January Reinforcements

sage

1 minute ago, StarterForTen said:

You think?

Absolutely. It was practically a done deal at the end of the last window and I don't see anything has changed. Brighton's interest was apparent for a few weeks and we tried to create an auction by making it public, but there were no takers at that level. Cash has done enough to maintain his reputation and a goal last night doesn't hurt. As a League One club I don't think we can afford not to take a seven-figure fee for a player who will leave for nothing in the summer. At the time we wanted a loan back for the season but Brighton wanted it until January so they could move him into the Championship in January after we'd had time to source a replacement. This time, we might get the loan back. Or if they pay more, we might have to buy someone in. We've had the last few months to plan for this, so should have someone ready.

29 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I expect Cashin will go to Brighton for an undisclosed fee that's probably a million plus add-ons. 

They'll be lucky, they paid £3.5m plus add ons for Matt Clarke from lg1 Porstmouth in 2019, a player in a similar position. We also have the option of a further year on his contract, so even if he left then in 2025 he would still command a compensation fee which I believe would be in excess of your figure of £1m.

In the club's current position, it wouldn't be worth risking the chance of promotion for such a small fee. Added to that, there is likely to be competition for his signature with Hull and Birmingham plus others reported to be interested.

6 minutes ago, Carnero said:

You've obviously completely missed the fact that Derby have a 1 year extension option in the club's favour.

Great if so and indeed something I'd missed. In that case we might still have to take the summer bid of 3 million, depending on how the finances look. I'd rather keep him.

11 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Have you entered some sort of time warp and ended up in 1993?

Over Christmas I had weird dreams to that effect, time-travelling back to then and deciding what shares I needed to buy to make a fortune if I wasn't able to return to my own time. And what sporting events to bet on!

I honestly can't see us allowing Cashin to go anywhere unless it's either a ludicrous sum for him to move now or a lesser sum with a loan back until the end of the season, because why would we damage our promotion chances for a paltry sum like £1M? 

Neither would there be much point Cashin pushing for a move himself when he could walk away at the end of the season for nothing but compensation and pick himself up a big signing on fee.

Stranger things have happened in football but that scenario doesn't really stack up.

On 26/12/2023 at 17:09, Returning ram said:

He never said run harder,

When he first joined, it was literally the only thing he said for weeks. ‘gas out’ …. ‘gas out’…   

Derby County - dcfcofficial

Work, press, win your one v ones, gas out from the first whistle to the last That's been the message to the players and Paul Warne says… 

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I honestly can't see us allowing Cashin to go anywhere unless it's either a ludicrous sum for him to move now or a lesser sum with a loan back until the end of the season, because why would we damage our promotion chances for a paltry sum like £1M? 

Neither would there be much point Cashin pushing for a move himself when he could walk away at the end of the season for nothing but compensation and pick himself up a big signing on fee.

Stranger things have happened in football but that scenario doesn't really stack up.

I assume if we take up his one yr option by Jan 30th, that shouldn't be a problem. It does seem inevitable to me however, that we have a chairman who spaffed 50 million on a League 1 club, may still be covering some overheads and will probably like a few million back.  If we're offered 3 million now, I expect he'll take it and we may try and get Edmundson on loan from Ipswich again assuming Portsmouth aren't buying him as is the rumour.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Great if so and indeed something I'd missed. In that case we might still have to take the summer bid of 3 million, depending on how the finances look. I'd rather keep him.

Over Christmas I had weird dreams to that effect, time-travelling back to then and deciding what shares I needed to buy to make a fortune if I wasn't able to return to my own time. And what sporting events to bet on!

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b9n96ei896fe9k953tmn

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Absolutely. It was practically a done deal at the end of the last window and I don't see anything has changed. Brighton's interest was apparent for a few weeks and we tried to create an auction by making it public, but there were no takers at that level. Cash has done enough to maintain his reputation and a goal last night doesn't hurt. As a League One club I don't think we can afford not to take a seven-figure fee for a player who will leave for nothing in the summer. At the time we wanted a loan back for the season but Brighton wanted it until January so they could move him into the Championship in January after we'd had time to source a replacement. This time, we might get the loan back. Or if they pay more, we might have to buy someone in. We've had the last few months to plan for this, so should have someone ready.

Interesting how Cash would react if he decided to go but we exercised that 1 year option… 

Edited by caymanram

Just having a nose on TwXtter and found a little “suggestion” post for Derby signings, one of the replies to that thread suggested Ronan Coughlan who’s available on a free having just about finished his deal with Waterford. Never heard of the bloke, but a quick Google shows he’s linked with Fleetwood having just scored 36 goals in 37 games this season as Waterford earned promotion from the Irish first division. 
Clearly a lower standard of league, but at 27 years old and on a free could he be worth signing as another option up top? Purely based on those numbers and knowing nothing else about him. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I assume if we take up his one yr option by Jan 30th, that shouldn't be a problem. It does seem inevitable to me however, that we have a chairman who spaffed 50 million on a League 1 club, may still be covering some overheads and will probably like a few million back.  If we're offered 3 million now, I expect he'll take it and we may try and get Edmundson on loan from Ipswich again assuming Portsmouth aren't buying him as is the rumour.

I'd forgotten about the 1 year option, but to me it would still make more sense to resist selling Cashin now, keep the current vibe strong, but promise him we'll listen to acceptable bids from clubs in higher divisions at the end of the season if he wants to leave. Above all, speak honestly to him and keep our word.

13 hours ago, Crewton said:

Can you imagine the Nuclear meltdown on here if we sold him , didn't get a loan back , then missed out on promotion ? 

7 hours ago, caymanram said:

Interesting how Cash would react if he decided to go but we exercised that 1 year option… 

Don't think it works like that really. The 1 year extension is an insurance policy to protect against players going on a free so it's no difference if he was on a 5 year contract - if he wants to go (and I suspect it'll only be money that makes him want to move - can't blame him), it doesn't really change anything as we're protected by his contract. 

FWIW - I think either Bird or Cashin will go for reasonable (£3m-£4m with add ons (also suspect it'll be an undisclosed fee to avoid us being fleeced when buying)) sums to allow us to improve the whole squad. I suspect it'll be Cashin as Bradley is an expensive bench warmer at the moment and I think PW will be thinking that Bradley will come in and do a job but we'll have the funds to get a new midfielder and striker. Plus another CB prob.

In short, I imagine he's looking for an overall squad improvement at the expense of losing one player.

And, very importantly, they'll prob be some money left over to extend contracts for those that are running out. 

Selling our best players is not about a lack of ambition - it's about big picture stuff. We need a striker and have the money to retain or extend those that PW wants to keep for next year.

36 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Can you imagine the Nuclear meltdown on here if we sold him , didn't get a loan back , then missed out on promotion ? 

In those circumstances, I think any fan would be justified in being annoyed. It would count almost as self-harm.