L1.

Why put us down so much? I know you're going to say we have to deal with where we are, and the reality is we're a L1 club at the moment. But comparing us to Charlton? come on.