Bristol Rovers - 25 November

B4’s Sister

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Yeah I'm not complaining 👍

I said months ago that if we can get into the top 6 by Christmas we'll be an attractive proposition for players that want to come in for a promotion push.  Last season we lost out due to still being under EFL restrictions, all the teams around us strengthened and we ran out of stamina. 

We've got some money this season and hopefully this season we've identified some players that can get us into the top 2.

Sorry wasnt having a pop at u .. when i said people , meant in general 👍

5 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Yeah I'm not complaining 👍

I said months ago that if we can get into the top 6 by Christmas we'll be an attractive proposition for players that want to come in for a promotion push.  Last season we lost out due to still being under EFL restrictions, all the teams around us strengthened and we ran out of stamina. 

We've got some money this season and hopefully this season we've identified some players that can get us into the top 2.

100% this 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Lucky to go in 0-0 at HT with them hitting the inside of the post. We looked much better when the game was stretched. When it isn’t, and Rovers sat in, we looked dire. I also thought Bristol played the ball out well through midfield. They looked decent. When teams sit in, a midfield of Smith and Hourihane don’t look capable of doing anything creative and are also easily played through when we lose possession (which we did very quickly at times). Thankfully, Fornah took responsibility and drove to the byline for our second goal, because at that time, we had cocked it up. 

All in all, a welcome three points and I will enjoy my Saturday night because of them but not the performance 

Just now, TomTom92 said:

Smith minus his Pirlo performance against Blackpool offers us very little. I know Fornah has been mixed so far but rather have him in there than Smith. 

That said, Bird, Hourihane and Fornah still doesn’t fill me with confidence.

It’s better than the current alternative though. The pedestrian nature of Hourihane/Smith just doesn’t work. They don’t have the movement on or off the ball. 

Just now, Srg said:

It’s better than the current alternative though. The pedestrian nature of Hourihane/Smith just doesn’t work. They don’t have the movement on or off the ball. 

Hourihane spends most of his time in the back four where can collect it, play a five yard pass and have an easy life. Bird has quality but never wants the ball and Smith spends his time upfront with his back to goal and just gets outmuscled. His pain threshold is zero. 
The three off them are never close together so we just play it to the wings and hope, which is an odd plan with the forwards we have.

We looked more dynamic with Fornah on and Wilson improved us too.

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

Yeah agree we haven’t got much option. Feel like we’re missing that magic in the middle but can’t see us pursuing that kind of player until Hourihane has gone.

1 minute ago, Gerry Daly said:

I thought it was an abysmal performance glossed over by the fact that we somehow managed to win it. We would not have done if Smith had not got injured and replaced by Fornah

But we did win. If we sacked Warne and his successor came in I doubt most of us would care if we stole a victory. 

Whilst today doesn’t banish any demons for me regarding Warne, a wins a win and better to feel good about it than pick fault IMO.

First half was dire, second half was better, so pleased for the 3 points, at 1-0 up we nearly messed it up when Mendez did a stupid challenge, who was there to equalise, u guessed it Martin, but then Fornah took control, pulled a perfect ball back to Mendez who made amends for that stupid challenge, 2-1, to the mighty Rams. B4 would have been bouncing after that late winner, and yes tonight we are top 6, 6 points behind Pompy, could B4 had been right all along, Pompy we are coming for u, so tonight I will raise a glass to B4. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

7 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Yeah agree we haven’t got much option. Feel like we’re missing that magic in the middle but can’t see us pursuing that kind of player until Hourihane has gone.

I thought albeit briefly but embleton gave us a little more energy and movement higher up the pitch… but then obviously got crocked

warne will know what we need , its just a case of can we get it 

20 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I thought it was an abysmal performance glossed over by the fact that we somehow managed to win it. We would not have done if Smith had not got injured and replaced by Fornah

It wasn’t a great game, neither team looked great, but it didn’t quite hit the “abysmal performance” definition for me.

20 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I thought albeit briefly but embleton gave us a little more energy and movement higher up the pitch… but then obviously got crocked

I hope you’re right, but his persistence of the current pairing and Fornah getting splinters does have us all wondering. 

15 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

He doesn’t just know what we need, he’s told us. 

Defence is fine (despite what some would say) and our defensive record speaks for itself. 

Midfield we either need a nasty sod who would do the dirty work to free up Bird/Fornah or a pacey creative player in a young Hourihane mould. 

And a pacey striker, literally just pace and a pair of strikers boots will do.