Cool the anti-Clowes rhetoric

i-Ram

On 29/10/2023 at 08:49, trappatoni said:

Commenting on the ownership is fair game.   We had this with with MM - you can't criticise because he's a fan, he's putting his own money in - and look where that ended up. 

Whether the comments/ criticism are fair is all that should matter. 

I was very vocal about my dislike of Morris.  I could see through his lies and insincerity.

For that I was often shot down in pieces on here for my views on that horrible man.

However, you hear no such thing from me about David Clowes.  We wouldn't have a club if it wasn't for him.  However, I do feel as if he does not have the financial clout that is needed to run a football club and I would welcome him bringing in some other entrepreneur to share the burden of bringing this club back to where we should be.

Comparing Morris with Clowes is like comparing a rat with a lion

On 28/10/2023 at 22:30, i-Ram said:

I understand that when the football isn’t pretty, and the league position is dire, football fans will inevitably lash out. However, I am amazed that there are a good number on here tonight slating our owner. This is a staggering state of affairs even for our club, only some 15 months since he saved us.  Cool it down lads. 

Never mind the football - When did you change to that cute profile pic? I adore sea otters

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

It’s just utter b******* on Twitter. 

Fans are nuts. Bonkers. 

They’re pushing be towards being Warne in just to back our selfless owner against this abysmal rhetoric. 

507C36E1-1A39-4FD5-9F48-F001BB300818.jpeg

02EE1C1C-8E5C-4561-9B9C-199C2BDA658D.png

Those 3 are part of a group I see on twitter all the time, and they seem to exclusively post bad takes. Most of them come off as fairly naïve so i tend to write it off due to age. Advocating for Mike Ashley over DC feels like a new level of stupidity has been unlocked though 😂

David Clowes has a free pass for life. The situation we were in when he bought us makes that so. I'm amazed that others feel anything different, but guess people do have short memories. 

I will critique his ownership of the club, in a constructive manner (not that he would listen, nor should he) but you'll never see anything derogatory from me towards him and if anyone is bold enough to do so then I would hope there is enough of us to pull them up on their b******* and explain the gravity of the situation we were in when he saved the club. 

I really hope this works out for him. He obviously feels like he's got a good one in Warne and is happy to bat for him against the supporters. Many weaker owners would buckle to fan pressure. Of course, he could be completely wrong and the situation never gets any better. He's the one with skin in the game at the end of the day, so I'll support his decision - whatever it is. 

That said: I personally do not see it getting better, by that I don't mean our league position, because I think even with Warne we will be in the play-offs come the end of the season due to the nature of just how s**** this league is, but I definitely don't see him as a long-term solution for this club. That is my opinion.

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Those 3 are part of a group I see on twitter all the time, and they seem to exclusively post bad takes. Most of them come off as fairly naïve so i tend to write it off due to age. Advocating for Mike Ashley over DC feels like a new level of stupidity has been unlocked though 😂

I’m fairly confident at least one of them posts on here regularly also. 
People have different opinions, fair enough I guess, that’s life….I just don’t share them….or understand them 😂 

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

People have different opinions, fair enough I guess, that’s life….I just don’t share them….or understand them 😂 

They're entitled to their views, the weird thing about DCFC twitter is that it just seems to be a negative circlejerk at the minute where others just back them up. I've avoided it recently because it just seems to be venting, rather than balanced views.

On 29/10/2023 at 11:33, Rev said:

According to The Athletic, on revenues of £20m last season, we still posted a small loss. 

Hard to criticise a man who still pumps money in.

We need to be in the Championship when the new deal starts, otherwise he'll have to keep pumping money in.

This. We have no clue what is going on behind the scenes and this ridiculous view that unless the owner pumps in another £200m he's not worthy is ridiculous. So I won't even start to question how the club is run financially. What I will say, and I am sure that Clowes shares this view, is that we should not be a League One club and, more than that, we should not be a middling League One club. For two reasons, one being that we have such an impressive infrastructure, fanbase and set up that makes it very challenging to see how we can't use that to our advantage in this league in the same way that the likes of Man City and Liverpool do in the top flight.

But, maybe more importantly, because we have such an impressive infrastructure we can't survive in this league for ever and a day. It's like expecting to ask your postie to do their rounds in a Range Rover - the maths of it just don't add up. If we don't get outta this place in the next few years we will be back exactly where we were 15 months ago.

