The Pitch at Pride Park

On 10/01/2024 at 10:45, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

More than that as them down the road have a remarkably good pitch. Finances I guess!

Forest spent an absolute shed load in the last close season with a full deep renovation including new drainage throughout. Our pitch is now past its sell by date and probably needs a FULL renovation and likely has not been done since it's initial instalation however this is extremely expensive I would think other matters are a priority atm. 

For years I've always seen Pride Park as having (consistently) 1 of the best playing surfaces in the country. What has happened in recent times to make the pitch look like a Sunday league pitch? Has the weather done it? Has our gardener gone awol? I have zero idea about football pitch maintenance so just wondering if anyone on here knows why it's not up to its usual standards.

🐏

It was always immaculate right up until admin. It shows that you get what you pay for and when funds are tight, it’s an easy area to make cuts.

It’s still one of the best pitches in this division, but we’re a third tier side with a pretty average pitch. If we’re in the Championship next season then there will be extra money for all areas of the club, pitch included.

I think it's deliberate personally. Just from the way the sprinklers were used at half time until you could see small puddles on the surface.

For the record, I know nothing about groundskeeping, it's just how it seems to me.

Whatever the reason I don't really care and wouldn't if we had the worst pitch in the EFL.   Same for both sides, we aren't a keep it on the floor possession side so no point  in wasting money on maintaining the pitch beyond the minimum standard.  

7 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Whatever the reason I don't really care and wouldn't if we had the worst pitch in the EFL.   Same for both sides, we aren't a keep it on the floor possession side so no point  in wasting money on maintaining the pitch beyond the minimum standard.  

But the condition of the pitch is not something you can change overnight... or cheaply.
We're potentially only a few months from being an ambitious Championship side.  Best not let it deteriorate too much!   😉

16 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

But the condition of the pitch is not something you can change overnight... or cheaply.
We're potentially only a few months from being an ambitious Championship side.  Best not let it deteriorate too much!   😉

Why would it matter - in the Championship we are probably going to have less of the ball.   Now if Rosenior was manager it'd be different but with Warne whilst we may not just hoof it we aren't playing tika taka. 

I think it is normal / acceptable for the pitch not to be pristine at this time of year.

Typically, grass doesn’t grow as quickly over the winter months with the usual weather conditions, so with the massive amount of rain we’ve had recently it is probably to be expected that the pitch is looking like it is.

Prior to administration, I presume that the grounds people had a larger budget to utilise. I may be wrong on this though. Having a larger budget would allow more work to be done on maintenance with better equipment available to use. I’ve got a feeling that the glowing lights (non technical name) that help create ideal growing conditions for grass were sold by Quantuma to bring in money.

Once we get better weather I expect the pitch will start looking better again.