Derby County Versus Crewe Alexandra - Match Day Thread - ( FA Cup 1st Rd Replay )

S8TY

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

OK. So same questions @Andicis. Do you think the players will assume any responsibility for tonight?

I've already said I wasn't at the game. Were you? You didn't answer that question. 

I said yes I do think the players will have assumed some responsibility. However they aren't in charge, Warne is. If they'd not done what the manager asked they would not have played - we have that verbatim from Hourihane.

Edited by RoyMac5

20 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Ok apologies. I assumed Radio Derby knew their facts. When has it happened before?

We were away, lost 2-1 and had stuffed them in the League cup 5-1 earlier in the season as some comfort.  So I'd still say this was s****** than that one mate. 

A 3-1 defeat at home, in the First round, against a team a league below us would be our worst cup exit officially. There have been some crappier results but later in the tournament. 

Here's to Warney matching that up with our longest spell in the 3rd tier.

giphy.gif

People saying it's the players to blame.  I was prepared to believe it was the players last season.  Time and time again.  But Warnes had two windows now, brought in a dozen or so new players.  And it's still the players to blame?  When we have been this inconsistent for this long you can't keep saying it's the players.  

I was going to start a new thread but I'll just mention what's on my mind in this one.

If we all put down our Ram Goggles and looked at it objectively, just how good are our players in truth? How many of those who are usually in the matchday squad would we consider to be genuinely good enough for a top-two team in this league? And of those, how many would command a regular starting place in even just a lower mid-table Championship side? 

In my opinion it isn't that many, even for the top-two in our division. Bird certainly, Cashin, Wildsmith and Vickers probably, Nelson, Wilson, NML and Nyambe possibly. I hold hopes for some of the younger lads too, especially Thompson. 

The remainder though wouldn't, again in my opinion, be starting many (or indeed any) games for a Championship club that isn't on its arse (hello Wendies) or a top two L1 side. That includes regular starters for us like Fozzy, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Collins, Waghorn, Washington and Smith. 

As for Sibley, who knows what his true level is? I'm not sure anybody does and that seems to include several Derby managers.

So what's your point caller? Dunno really. I suppose it's that our squad is still unbalanced and basically isn't any better than our league position suggests it is. 

Edited by Rampant

8 minutes ago, DerbyAleMan said:

To be fair to Warne he mentioned this in his radio Derby interview, and said we should not have kept hitting the ball in the area time and time again, we should have been more patient and try to work out better openings, the players chose to do this. 

He also talks repeatedly about wanting to get it forward quickly.  It’s no wonder the players are struggling to implement what he wants.

2 hours ago, DiggerB said:

Not Smith. He’s having a terrible game. Not on his own though. No life in us. Crewe want it more!

It can’t be easy playing mid-midfield in a Warne-ball team…but have to say he was totally off the pace. Sloppy in losing the ball, stray passes and easily by-passed. Gave away the fk that led to their 1st. Can’t understand why he didn’t change it sooner as it was clear there was plenty of fertile space in front of our defence. It was very apparent. 

2 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

People saying it's the players to blame.  I was prepared to believe it was the players last season.  Time and time again.  But Warnes had two windows now, brought in a dozen or so new players.  And it's still the players to blame?  When we have been this inconsistent for this long you can't keep saying it's the players.  

Tonight was largely the same players though, 9 of the 11 starters were in the team last season. How can the team play so well at Barnsley under Warne's instructions, but seem unable to play with any tempo at all tonight? I'm not a Warne apologist, I've openly stated in this thread I don't believe he's the right man, but the players are **also** the problem. 

3 minutes ago, Rampant said:

I was going to start a new thread but I'll just mention what's on my mind in this one.

If we all put down our Ram Goggles and looked at it objectively, just how good are our players in truth? How many of those who are usually in the matchday squad would we consider to be genuinely good enough for a top-two team in this league? And of those, how many would command a regular starting place in even just a lower mid-table Championship side? 

In my opinion it isn't that many, even for the top-two in our division. Bird certainly, Cashin, Wildsmith and Vickers probably, Nelson, Wilson, NML and Nyambe possibly. I hold hopes for some of the younger lads too, especially Thompson. 

The remainder though wouldn't, again in my opinion, be starting many (or indeed any) games for a Championship club that isn't on its arse (hello Wendies). That includes regular starters for us like Fozzy, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Collins, Waghorn, Washington and Smith. 

As for Sibley, who knows what his true level is? I'm not sure anybody does and that seems to include several Derby managers.

So what's your point caller? Dunno really. I suppose it's that our squad is still unbalanced and basically isn't any better than our league position suggests it is. 

The players are plenty good enough. The game-plan is the problem. Crewe worked extremely hard for their victory so credit to them…but that’s the point, match Derby in the running, keep your shape and gaps will open up in front of Derby’s area. Endless balls out wide, lump in a cross and that’s it. Ward put in about 5 crosses late 2nd half and their keeper caught them all unchallenged. It’s predictable, unsophisticated and easy to absorb. Without NML we are very derivative in style. 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I said yes I do think the players will have assumed some responsibility. However they aren't in charge, Warne is. If they'd not done what the manager asked they would not have played - we have that verbatim from Hourihane.

What the F are we arguing about then? All I suggested was maybe there should be some shared responsibility which you now seem to (maybe) agree with even though you said there is no such thing as shared responsibility.

Third time of asking, were you at the game?

Regardless of the tactic or style of play Warne wants, do you think the players are seriously going to be thinking none of it was their fault, they were only following orders (even if they did put in poor crosses or missed tackles etc if they did)?

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

What the F are we arguing about then? All I suggested was maybe there should be some shared responsibility which you now seem to (maybe) agree with even though you said there is no such thing as shared responsibility.

Third time of asking, were you at the game?

Regardless of the tactic or style of play Warne wants, do you think the players are seriously going to be thinking none of it was their fault, they were only following orders (even if they did put in poor crosses or missed tackles etc if they did)?

I'm not arguing you are. You think I have to answer your every question. Lol. Go ask someone who is bothered.

Edited by RoyMac5