Mendez-Laing - new contract to 2026

Wonder if we’ll see a few more of these confirmed in the next week or two, could it be enough to convince others to commit 🤔 I suppose they have to take their own careers into consideration, but it’s a nice bit of news keeping one of our main attacking threats beyond the summer

Good news.

The fact it’s til 2026 falls nicely in line with the song about him, gives him enough time at least…

First he went to Cardiff and took them to the Prem. Now he’s come to Derby to do the same again…

I’ll settle for the Championship but you get the idea.

2 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think 2 years is a year too long to be honest. Sorry to be a bubble burster 

Seems about right to me. Reward for his recent form and had we offered him a shorter deal then he would surely have been poached by another club.

Not sure we can afford to lose anyone at such a crucial stage of the season with everything to play for. 

6 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

If the offer had only been for one year it's most unlikely he would have re-signed - I'm sure there would have been a few clubs prepared to do a 2 year deal, maybe even Championship ones.

6 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

By the end of the 2026 season, he’ll be 34. I think being a mid-table(ish) Championship side should be a realistic target for then, given our current position.

I’d imagine his weekly wage on a 2 year contract will be less than if we only extended to 2025, but gives him that guaranteed income for an extra year. Even if he’s just a squad player by the end of his contract, I think it’s a smart move for all involved.

Great news! My favourite player to watch, and one of the most important attackers we have. He'd still do a job in the Championship.

Now for Bird, Wildsmith, Thompson, and Sibley, please...but wait until the end of the season on Forsyth, Barks, and Collins.