Can we finally admit get it wide/cross it in works in League One?

RamLad1884

On 01/01/2024 at 17:12, IslandExile said:

Ok fair enough but Posh get in crossing positions by playing fast flowing, passing football not just aimlessly pumping it down the channels hoping that a wing back will get to it first.

BTW where's Bolton in that list?

I mean... this just doesn't happen, does it?

On 01/01/2024 at 17:06, Ghost of Clough said:

The team with the most crosses in the league?

Screenshot_20240101_170525_Chrome.thumb.jpg.49e99227c7f5d59dbc18c573ed99db51.jpg

That's interesting. Wonder what it looks like adjusted for average time in possession though? Eg Stevenage see a lot less of the ball in a game - I imagine they put in more crosses per minutes in possession than Peterborough. 

One possible reason the better teams tend to put in more crosses is just that they see more of the ball. 

(Edit: although I notice Luton and Everton have the most crosses in the PL this season.)

Edited by vonwright

1 hour ago, vonwright said:

That's interesting. Wonder what it looks like adjusted for average time in possession though? Eg Stevenage see a lot less of the ball in a game - I imagine they put in more crosses per minutes in possession than Peterborough. 

One possible reason the better teams tend to put in more crosses is just that they see more of the ball. 

(Edit: although I notice Luton and Everton have the most crosses in the PL this season.)

With the current top 6 crosses only:

image.png.b0cfa95aec9d16fc5ab5d1265fd17f94.png

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Nice one - second column (ie passes per cross) very useful in this context I think, maybe more so than the third. Thanks!

But yeah this feels intuitively right. Stevenage and us do seem quite 'crossy' in our approach.

Edited by vonwright

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't think the stats are visible without paying for statsbomb or something like that, but I'd love to see the types of crosses these teams are putting in. I imagine Stevenage, Derby and Pompey are mixed crosses, probably mostly at head height, whereas a LOT of Peterborough's crosses are along the floor/cutbacks.