Can we finally admit get it wide/cross it in works in League One?

RamLad1884

49 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

wards quality of delivery compared to wilson is like night and day. wilson is great at taking players on, but his lack of quality last night really showed. we pretty much had ball in their half all second half, how many goodballs, or clear chances for a shot on goal were created. not much is the answer.

Wilson is good at playing people through on the floor though. It's good they're so different, gives us options.

It works when we get players into the box. Earlier part of the season it was cross cross with no one there. Last night showed when we have runners it works and the evidence showed with Thompson busting a gut in there. What’s the point in crossing if we have Collins vs 3 6 foot 4 centre backs and our midfielders are no where near or opposite wide player. 

it’s working because we have options to cross too 

5 hours ago, sage said:

Correct. Someone like Poom would have collected the crosses for our second and third goals 

No keeper in the world is collecting the 3rd goal. That ball was inch perfect. Dangerous height right to the edge of the 6 yard box. Keeper hesitant to not make it and take a player out and defenders facing the wrong way to put it in there own net. One of the best balls into the box I’ve seen in a long time 

48 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

No keeper in the world is collecting the 3rd goal. That ball was inch perfect. Dangerous height right to the edge of the 6 yard box. Keeper hesitant to not make it and take a player out and defenders facing the wrong way to put it in there own net. One of the best balls into the box I’ve seen in a long time 

I've looked at the highlights now and I agree. Though Cashin sidefoots it 6 yards out, it passes others on the way.

As a general point keepers don't seem as good on crosses as they used to, but the balls are different now, and I imagine that makes things more difficult 

8 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

How we are playing is very similar to how Burnley have had success in recent years. Direct football that gets results. The problem with the whole of football is that there is a snobbery to certain teams playing style. Teams like Luton, Burnley, and Sheff Utd have managed to get to the prem by perfecting quick direct play. It seems that we are in the same mould under Warne. 

Here's a comparison of directness in graph form:

Screenshot_20231230_193720_Chrome.thumb.jpg.70fea53f71af2393d55463f64886b60d.jpg

I've been watching it change as the season progresses, and we've gone from the most direct team in the league playing few passes per sequence, to one which is slightly less direct and passing it more. In an ideal world, you'd be in the top right of the graph, but the best sides are typically found in the lower right section. Due to averaging, we'll actually be more like Portsmouth at this exact moment in time.

I've also marked up where the most direct side in the Championship (red) and Premier League (oramge) is positioned.

Average directness doesn't change much throughout the divisions, but number of passes does. From 2.9 in L1, to 3.4 in the Championshop and 3.6 in the PL.

22 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not exactly taking the Prem by storm. Not to do with snobbery, perhaps to do with effectiveness?

I think Burnley's problem is they aren't playing that way since Kompany took over, but trying to play controlled football through the middle (as the top 2 or 3 teams do) but with inferior quality players, too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Prem.

The Burnley reference that @deanoakaram4lifemade  I think was when Dyche managed them......

16 hours ago, Returning ram said:

Why ?

The top right of the graph would indicate a team getting the ball forward quickly with a lot of accurate passes. This would indicate a high degree of skill, thought and accuracy, usually shown by the likes of Man City.

10 minutes ago, ram59 said:

The top right of the graph would indicate a team getting the ball forward quickly with a lot of accurate passes. This would indicate a high degree of skill, thought and accuracy, usually shown by the likes of Man City.

Man City are in the bottom right, but of the chart to the right. Top right would be more like Liverpool, which Warne has referred to in the past as a style he prefers and I think it would be a style we look to emulate as we progress up the leagues.

On 30/12/2023 at 19:48, Ghost of Clough said:

Here's a comparison of directness in graph form:

Screenshot_20231230_193720_Chrome.thumb.jpg.70fea53f71af2393d55463f64886b60d.jpg

I've been watching it change as the season progresses, and we've gone from the most direct team in the league playing few passes per sequence, to one which is slightly less direct and passing it more. In an ideal world, you'd be in the top right of the graph, but the best sides are typically found in the lower right section. Due to averaging, we'll actually be more like Portsmouth at this exact moment in time.

I've also marked up where the most direct side in the Championship (red) and Premier League (oramge) is positioned.

Average directness doesn't change much throughout the divisions, but number of passes does. From 2.9 in L1, to 3.4 in the Championshop and 3.6 in the PL.

I wonder how different it would look if you took out Cashin’s cross field long balls to the RW.  

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The team woth the most crosses in the league?

Ok fair enough but Posh get in crossing positions by playing fast flowing, passing football not just aimlessly pumping it down the channels hoping that a wing back will get to it first.

BTW where's Bolton in that list?

Edited by IslandExile
Bolton

26 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Ok fair enough but Posh get in crossing positions by playing fast flowing, passing football not just aimlessly pumping it down the channels hoping that a wing back will get to it first.

BTW where's Bolton in that list?

Bolton are 18th with 17 per game and Oxford are 22nd with 15