Mendez-Laing - new contract to 2026

45 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Two things

1. I'm not sure he will maintain his pace and fitness for 2 more years on top of this season

2. If we go up this season thats 2 years in the Championship. I'm not sure he would be a regular starter

I accept though that maybe we couldn't get him to sign a 1 year extension because there were Championship clubs prepared to offer that or rather if that was all that was on the table he would take his chances in the summer I don't know. I'm not that bothered about it though, if the club think its the right thing to do then fair enough 

What is it that makes you think his fitness and pace will evaporate in such a short space of time and is there any evidence to date to support your assumption? With some players I'd likely agree with your opinion, but not so much with Nate. The lad's a specimen and he clearly looks after himself. If we were offering a 33 year old NML multiple year contracts, perhaps I'd be worried, but I've no concerns on him last another 24 months  or so in the game. He's happy at the club, in the best form of his playing career, fit as a flea and clearly not wanting to leave; two years will do us (and him) just fine, I reckon.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Two and a half years is a while.  I suspect it may have been on offer elsewhere and we would probably have gone for 18 months  under our new, more cautious, regime as a rule at his age.  

Possibly... all I know is he is our most potent attacking threat, looks fitter than last year ...and there would have been a huge outcry if he'd been 'let go'.

Great news. Shows some planning and that we arent going to wait til the summer and end up in the cart. 

19 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think 2 years is a year too long to be honest. Sorry to be a bubble burster 

He will be 34 by the end of this new contract . You could ask if he will be effective in the Championship at that age ?At least he has the security of knowing his wages are secure for the next 2 and a half years.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

He will be 34 by the end of this new contract . You could ask if he will be effective in the Championship at that age ?At least he has the security of knowing his wages are secure for the next 2 and a half years.

He'll be 33 for all but 1 month of the 2025/26 season.

I don't know how it can been seen that 2 more years is too long for NML.

To only offer him another 12 months could be interpreted as disrespectful considering how he's performed this season (and most of last season).

If I was him and Derby had only offered another 12 months I'd have turned it down flat and accepted the biggest wage offer on a 12 month deal from a Champrionship club instead.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

His birthday is the 15th of April so it’s only the last few games he’ll playing as a 34 year old.