Rooney freedom of Derby

BaianoPOTY98

Does anyone on this forum seriously think that Rooney should have been awarded the freedom of Derby title?

Well personally I’m a big fat no, although I thought he conducted himself very well during our administration period, as a manager I wouldn’t want him back, but what really constitutes to gaining freedom of Derby?

1 hour ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Does anyone on this forum seriously think that Rooney should have been awarded the freedom of Derby title?

Well personally I’m a big fat no, although I thought he conducted himself very well during our administration period, as a manager I wouldn’t want him back, but what really constitutes to gaining freedom of Derby?

As far as I know he’s not got the keys to my house, so I’m not sure what it means. 

At the time it was initially announced I don't think anybody would have disputed giving it to him.

However as time has passed and with the the benefit of hindsight it appears it was emotionally charged idea. 

Had he he still been at the club I would personally have  advocated awarding it to him. It doesn't seem right now he no longer has any long term connection with the club.

Having said that I'm still personally thankful and have the utmost respect to him for the way he conducted himself at the time. He was immense in the way he held the club together. 

I think he should get it for that marvellous performance against Blackburn where he looked like a giant blueberry  about to burst and cost us 2 goals in the first 30 minutes.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a player in such appalling shape run out for a game of football . It was disgraceful.

The City Council brought this to an end when they lost contact with Rooney when he moved back to the USA. What relevance does it have for us now? Do you not think we have much bigger issues to address here and now in Derby? Rooney is history for us. Most of us are very much focused on our current head coach for one reason or another. Leave the Birmingham fans to fret about Rooney for as long as he remains there and let us concentrate on Derby County matters.

If it wasn't for the fact this was quelled in the past day or so, it'd be rendered irrelevant.

I'm all for romance, and It was a nice emotionally charged idea at the time, but given the timescale involved to reach this decision, the right decision was made.

Rooney himself reputedly... and fairly... responded thus:
 "The Freedom of Derby? Was I meant to get the Freedom of Derby?” said Rooney. 
“I had a great time at Derby under difficult circumstances. I never expected to get the freedom of the place. I respect the football club, I respect the fans, but there are a lot more people who deserve the Freedom of Derby more than I do.”

Too true, Wayne.
Cheers, 'n all that.  👍

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

If it wasn't for the fact this was quelled in the past day or so, it'd be rendered irrelevant.

I'm all for romance, and It was a nice emotionally charged idea at the time, but given the timescale involved to reach this decision, the right decision was made.

Rooney himself reputedly... and fairly... responded thus:
 "The Freedom of Derby? Was I meant to get the Freedom of Derby?” said Rooney. 
“I had a great time at Derby under difficult circumstances. I never expected to get the freedom of the place. I respect the football club, I respect the fans, but there are a lot more people who deserve the Freedom of Derby more than I do.”

Too true, Wayne.
Cheers, 'n all that.  👍

But does he know that without it he can't legally lead his flock of sheep through the streets of Derby?

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/11/2023 at 20:51, BaianoPOTY98 said:

There was a big misunderstanding here. I spoke to a voting councillor after last night’s game. They thought they were awarding him the freedom of Derbion