The Pitch at Pride Park

I haven’t read the Matchday thread as I don’t want to get depressed, so I am not sure if any comment was made about the pitch. This looked in very poor condition - dry, bumpy, grass less in some areas - and I think contributed to our poor start to the game, as we couldn’t control the ball very well. I know we warmed up on it beforehand but that is without the pressure of an opponent breathing down your neck. 

I know the weather hasn’t been kind recently but we need a decent surface to play on during the last half of the season, so we can make our perceived “class” count against inferior teams. We need a surface where you can trust the roll and bounce. Surprisingly looked very dry in parts and noticeable the water was turned on at half time.

hopefully the groundsmen can work wonders and get it rolled flat. Really surprised as I thought  we had one of the best playing surfaces in the division.

1 minute ago, On the Ram Page said:

I haven’t read the Matchday thread as I don’t want to get depressed, so I am not sure if any comment was made about the pitch. This looked in very poor condition - dry, bumpy, grass less in some areas - and I think contributed to our poor start to the game, as we couldn’t control the ball very well. I know we warmed up on it beforehand but that is without the pressure of an opponent breathing down your neck. 

I know the weather hasn’t been kind recently but we need a decent surface to play on during the last half of the season, so we can make our perceived “class” count against inferior teams. We need a surface where you can trust the roll and bounce. Surprisingly looked very dry in parts and noticeable the water was turned on at half time.

hopefully the groundsmen can work wonders and get it rolled flat. Really surprised as I thought  we had one of the best playing surfaces in the division.

I mostly agree. It looked very poor. Not sure how much it affected the performance but a very poor pitch.

5 minutes ago, Terry Hennessy said:

Got to say that as poor as the pitch looked it didn't seem to affect Bradford. I can remember the days when we used to win awards for our playing surface at Pride Park...so not sure what's changed...

The wettest last few months on record and a league one budget.

7 minutes ago, Terry Hennessy said:

Got to say that as poor as the pitch looked it didn't seem to affect Bradford. I can remember the days when we used to win awards for our playing surface at Pride Park...so not sure what's changed...

Last season our ground staff won team of the season for the PP pitch.  Surely it can only be the extreme weather that has affected things?

Budget is probably the limiting factor.

The more money you have the mitigation you can do against darkness and weather.

Those giant lighting arrays they run over pitches in the winter to encourage the grass to grow probably run up some electric bill, fancy semi-symthetoc pitch turf etc etc.

Noticeable that Warne made a point of mentioning the pitch in his post match interview - didn't seem particularly impressed with it. He said something like "we have to go again on Monday on that pitch/surface" and I'm pretty sure he didn't just mean at home.

The pitch looks as bad as I’ve ever seen it at PPS.  They should be able to play on anything though.  Nevertheless, ain’t gong to help the run-in cos can’t see how it can get any better.  Perhaps that’s why Vickers was encouraged to bypass the midfield altogether last night and launch it every opportunity? 

3 minutes ago, LazloW said:

The pitch looks as bad as I’ve ever seen it at PPS.  They should be able to play on anything though.  Nevertheless, ain’t gong to help the run-in cos can’t see how it can get any better.  Perhaps that’s why Vickers was encouraged to bypass the midfield altogether last night and launch it every opportunity

Think that was more down to the mistakes he made when trying to play out from the back tbh.

I nearly snoozed off and when I blinked and then saw the pitch I thought we were playing at the BBG! It looked as bad as that. 😄

Edited by RoyMac5

Too busy playing Rugby type football on the pitch....

In all seriousness, it's the middle of the winter, we've had heavy rain for the last couple of months. With the budget we have, I'm not surprised the pitch isn't 100%. Until we see a full on mud bath in the 6 yard box and centre circle then the pitch is fine with me.

Edited by SSD

3 minutes ago, SSD said:

Too busy playing Rugby type football on the pitch....

In all seriousness, it's the middle of the winter, we've had heavy rain for the last couple of months. With the budget we have, I'm not surprised the pitch isn't 100%. Until we see a full on mud bath in the 6 yard box and centre circle then the pitch is fine with me.

Bring it on. It served us well at the BBG 😀