Where do you think we'll finish this season?

Just now, Gaspode said:

Really? - we're a team that's relied on individual bits of brilliance in the main - can hardly remember any games that we've looked like we were properly in control of. An injury or suspension for Collins will be catastrophic with no backup in place and the older players will struggle towards the end of the season due to the school teacher's approach. Let's hope the booble hat can find a suitable out of contract player to bolster the forward line...

Don’t disagree with some of your points, yes Collo staying fit is even more important now. But think you’re giving the other teams too much credit, 8th if we’re lucky when we’re 10 points ahead of Blackpool currently and there is a chasm of difference between us and 9th think it’s an overly pessimistic take from you personally. When we’ve been bad we’ve been clinical for the most part and that’s what will get us in the playoffs at least. 

16 hours ago, CapeTownRams said:

The chances of us winning away at Barnsley and Pompey given our record at those two grounds …!!????😱

Records are there to be broken

neither of those sides is ripping it up at the mo

we’ve had a poor spell by our recent standards yet maintained our position. No reason we can’t go to either and win. We’ve never been to Pompey or Barnsley with this team firing

bring em on 🐏👍

30 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

1. Bolton

2. Pompey

3. Peterborough

4. Derby

5. Barnsley

6. Oxford

Barnsley to beat us in the playoffs & a managerial change in May

I agree with your top 6 and probably your top 2. I'd obviously be disappointed if I saw us lose another play off final (not least because my wife and her family are from Barnsley 😀) and I'd be amazed if PW was shown the door if we did reach the final (even if we lost it).

5 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

1. Bolton

2. Pompey

3. Peterborough

4. Derby

5. Barnsley

6. Oxford

Barnsley to beat us in the playoffs & a managerial change in May

Tend to agree more or less with the top six prediction. We probably don't have enough in the squad to make it to the play off final, but I would still expect Warne to be the manager next season. The club is apparently losing money and the sale of Max Bird is going to offset some of the losses. The club can hardly afford to pay off the manager and his coaching staff. 

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree with your top 6 and probably your top 2. I'd obviously be disappointed if I saw us lose another play off final (not least because my wife and her family are from Barnsley 😀) and I'd be amazed if PW was shown the door if we did reach the final (even if we lost it).

I don't think a departure would be solely down to results. As per 'Clowes losing faith in recruitment process' thread, I think our strategy as a club is about to change this summer post-restrictions to finding young talent to develop & sell at a profit. Thats why Mark Thomas is here & I think thats why the taps have been turned off for any more short term Warne signings (CBT has long term value of course). That strategy is basically the polar opposite of how Warne works as a manager.

The only way I believe Warne stays is if we go up & that would largely be out of courtesy to give him a crack at the division above. 

24 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

We can't go to Wembley this May, I'm away on holiday, so I'm hoping we can finish 2nd.

School boy error there.

When discussing this years holidays, I told the wife as soon as the dates were announced that we can't be away that weekend. Just in case. 😀

Portsmouth 15 games left, 8 home, 7 away. 7 of their remaining games against current top half teams including Oxford, Blackpool, Peterboro, Barnsley, Derby, Bolton and Lincoln.                                                                                                                                               Derby 16 games left, 9 home, 7 away. 8 of their remaining games against current top half teams including Stevenage, Barnsley, Bristol, Bolton, Northampton, Blackpool, Portsmouth and Orient.                                                                                                                               Bolton 18 games left, 8 home, 10 away. 10 of their remaining games against current top half teams including Northampton, Blackpool, Barnsley, Oxford, Derby, Stevenage, Bristol, Portsmouth and Peterboro.                                                                                                      Peterboro 17 games left, 9 home, 8 away. 8 of their remaining games against current top half teams including Blackpool, Northampton, Stevenage, Portsmouth, Orient, Oxford, Bristol and Bolton.                                                                                                                              Barnsley 17 games left, 8 home, 9 away. 8 of their remaining games against current top half teams including Orient, Derby, Bolton, Lincoln, Portsmouth, Blackpool, Northampton and Stevenage.                                                                                                                   Stevenage 18 games left, 10 home, 8 away. 8 of their remaining games against current top half teams including Bristol, Derby, Lincoln, Peterboro, Orient, Bolton, Oxford and Barnsley.

I have only included the current 6, Oxford & Blackpool could still make the top 6 to achieve a play-off spot. Interesting last games of the season is Portsmouth away to Lincoln, Derby home to Carlisle, Bolton away to Peterboro, Barnsley home to Northampton with Stevenage home to Cheltenham.                                                                                                                                                                                                  Stevenage probably have the easiest fixtures to play and Bolton look to have the hardest run in, but we all know it does'nt work that way.

Injuries will play a big part on how the teams will pan out come the end of April. Derby getting Waghorn, Washington and Forsyth back in the next few weeks could make a difference. I'm going to sit on the fence at this stage and hope this thread is still going when we get down to 6-8 games to go. Then we can make a better guess on what will happen.

Automatics - I don't mind which.

At the start of the season, I said that it was our third spell in the third tier, and in the two previous times, we had got promotion at the second attempt, and I saw no reason at all why this season should be any different to the others.

You can analyse points per game until you are blue in the scrotum for all I care. The fact that Posh and Notlob were on good runs means nothing - both have to pick themselves up after disappointing results today.

Derby, according to a few of you, are faltering, because we've only picked up 10 points in the last 5 games. Well, so have Portsmouth, so have Bolton, so have Peterborough and so have Barnsley. The 'form' team, if there is one, is Stevenage. 4 wins in 5. Or, at a stretch, Leyton Orient with 4 wins and a draw.

I think we'll be ok. That might be my boundless optimism, strange drugs or alcohol speaking, but it's a darned sight better than the inane, depressing drivel that is churned out on here when we win, let alone lose.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Automatics - I don't mind which.

At the start of the season, I said that it was our third spell in the third tier, and in the two previous times, we had got promotion at the second attempt, and I saw no reason at all why this season should be any different to the others.

You can analyse points per game until you are blue in the scrotum for all I care. The fact that Posh and Notlob were on good runs means nothing - both have to pick themselves up after disappointing results today.

Derby, according to a few of you, are faltering, because we've only picked up 10 points in the last 5 games. Well, so have Portsmouth, so have Bolton, so have Peterborough and so have Barnsley. The 'form' team, if there is one, is Stevenage. 4 wins in 5. Or, at a stretch, Leyton Orient with 4 wins and a draw.

I think we'll be ok. That might be my boundless optimism, strange drugs or alcohol speaking, but it's a darned sight better than the inane, depressing drivel that is churned out on here when we win, let alone lose.

Wish you'd get off the fence Eddie 😂

On 02/02/2024 at 14:07, Charliegeorge1962 said:

Dropping over half of our league points in January has all but ended our chance of automatic promotion.

The poor performances in the above games don't bow well for playoffs either. Yep we won against Cheltenham but let us be honest we were 2nd best at home to a team in the bottom 3.

Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

….highest we’ve been in the league all season?

1 minute ago, Comrade 86 said:

Wish you'd get off the fence Eddie 😂

Always the measured approach.

The people in this thread suggesting that we're not even going to make the playoffs are the dyed-in-the-wool Warne haters. Even a win, away from home, isn't good enough for them. No team in the division has won more games than Derby, no team has a better goal difference than Derby, each time we've faltered we've managed to pick it up again - yet here we are, certain to drop right out of the automatics, slide down the playoff positions and finish 7th or 8th, just because we failed to sign <insert player here> and that is totally Warne's fault, of course. 

As always.