Bristol Rovers - 25 November

B4’s Sister

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He played the ball out of defence that led to the opening goal….I think. Did other bits too, I thought he played his part as did the rest

He was also the player who forced Bristol backwards immediately before Fornah won it back for our winner. He was our 4th best player according to Whoscored with 7.03, behind Cashin, Mendez-Laing, and Fornah. It surprised me he rating was so high, but looking at the stats... he had the joint most shots on target, joint most key passes, most tackles, most interceptions, 3rd best pass accuracy, and the most fouled player.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Hourihane spends most of his time in the back four where can collect it, play a five yard pass and have an easy life. Bird has quality but never wants the ball and Smith spends his time upfront with his back to goal and just gets outmuscled. His pain threshold is zero. 
The three off them are never close together so we just play it to the wings and hope, which is an odd plan with the forwards we have.

We looked more dynamic with Fornah on and Wilson improved us too.

Do you think Hourihane does what you describe because he just fancies doing that or because its where the manager instructs him to play? He has much more to offer in a more forward position.

Well done Fornah. Well done NML. Johnnie Cash and Willie Nelson are a great partnership. 
good to see Waggy get some minutes. good to see TJJ in the squad. 
would thommo bird and fornah work? Wilson makes an impact on every game. A positive one at that. Barks doesn’t. 
Feel sorry for Washington he’s been a good option. Hope he’s back soon.
Still feel that if we had 4 strikers available he’d still bring Bradley on!! 

Martin showed some nice touches ❤️

32 minutes ago, norwichram said:

Well done Fornah. Well done NML. Johnnie Cash and Willie Nelson are a great partnership. 
good to see Waggy get some minutes. good to see TJJ in the squad. 
would thommo bird and fornah work? Wilson makes an impact on every game. A positive one at that. Barks doesn’t. 
Feel sorry for Washington he’s been a good option. Hope he’s back soon.
Still feel that if we had 4 strikers available he’d still bring Bradley on!! 

Martin showed some nice touches ❤️

I think you started well but much as I wanted Chrissy to get a deserved warm welcome; I thought he did pretty much nothing apart from the goal ( yes, daft comment perhaps,  it is something he was always good at, he clearly still has the instincts )  but really he looked slow and the wrestling efforts on Nelson and Cash were last chance saloon stuff. Their No10 was slippery and mobile but they didn’t link as well as you might have thought with a different Martin. Collins didn’t score, but all round was much more influential and involved to my mind. And yes a Martin in his prime would have been a better player than Collins .. not arguing that, but today ? I didn’t see anything to re kindle the flames. 

4 minutes ago, jono said:

I think you started well but much as I wanted Chrissy to get a deserved warm welcome; I thought he did pretty much nothing apart from the goal ( yes, daft comment perhaps,  it is something he was always good at, he clearly still has the instincts )  but really he looked slow and the wrestling efforts on Nelson and Cash were last chance saloon stuff. Their No10 was slippery and mobile but they didn’t link as well as you might have thought with a different Martin. Collins didn’t score, but all round was much more influential and involved to my mind. And yes a Martin in his prime would have been a better player than Collins .. not arguing that, but today ? I didn’t see anything to re kindle the flames. 

Yeah, but if we had signed him, and we bought him off the bench for the last 10 minutes, you'd have goosebumps. Admit it. It's ok.

Bland first half, honours even. We were the better side (just) but it looked very rough and ready. Better second half, some real grit shown and heads didn’t drop. NML on great form. My pick though was Nelson (and Cash) Solid as rocks and even marched out from the back occasionally to break lines. Bold, tough measured performances from both. 

Cardless ref .. odd bod he was. Didn’t do a bad job on reflection but their goalie got away with time wasting, No46 blatant dive, Chrissy Martin treading on thin ice with his new wrestling career coming soon. We were blameless Corinthian saints as always 🤪

Not enough players on Birds wavelength .. he sees and does stuff that others don’t, but the runners aren’t awake enough when he plays the ball.

NML continues to imperiously burn rubber, Sibs works hard but just doesn’t seem to have the muscle to compete at the critical moment when he’s done the difficult bit. Barks seemed off it, Collo, usual bruisers effort and for him some nice touches, Smithy is intelligent but got bullied a bit. Subs all did well and made a difference in pace and urgency. 

Not a pretty win but just the job considering Bristols position and form. 

Bit of a strange one today. I honestly couldn’t give a damn if we played well or not today. My only concern was to win the game for B4, and I am so glad that we did. This was for B4. Never met him, but I didn’t need to. His posts told me all I need to know. A true Ram. One of the good guys.  The world is worse of without him. Quite emotional really (and I never met him! Just goes to show how many people the man touched indirectly), I am so used to seing B4 on the forum, that this place is never really going to feel the same without him. It all feels empty. Rest well Daniel, enjoy the win. If more people were like you, the world would be a much better place.

Edited by DanS1992

Fornah definitely put in a performance worthy of keeping the shirt for the Port Vale game. Seems pretty likely with Smith seemingly certain to be out for a few game - hopefully Bird is just a bit sore and came off as a precaution. Whislt I dont think Houirhane-Fornah-Bird is the ideal combination, I do think it's better than what we have had for most of this season.

A lack of wingers, other than Mendez-Laing, who can score in the league is continuing to be a problem this season. I wouldn't be surprised if Warne reverts to 352, especially now Waghorn and John-Jules are both fit enough for the matchday squad. Collins, Waghorn, John-Jules and Mendez-Laing competing for the 2 spots for now, with Washington to add to the mix when he's fit again.

1 hour ago, jono said:

His touches were still sublime but he wasn't the focal point of their attack which,as we know,he needs to be.

Still scored a glancing header out of nothing which is something none of our current centre forwards are capable of.....

Cashin did a very good job of looking after him tho today and clearly got under his skin as  Chrissie threw him to the ground at one point for his efforts 😁

I'd still have him over any of our current cf's even if he's slower than a slow thing...but running around a lot was never his thing,being in the right place at the right time was.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 hour ago, jono said:

You’re too kind.

I was acknowledging the great man that’s all, having a bit of fun. Some of the touches were lovely. Sibley, Washington, Bird even NML would love playing into him.  It was a good header.  If that didn’t rekindle anything .. even for a moment… then you Sir are cold. 

Collins did ok. One nice bit of skill in particular. Out of position a few times but still an improved performance on those before his recent goal spree. 

Your post was good throughout. Well done and keep it up young man. 

Edited by norwichram

3 hours ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Just got back, still can’t believe he picks the midfield trio of smith Hourihane and bird, never seen it work yet and definitely didn’t work today!! 

It worked very well against Barnsley and against Exeter and Northampton. But take your point I don’t like it either and it definitely didn’t look right today. Better when Fornah came on.