January Reinforcements

sage

2 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

He says "two are close but there are no guarantees".  If you choose not to hear that then that's your problem.   

I’ve said Im quite relaxed with the lack of signings so far. But to play devils advocate I can see why others get frustrated because he doesn’t help himself.

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

But he has said things like that, that’s what I don’t get. Maybe people just stop listening to all of what he says after picking out sound bites. He has regularly explained that he’s after signing a player or players but there are many variables in the process, and sometimes it doesn’t work out.

To answer your question I think there’s potentially enough in this current squad, provided we don’t lose anyone in Jan, to be promoted (probably via the playoffs). If we bolster that with 3 loan players as we did in Jan 2023 then it could help us further, if we signed a couple of quality permanent additions then autos could be on.

I said in the summer there’s enough firepower to score goals when people were lamenting the loss of McGoldrick, and look at that we’re out scoring last season at this same stage with the goals spread around. There’s more depth, cover and balance in the squad this year than there was last year, so we’re already in a stronger position in that sense in my opinion. We’ve won more points than we had at the same stage. We have capable players to come back from injury. It is already not the same situation we found ourselves in last January and there’s plenty of time left for it to improve further before Feb 1st. I don’t feel the angst about it that others seem to, but I guess they’re entitled to feel that way too.

Fair enough then, I’ll give you your dos McGoldrick hasn’t proven to be a loss. But I can’t help that think without 2-3 good additions we could end up falling away. Even if we get play offs, if we don’t go up it’s a failure. 

Like I said, I’m relaxed about our January so far, none of our competitors have set the world alight either. But I just find the unnecessary comments irksome.

Ultimately Warne can only spend what he’s got, but unfortunately for him if it goes wrong it’ll be his head on the block not Pearce or Clowes.

6 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Fair enough then, I’ll give you your dos McGoldrick hasn’t proven to be a loss. But I can’t help that think without 2-3 good additions we could end up falling away. Even if we get play offs, if we don’t go up it’s a failure. 

Like I said, I’m relaxed about our January so far, none of our competitors have set the world alight either. But I just find the unnecessary comments irksome.

Ultimately Warne can only spend what he’s got, but unfortunately for him if it goes wrong it’ll be his head on the block not Pearce or Clowes.

I want us to strengthen, don’t get me wrong, I’d like to see a couple of additions added and sooner rather than later so that we can kick on and get back to the championship. I just don’t think the present situation of Derby going into the second half of the season is the same as the situation last January and am patient to see how it plays out before deadline day. If we don’t add anyone and don’t lose anyone either then we go with what we’ve got

1 hour ago, Returning ram said:

4 seasons Ipswich was in this league for and we are expecting a team that has been rebuilt from scratch to steamroll this league based on it being the worst in a long time. A league made up of mainly the same teams, it still took them 4 seasons 🤨

The other point is that, Hull are 16 points behind a team that has only been promoted one season ago, surely if their manager is as good as some make out, that wouldnt be the case ?

It's pretty much irrelevant IMO how long other teams took to get themselves promoted,  just as pointing toward poor results from other promotion contenders against weaker opposition shouldn't be used as an excuse for our own failure to beat the same team. Portsmouth losing to Cheltenham doesn't excuse our result against them when we played them.

You can only look after your own results and performances, and you can only assess how you're performing in the league as it stands while you're in it.

This league is undergoing a bit of an evolution from one in which 'footballing' teams struggle against less technical but more physical / dirty / time wasting, opposition to one where most teams try to play the ball on the floor but lack the quality to be effective at it.

You can count on less than two hands the number of games we've had in League One where the opposition has matched the stereotypical idea of what we'd be facing. 

Sunderland/Ipswich/Forest/Leeds/Whoever being relegated to this league 5+ years ago faced different challenges to the ones we've faced when they came down simply because of the makeup of the league, and that's before considering they all needed to shift a lot of deadwood and change a losing mentality before they could start to rebuild - there are benefits to being built from scratch.

It's probably not as straightforward as saying the league is 'the worst it ever has been" (although it's definitely worse than last season) but it's certainly different, and it actually suits us pretty well IMO.

In some ways we're a bit of a throwback, somewhere between the 'traditional' idea of League One and the one it's evolving toward, so we can both outwork teams (not outfight, but we don't need to) and we also have the quality to outplay them when we decide to do that.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

14 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

It’s the name of the game isn’t it. Bottom line we are a good side, we have earned our position, our players have given at least as much as any one of us could ask. It’s a a bit of a lottery 2 players, in the right place, with the right skill set could tip a balance and we could be kings and emperors at our level.  But do they sign, are they the right ones ? Do we lose some disinterested pieces elsewhere.

