Mendez-Laing - new contract to 2026

44 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think 2 years is a year too long to be honest. Sorry to be a bubble burster 

I agree. 2025 would have been fine particularly as we want to be a league higher next season. Not sure how much he is likely to feature 2025-2026. Just like when you go to the opticians for new glasses. We'll see. 

An interesting move by us and NML. It looks sensible for both parties.

We don’t want to lose NML in the same way we lost McGoldrick. If NML attracts serious interest, we are protected by the contract length and will receive a fee. 

If NML is happy and settled at the club, we have a player who has served us well thus far and can still be an important asset moving forward irrespective of future developments e.g Warne being poached by Real Madrid.

It is a win win situation.  Keep him for 2 years, not a bad prospect.  Keep him for one and a potential sell on fee (if he is still playing well). If someone comes in for him now, the fee should be a lot higher given form and contract length. Might just be the push for others to sign as well. Can't really see a negative. 

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think 2 years is a year too long to be honest. Sorry to be a bubble burster 

Suspect it's based on 2 things:

1) Reduced weekly rate vs 1 year deal

2) Sports science team will have a proper view on his biological age, etc so they know

Great news, our most important attacking player at the mo, and this year he is playing 90 minutes of football, which he struggled with last season, well done to Warne and the coaching team for getting him fitter, because NML and Derby have benefited this season, long may it continue. 

Well done NML, he can make some weird decisions but overall a great player for our level. Love how he works hard for the team and hopefully we can get someone in to share his job so he can rest a game when he needs to. Good news!

10 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Based on what?

Two things

1. I'm not sure he will maintain his pace and fitness for 2 more years on top of this season

2. If we go up this season thats 2 years in the Championship. I'm not sure he would be a regular starter

I accept though that maybe we couldn't get him to sign a 1 year extension because there were Championship clubs prepared to offer that or rather if that was all that was on the table he would take his chances in the summer I don't know. I'm not that bothered about it though, if the club think its the right thing to do then fair enough 

22 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

2. If we go up this season thats 2 years in the Championship. I'm not sure he would be a regular starte

Not every player in a squad can be a regular starter of course. Think he’ll have enough in the tank to be an impact sub at the very least. He’ll spend most of the 2025/26 season aged 33; hardly over the hill