I'd never criticise David Clowes the man. He pumped an insane amount of money into us and saved us from the abyss. For that, he'll always have my admiration and gratitude as he should of every Derby County fan. I also don't think he's been completely wrong in setting the direction. I like the campaign of cleaning up our image, changing our culture and focusing on unity (even if it's not apparent right now). However, I think he's made a whopper of a mistake with both Warne and Rosenior. He appears on the face of it to be doubling down. I guess all we can see is what happens. 

3 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Oh hi how are you, there's me on that screenshot.

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That's me.

I'll be forever grateful to Clowes for saving the club, don't get me wrong, but that doesn't mean he is immune to criticism.
That's exactly how you get problems we had under Mel. If we want to avoid Mel Mk II, we need to be looking at decisions Clowes makes and holding him accountable if necessary otherwise we could find ourselves in the same situation. I thought older fans would hold this view more than the younger fans as they've experienced the other bad owners.

20 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

That's me.

I'll be forever grateful to Clowes for saving the club, don't get me wrong, but that doesn't mean he is immune to criticism.
That's exactly how you get problems we had under Mel. If we want to avoid Mel Mk II, we need to be looking at decisions Clowes makes and holding him accountable if necessary otherwise we could find ourselves in the same situation. I thought older fans would hold this view more than the younger fans as they've experienced the other bad owners.

the lord of the rings pippin GIF

I’m a hopeful old fool me. I’ve seen very little about how Clowes has handled things so far that requires anyone to “hold him to account”, Warne isn’t playing the style of football some want to see and so far this season we’re off the pace, hardly grounds for a public scolding or forced sale of the club just yet. And yes, he isn’t above measured and warranted (ideally fact based) criticism….but Warne potential being a bad choice of manager is not quite comparable with Mel’s going to war with the EFL, financial gymnastics, or failing to pay the tax man.

For the record, I don’t think I actually qualify as “old” yet…maybe “older”, and perhaps more patient due to life experience BUT don’t want to lean into age based generalisations as plenty young and old are holding opposing opinions at the mo.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

33 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

That's me.

No get a grip you know damn well criticising him for not spending enough or being cheap isn’t the same as criticising Morris for playing fire with FFP and throwing money at it. 

you’re being disingenuous at best with that line. 

‘I disagree with Warne as an appointment - I think he got it wrong’ vs ‘if he’s too cheap to spend money on a striker he needs to sell up’ 

One is valid criticism. One is bed wetting fan entitlement. 

17 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m a hopeful old fool me. I’ve seen very little about how Clowes has handled things so far that requires anyone to “hold him to account”, Warne isn’t playing the style of football some want to see and so far this season we’re off the pace, hardly grounds for a public scolding or forced sale of the club just yet. And yes, he isn’t above measured and warranted (ideally fact based) criticism….but Warne potential being a bad choice of manager is not quite comparable with Mel’s going to war with the EFL, financial gymnastics, or failing to pay the tax man.

I think one of the major things he's got wrong so far is keeping Pearce as CEO, there's absolutely no way he should be anywhere near the club and should have been the first casualty of administration. 

Regarding Warne, personally, I think he got that wrong and I said that at the time it was a huge mistake to get rid of Rosenior, because I liked Rosenior's style and personality but knew I wouldn't like Warne's style. But I know that's mainly opinion based.

Off the pitch/non-footballing matters he's got mostly bang on, what he's doing regarding stadium upkeep and community work is superb.

Agree with the overall sentiment, but in an attempt to find some balance, Clowes gave Warne a 4 year contract which looks stupid given our financial predicament. And Warne is rocking up to post match interviews for games that we lost but should expect to win, and he doesn’t look or sound at all bothered. It’s not hurting enough. Warne is more interested in the latest fashion accessory than providing an analysis of the game and what we need to do differently. Sounds to me like Warne has no idea what the problem and solution are, and worse it doesn’t sound like he cares. And he’s started to blame others and distance himself. 

Overall it isn’t a good look from Warne, so Clowes needs to realise that the man he awarded a 4 year contract to is potentially taking someone for a long ride. That is for Clowes to deal with. If I were Warne I’d at least start to look like I’m taking this seriously rather than hide behind the latest bobble hat and lots of football chummy jargon like ‘diags’. It’s only the folks who don’t know what they’re doing who have to work that hard to sound like they do. Players are perceptive ; if they see the coach going through the motions, they are likely to follow. Personally I’d prefer teacups at half time.

Edited by Matchday Fred