Funny thing is without being biased, this is L1 and if you  were a player with ambition, would a few percentage points in salary and contract terms mean that much if it was .. play for DCFC / 25,000 home crowd every week - pure theatre ..  and Wycombe wanderers with a dodgy car park policy? Perrrrlease ! . So you are Wayne Champney Fortesque  .. 21, young gun, lots of utube highlight reels .. want to sign for Crawley, Wycombe or, oh maybe Derby County ? .,🤣. Come on .. call me entitled .. don’t give an F .. Dreams man, have dreams

Isn't January the last pay date for our Polish superstar who had a world cup to prepare that lasted a calendar year. I doubt Birmingham paid us 1.5 million and the last year of his huge wage. Anything from Knights fee for operating cost has probably gone there with a loan fee top up for John Jules. Efe Ambrose it is. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

It’s the name of the game isn’t it. Bottom line we are a good side, we have earned our position, our players have given at least as much as any one of us could ask. It’s a a bit of a lottery 2 players, in the right place, with the right skill set could tip a balance and we could be kings and emperors at our level.  But do they sign, are they the right ones ? Do we lose some disinterested pieces elsewhere.

Funny thing is without being biased, this is L1 and if you  were a player with ambition, would a few percentage points in salary and contract terms mean that much if it was .. play for DCFC / 25,000 home crowd every week - pure theatre ..  and Wycombe wanderers with a dodgy car park policy? Perrrrlease ! . So you are Wayne Champney Fortesque  .. 21, young gun, lots of utube highlight reels .. want to sign for Crawley, Wycombe or, oh maybe Derby County ? .,🤣. Come on .. call me entitled .. don’t give an F .. Dreams man, have dreams

We all have dreams of putting the white shirt on and scoring in front of the South stand. Are players bothered about the size of the crowd or the value of the contract ?Sorry to say it’s about the ££££’s or why would Knight have gone ,and more to follow.

On 10/01/2024 at 17:53, Barney1991 said:

Love clowes for saving the club but obvious to see he’s repaired a broken car with elastic bands doesn’t have the money to run derby long term or at least spend anything. Never going to be a weaker league 1 or a better opportunity for to get promoted. I’m not saying spend millions on transfers but couple hundred thousand on players shouldn’t be out of our remit 

Not the message people want to hear but I think what you say is right. And if we do get promotion, I’m guessing life in the championship would be no better. If not worse …  

I think the reason some get a bit disappointed when the window is open is the same reason I do 

We don’t want to spend silly money and go against financial restraints blahdy blah but it’s the fact that PW explains how difficult it is to get anyone and all the stars have to line up and the wind has to be blowing in the right direction etc etc when others seem to just get on with it and get players in eg Charlton signing Coventry 

it seems to follow a similar path each time saying we are near players have been shown round blah blah and we all think this is Derby and we should be able to sign a couple of half decent first team players for league 1 and then in the last few days PW says we tried but everything can just change and it’s so difficult to get the right players in yet also say it’s not difficult to get players to play for a club like ours ??

Then hey presto …last knockings of the window  cue the Springett and White signings ….lol ….we’ve had all season to identify the players that would make a difference yet something stops it from happening and I don’t think it’s all about finances 

6 hours ago, S8TY said:

I think the reason some get a bit disappointed when the window is open is the same reason I do 

We don’t want to spend silly money and go against financial restraints blahdy blah but it’s the fact that PW explains how difficult it is to get anyone and all the stars have to line up and the wind has to be blowing in the right direction etc etc when others seem to just get on with it and get players in eg Charlton signing Coventry 

it seems to follow a similar path each time saying we are near players have been shown round blah blah and we all think this is Derby and we should be able to sign a couple of half decent first team players for league 1 and then in the last few days PW says we tried but everything can just change and it’s so difficult to get the right players in yet also say it’s not difficult to get players to play for a club like ours ??

Then hey presto …last knockings of the window  cue the Springett and White signings ….lol ….we’ve had all season to identify the players that would make a difference yet something stops it from happening and I don’t think it’s all about finances 

There never seems to be a happy ending.....

...well, perhaps in bubbles spa.....😉

6 hours ago, S8TY said:

I think pw is concerned about a repeat of the end of last season, jaded players and not enough cover.

He's concerned that without strengthening the squad it will not be strong enough to get promotion this season.

He recognises that the team needs at least 3 new players but is hoping to get at least 2 in.

He sees the obvious like needing a new striker.

That aside I don't see him as tactically astute. He doesn't seem to make enough formation changes when needed.