Derby V Burton match day thread

Boycie

7 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Don't agree with the comments that Burton deserved a point. They had two chances in the entire game (both of which were gifts from us)....

Agree with this. "Could have got a draw" and "Deserved a draw" are two very different things. Stats don't always tell the full story but Burton really offered absolutely nothing for 45 mins and the balance of chances and possession was pretty emphatic.
image.png.db69ce976998b24e40df44f464171a54.png

We certainly lost the plot for a bit but it wasn't a reflection of the match as a whole which should have been much more comfortable. I'm not bigging up the performance as a whole because it was very flawed but we did more than enough to have had a comfortable night. The main lesson was that we have to be better at managing the game and not invite teams back into a game.

28 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

31 points out of the last 36 available, that’s not too shabby is it? 

Last night isn’t the first time on this run that one or two of Warne’s limitations have been a concern, and inevitably there’s then the expression of frustrations (some understandable, some over the top in my opinion) in the match thread. But it’s also not the first time in this run that I’ve preached patience in the match thread during those moments, as this squad has shown a couple of Warne’s strengths too. They are seemingly fitter this season and can keep going physically, and there does appear to be a togetherness and determination in the group that keeps them going mentally, add in that little bit of extra quality compared to other teams and I rarely feel like we don’t have a chance in games….they just put us through the wringer a bit first 🤣 

What do you think are Warne’s limitations and strengths then?

4 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Anyone know what the chants of "pedo" and "she said no" from Burton fans were? Seemed to be aimed at Cashin. My brother pointed out that they did this last year too. Obviously nothing in the official public domain, just some local rumour? 

Sorry to introduce such an unpleasant topic but it is really bugging us.

I heard that throughout the game . Let’s be honest , some of our fans constantly did it to Billy Sharpe without any real evidence.

29 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

How disappointed did Eric Steele sound(on commentary) when we scored our third 😠

I can imagine, listening on the way back he was talking a load of tosh about JJ who I thought had a decent game especially first half and needs the ball passed to his feet. He’s a bit of a miserable bugger!

30 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

I thought last nights performance was kind of indicative of Paul Warne. Tactically and game management wise there are things that he gets away with in league 1 that I think should/hope/if/pray we get promoted this year he would not get away with in the championship.

Very broadbrush, please explain first sentence and what he gets away with.

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m really not keen on these “never wear the Derby shirt again” type comments. I’d be nervous the next time he’s picked at right back but it wouldn’t be the first time a player has had a shaky start to his career at Derby (or any club come to think of it) but then gone on to perform well. He was good going forward but there were some serious flaws in his defensive performance last night that need to be eliminated (or at least reduced significantly -no player is perfect) pretty damn quickly.

His quick removal from the pitch by Warne will have given him some sort of message.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Hourihane may have scored the winning goal but, in my opinion, Bird contributed a lot more in terms winning the ball particularly in the first half. Hourihane did OK but it takes more than scoring a goal to win a game. That’s what often annoys me about “man of the match” awards. It often goes to a goal scorer (a la last night - there is no way Barks was the best player last night) as if any other contributions count for nothing.

I get what you are saying and I agree with it. But did Bird really win the ball much really? What is it with Bird why does he get so much protection that’s often leads to people making false stats up to protect his abjectivity? 
Over 20 years I’ve never seen anything like it with regards to over ratedness 

1 hour ago, McMuffin said:

If that was his best game for a while he will never be anything more than a league 1 footballer. What did he do. Houihane won us the game what did Bird do? Hourihane is past it but still won the game for us. Bird should be doing more than a player who is past it.

If you can’t see what Bird does then it’s probably best to stop watching the matches and just look for the results to see who scored and assists. 

13 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I heard that throughout the game . Let’s be honest , some of our fans constantly did it to Billy Sharpe without any real evidence.

Fair enough. Odd player for them to pick on though. Don't get the hate towards him otherwise, not your usual pantomime villain. Curious.

