Derby vs Port Vale

B4’s Sister

13 minutes ago, admira said:

Lots of positives right now, it's baffling why there is still negativity from some people.

7 goals conceded in last 10 games (best in division)

4 wins on the bounce (best in the division)

16 goals scored away (= best in the division)

6 goals conceded at home (best in the division)

16 goals conceded (best in the division)

+15 goal difference (3rd best in the division)

14 points at home (2nd best in the division)

3.1 Av shots on targets by opposition (lowest in the division)

6.9 Av attempts on goal by opposition (lowest in the division)

etc etc 

I think the negativity is based around the quality and style of football they are seeing. Not been great. But they say beating teams when not playing well is the sign of a good side 😊

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Possibly because they’ve taken a dislike to certain players and/or management (even hate with a passion in one case) and no matter what, to perpetuate that level of dislike, they have to go searching for any fact/statistic which might help to validate their point of view?

I still felt negative at half time although I think it was a better first half than against Bristol Rovers. The second half was pretty good though and there are some green shoots for the future in Wilson and Fornah. Obviously Cashin and Bird are good players and played well but I don't count them in the equation for the future because I just don't see them being here. Nelson has been a good signing and at 30 years old is one we can count on for the immediate future, including the Championship. When we can get Ward fit he will be a good player for us I'm sure and both he and Wildsmith are people we can build around as well, including for a championship team. We have debated Sibley to death but can anyone really see him making it here? I think he will move on and needs to for the sake of his career.  We have Rooney to come back and he is another one we can build with. But then we get to the people I listed in my post on the other thread. Collins, Washington, Waghorn, Smith, Hourihane, Bradley, Forsyth, Barkhuizen and NML. we are trying to squeeze the last drops out of that lot but its total short termism. We may get promoted with them but either way all of them need replacing. Thats why I struggle to summon up much enthusiasm but I'm a bit happier after last night and I'll be much happier if I see some positive churn of players in the transfer window. I appreciate that the main changes will have to come in the summer when contracts for all these players expire      

52 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Would he have done that if over £50m wasn't wasted on players we either didn't get any money for or made a big loss on? Without wasting that money, we wouldn't have been under P&S pressure or any embargoes. We would have been a better prospect to buy, even if we didn't achieve promotion.

Johnson, Butterfield, Shackell, Blackman, Camara, Olsson, Anya, Nugent, Lawrence, Wisdom, Huddlestone, Waghorn, Marriott, Jozefzoon, Malone, Bielik, Jozwiak

That's a question only MM can answer.

The FFP charges may have been the straw that broke the camels back or an excuse to get out of the financial mess he had got us in, I assume, once again, that is something we will never know.

1 hour ago, admira said:

Lots of positives right now, it's baffling why there is still negativity from some people.

etc etc 

Very good and interesting stats.

Has anyone got any stats on Club Football Forums - in particular the % number of negative posters on each site. I’d have a bet we were in the top quartile! Come on you positive posters, don’t let the negative ones spoil your enjoyment.

1 hour ago, May Contain Nuts said:

That's nothing more than we should expect with the squad we have.

Is there a directive out there that everyone has to be c***-a-hoop because we're just about hitting par in an abysmal division full of utterly s*** teams?

Getting Derby promoted this season, with the way the league it is, barely even registers as an achievement. The real work starts when we're back in the Championship.

Excellently chosen name.

1 hour ago, admira said:

etc etc 

And despite all of those excellent stats, we're not playing anywhere close to the standard we should be with the players we have. It's ever so frustrating, we're in a very good position overall like you say. It's the "if only", if we play that bit better as we've shown in glimpses this season or back into last season we'd be steamrolling the league. But heyho, Derby never do anything the easy way!

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I was at Port Vale last night and the last word I'd use to describe it is boring! 

There was a great atmosphere among the Derby fans from kick off. We were brought together by the shared endurance of traffic jams, crap facilities (again), lack of organisation and over-officious stewarding pre-match.

I thought we played well and always felt confident of the win. Yes, they had some possession in midfield with neat and tidy play that contributed to a good game but they created very little,  whereas we looked dangerous every time we attacked - direct and strong. Their goalkeeper was clearly man of the match (didn't he have a stormer against us at our place last season, too?) Another night, one of those early chances goes in and the scoreline would have looked more comfortable. As it was, I felt sure we would score eventually as they tired. 

Wilson is rapidly becoming one of my favourite footballers. You can tell he's revelling in being fit and playing in front of the biggest set of fans of his career. But everyone played their part; I don't get the hate for Collins as he worked his socks off again and could have had two on another night.

What a dollop that Ikpeazu is! Referee should have booked him early for his wrestling/diving, would have cut it out. Instead it just gave Cashin an opportunity to make him look clumsy, which he did with aplomb. 

Hourihane needs to let someone else onto set pieces occasionally as the lack of delivery is noticeable.  He worked hard across the rest of the pitch though against their busy midfield and closed down well.

What a classy goal to decide the game. Barkhuizen's harrying won the ball back, a peach of a low cross from Mendez-Laing and JJ finished with aplomb. Anyone else would have took a touch and the defender  cleared it. But that young man has quality and he showed it just when needed. In his celebration right in front of us he looked quite emotional,  another player hoping to put his injury demons behind him. I hope he does, because if he can keep fit he could help fire us to promotion this season.

Come on you Rams! ️ 

I drove back on the A52 via Ashbourne and Belper, no traffic at all, with the added bonus that you don’t have to drive through Stoke .😉

I have a degree of sympathy for Collins, with his 2 chances from distance he's tried to place it in the corner but the keeper has had time to react and make decent saves. I'd have preferred him  to chip the keeper on the first one. Now compare with our 2 winning goals in the last 2 games, where both shots have been hit straight at the keeper and have seemed to go straight through him and into the net.

There can be a lot of good fortune in goalscoring, many times when you look back, especially with the aid of slow motion replays, you think 'how the hell has that shot squeezed through the defenders/goalkeeper'?

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Possibly because they’ve taken a dislike to certain players and/or management (even hate with a passion in one case) and no matter what, to perpetuate that level of dislike, they have to go searching for any fact/statistic which might help to validate their point of view?

Every fan forum has positive and negative posters like every fan base does. Newcastle a few weeks ago there fans were arguing with trippier and they nearly got relegated from the prem 2 years ago to being in the champions league. We are a massive club in the third tier and we are at games to be entertained. 

every fan base has fans who like and don’t like certain players albeit what they bring to the team and how they are game by game. Some will like Collins for his work rate some don’t. I went outside at half time at game last night and nearly every conversation I heard was about Collins. 

from my opinion I don’t think he offers enough for a team chasing top 2. I wouldn’t have even known he was playing mostly first half I don’t particularly think his movement is brilliant and his in game brain doesn’t keep up. He drifts wide when he should be in the box to leave no one challenging when we are putting in crosses or he’s the wrong side. I don’t mind him coming on as a sub with 10 minutes to go to help out with set pieces but he shouldn’t be starting games but hey ho it’s not like we are flourished with attacking options. 

one player who really excites me is Kane Wilson when we give him the ball just need to see it a bit more often and someone who can carry the ball from midfield. 

I thought hourihanes set pieces and overall play last night was atrocious and for me a real hindrance but more than likely to pop up with a 90th minute top corner goal knowing him. 

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I stopped reading here.

We are not in League One because of recruitment. 

Yes we are. We are in League One because of recruitment. It is the most important aspect in football.

We got hit with points deductions and Mel put us in admin because of poor recruitment.

If you can’t see that, then you have your head buried in the ground.