Bradford City at home Match Thread

sage

Just now, Barney1991 said:

Commentary wasn’t bad to be fair. Clean shaven and presentable and knew the facts. 

What about in the first half where Vickers bounced the ball off his head? That was amusing. 😄

Not sure how the majority of fans can say anything about tonight. If we had sold 25,000 there’s no way Bradford would’ve won. 

Like I said pre match, it was an inconvenience we could do without. The real losers are the likes of Sibley, Elder, Fornah etc who looked off it when the responsibility was on their shoulders.

9 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Wasn't there talk at the time that our recruitment priortised out of contract players, because by avoiding fees we could afford higher wages and thus attract better players?

The OP used the term "bargain basement". There is no evidence they're cheap in the absolute sense as we don't know the wage commitments.

Getting lost in the syntax here. I don't think G Star was implying the players were the cheapest available, so perhaps not the best choice of words, but he's correct in saying we effectively had a choice of paying fees for players who command manageable salaries, or trying to source better unattached players and meeting their salary demands through not having fees to pay. What we couldn't do is both, ie. pay fees for better players AND afford their salaries.  

Made that clear as muck, haven't I! 😂

8 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Just got home. That was fun. Absolutely freezing, terrible game and had my ears bombarded all night by a large number of young people who both a: seemed extraordinarily giddy about being outside and watching a football match b: seemed to know absolutely nothing about the game they were watching and c - seemed only able to shout incoherent drivel where one out of every three words was an obscenity (not that I’m prudish about swearing, you understand… I couldn’t give a f… it was the inane nature of it that was far more troubling. Just shouting for shouting’s sake - and not in a ‘there to support the team’ sort of way, just shouting. One young person seemed to be trying to impress his girlfriend but only succeeded in making himself look silly; sadly I doubt he had the personal insight to recognise this).

I might not have noticed this too much if the football had been in any way engaging but it wasn’t and so I can only reflect on the state of our young people and consider whether I was similarly stupid when I was their age.  I can only surmise that I probably was and that makes me sad.  It also makes me realise that I’m probably closer to death than I am to their age. Which also makes me sad. 

So, yeah, thanks Paul and Co. I’ve probably got pneumonia, have become a grumpy old man shaking my fists at the youth of today and am pondering my own mortality… all because you couldn’t string two passes together against Bradford f’ing City. 

An absolutely belting match report, Lazlow. Many thanks. One day I may come up with a report of my own to that high standard, if I have that many years to live, that is!

Just now, Comrade 86 said:

Getting lost in the syntax here. I don't think G Star was implying the players were the cheapest available, so perhaps not the best choice of words, but he's correct in saying we effectively had a choice of paying fees for players who command manageable salaries, or trying to source better unattached players and meeting their salary demands through not having fees to pay. What we couldn't do is both, ie. pay fees for better players AND afford their salaries.  

Made that clear as muck, haven't I! 😂

I think we're all violently agreeing that there is no basis for making the comment the pw is forced to make "bargain basement" signings.

9 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Different times and era Kath and yes I was...I'm not far off your age☺️Players are a different bread to what they were under BC, They hold all the cards, They do as they choose, Their contract says they get paid X amount of loot for their efforts....whether good or bad.

PS...I've changed my user name...guess who 😁

Didnt see much effort there,wish i could have treated my job like that😁

may be because quite a few parted with coin to be entertained on rtv,and a fair few thousand rams fans will be at work tomorrow suffering abuse from gumps and other fans,so yes we should be bothered

4 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Not sure how the majority of fans can say anything about tonight. If we had sold 25,000 there’s no way Bradford would’ve won. 

Like I said pre match, it was an inconvenience we could do without. The real losers are the likes of Sibley, Elder, Fornah etc who looked off it when the responsibility was on their shoulders.

Are we blaming the fans that didn’t come ?Was the first half midfield worse than the 2nd half ? Because the 2nd half midfield lost the game . We don’t want a third home loss on the bounce v Burton next Monday.

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think we're all violently agreeing that there is no basis for making the comment the pw is forced to make "bargain basement" signings.

Well being under EFL restrictions would make it a reasonable assumption. 

There's usually a reason why a player is available on a free transfer, either young and looking to get a move up the ladder, or old and surplus to requirements. 

I think most of our signings fall into the latter category.

7 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I'm surprised so many on here are bothered considering only a few thousand turned up

may be because quite a few parted with coin to be entertained on rtv,and a fair few thousand rams fans will be at work tomorrow suffering abuse from gumps and other fans,so yes we should be bothered

As much as you can draw clear conclusions from one game, either the drop-off from the first choice starting XI is bigger than we thought or one consequence of picking a settled side is, when you get a game like this, there are too many players who aren't match sharp.

One thing that stood out for me was, for those who constantly snipe at Bird and Hourihane and want them dropped or sold, be careful what you wish for.

16 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Spot on, I think he does and will continue to a good job for us.

I'd say same about any striker, be it Kane, Halland or Collin's, there are going to be times when you need an alternative to them, either because of injury, not their day, tiredness etc...however it's becoming apparent, we don't have one. Although not sure when other two will be returning.

Yep I agree. Crappy luck to have lost both Wash and Waggy, both of whom would be very capable at this level. Warne clearly sought to mitigate that risk, but like a good few before him in recent times, best laid plans have been undone by injuries. I've not heard when that they're even back in training either! I think TJJ is a player, but he's played so little football in recent years. He's the one for the future, but I think he'll need 15 to 20 starts so I hope folk are patient with him.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well being under EFL restrictions would make it a reasonable assumption. 

There's usually a reason why a player is available on a free transfer, either young and looking to get a move up the ladder, or old and surplus to requirements. 

I think most of our signings fall into the latter category.

Or run his contract down because he thinks dcfc is a positive career step?