19 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m really not keen on these “never wear the Derby shirt again” type comments. I’d be nervous the next time he’s picked at right back but it wouldn’t be the first time a player has had a shaky start to his career at Derby (or any club come to think of it) but then gone on to perform well. He was good going forward but there were some serious flaws in his defensive performance last night that need to be eliminated (or at least reduced significantly -no player is perfect) pretty damn quickly.

Assume you mean left back but get the point.

A lot of people assume fill back isn’t an important position. On the contrary, full backs are likely to be marking the opposition’s best players.

They are expected to tackle and head everything that comes their way, cover the CBs and bomb up and down the flanks.

Forsyth’s ‘bombing’ days are over but he’s still the best all-round LB we have, followed by Sibley. 
It wouldn’t disappoint me if Elder found a new club.

He’s in the not too successful pile as far as recent signings are concerned.

He’s okay, no better than that, and if we are ambitious, I think he won’t fit in our plans.

Just the opinion of a former LB who studies the role more than most at games 😊

9 hours ago, Andicis said:

The midfield balance is not right. Teams find it too easy to run through the heart of our team, I think it's something that we need to address as it was a big issue vs Peterborough and again today. 

Teams have been running through our midfield all season . We will get away with it this season , but not in the Championship. Be interesting to see if there is any interest in Bird this window ? His tackling is non-existent and constantly passes backwards .

7 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Teams have been running through our midfield all season . We will get away with it this season , but not in the Championship. Be interesting to see if there is any interest in Bird this window ? His tackling is non-existent and constantly passes backwards .

Per whoscored, Bird played 27 passes forward last night, 16 backwards...

10 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Assume you mean left back but get the point.

A lot of people assume fill back isn’t an important position. On the contrary, full backs are likely to be marking the opposition’s best players.

They are expected to tackle and head everything that comes their way, cover the CBs and bomb up and down the flanks.

Forsyth’s ‘bombing’ days are over but he’s still the best all-round LB we have, followed by Sibley. 
It wouldn’t disappoint me if Elder found a new club.

He’s in the not too successful pile as far as recent signings are concerned.

He’s okay, no better than that, and if we are ambitious, I think he won’t fit in our plans.

Just the opinion of a former LB who studies the role more than most at games 😊

Assuming you meant “full” back 😀. Sorry, just me being silly. Yes I did mean left back. I never did know my left from my right 😀

39 minutes ago, DRBee said:

His quick removal from the pitch by Warne will have given him some sort of message.

True but I doubt it’s not (and hope it isn’t) “you’ll never play for Derby again”.

Edited by Tamworthram

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

True but I doubt it’s (and hope it isn’t) “you’ll never play for Derby again”.

I doubt it, Ward played again after he was binned at half time a few weeks back after 2 penalties given away for dumb challenges in a little over 45mins of game time.

39 minutes ago, Sufferingfool said:

I can imagine, listening on the way back he was talking a load of tosh about JJ who I thought had a decent game especially first half and needs the ball passed to his feet. He’s a bit of a miserable bugger!

Steele usually talks a load of tosh IMO. I’ve started mentally turning off when he talks.

Right up until their first we looked in control. Burton offered nothing, with two well-worked goals from us. Collins looks better with another striker occupying another of the central defenders, and while John-Jules didn't have anything more than a solid performance, he certainly didn't do too much wrong. I thought Steele was overly critical of him post-match, he's not found any form yet due to his injuries and how carefully they are managing him, but I've seen enough to be glad he's extended to the end of the season (though it's not been formally announced yet).

Then we did not react at all to their changes, and give away two silly goals. Three players marking one man while Seddon marches on and scores, and a really poor moment from Elder to let Hugill clean through. I sympathise with Elder though, he's clearly lacking match fitness, and it showed last night. Thought the midfield was mostly absent again, but I suspect this is down to the way we're playing - we're bypassing them by going wide at any opportunity.