Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Were we lucky in all 3 of these games? Genuine question.

The way I see it, we're quite effective when teams come at us, try to play a bit etc.  But we look clueless when teams set out to stop us playing and nick something.  If teams are just sitting in a low block, or maybe sitting someone on our DM to stop us playing out, we have no game-plan at all, we just keep lumping crosses into a brick wall.

Barnsley, Exeter and Northampton all, to varying degrees, tried to play against us and we picked them off.  Games like Shrewsbury, Stevenage etc, where they've set out to stop us, we've struggled.  From what Radio Derby were saying last night, it sounds like it started like a fairly open game (e.g. our first goal), but as the game went on and Crewe got the lead, Crewe sat deeper and deeper and just soaked everything up, and that's why our second half was so much worse than the first.

Those open games let our better players shine through, they get more time on the ball, more space to actually play. And the stuff that Warne wants us to doing actually has an effect.  We can press high and win it back when they play out from the back.  We can get it wide quickly and get crosses in because the game is more stretched, so more room to cross, more likely to be players running free in the box etc.  In those tight games, the stuff we're setting out to do is completely ineffective, because teams don't even try to play into our press, and they double up on our wingers, and pack their own box etc.  So our better players get stifled and the managers tactics don't do anything to actually effect the game either.

I'd much rather have beat Barnsley and lost to Crewe than the other way round. We were never going to win the cup, and is our squad strong enough for a cup run anyway? I honestly couldn't care less about this result, and I think the result at the weekend means far more.

It does feel a little bit like the anti-Warne brigade are just waiting for a poor result to set out their usual stall, and the results between don't factor into their thinking- maybe this is harsh? Any mention of ''luck'' or ''results in spite of the manager'' are getting dismissed outright as that's daft, you can't only credit the manager with the negatives and expect to be taken seriously... 

20 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I'd much rather have beat Barnsley and lost to Crewe than the other way round. We were never going to win the cup, and is our squad strong enough for a cup run anyway? I honestly couldn't care less about this result, and I think the result at the weekend means far more.

It does feel a little bit like the anti-Warne brigade are just waiting for a poor result to set out their usual stall, and the results between don't factor into their thinking- maybe this is harsh? Any mention of ''luck'' or ''results in spite of the manager'' are getting dismissed outright as that's daft, you can't only credit the manager with the negatives and expect to be taken seriously... 

The main issue with the loss is the team he put out. I don't think anyone would have minded if we had lost with 2-4 academy lads getting a game.

33 minutes ago, Srg said:

The main issue with the loss is the team he put out. I don't think anyone would have minded if we had lost with 2-4 academy lads getting a game.

Kind of a lose-lose though- he fields a strong team, as he did, and if we lose there's cries of ''where's the youth?''; alternatively, he fields a team of youngsters and if they get slaughtered he'd be called out for not protecting them enough. Would people really be happier if we played some kids but conceded an extra 2/3 goals as a result?

It's only the cup, we can take learnings from it, and i'm glad such a lethargic performance wasn't in the league. Really isn't the end of the world. 

Edited by YorkshireRam

11 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Kind of a lose-lose though- he fields a strong team, as he did, and if we lose there's cries of ''where's the youth?''; alternatively, he fields a team of youngsters and if they get slaughtered he'd be called out for not protecting them enough. Would people really be happier if we played some kids but conceded an extra 2/3 goals as a result?

It's only the cup, we can take learnings from it, and i'm glad such a lethargic performance wasn't in the league. Really isn't the end of the world. 

I would highly doubt we would have conceded 5 or 6 with a few younger players in there.

Playing a "strong team" of old guys with their, what? 6th game in 3 weeks? That's foolish.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Can we leave his wife out of this please?

" She's very talented and has a lot of positive aspects to her game but just didn't bring the aggression and hard running and over hit crosses that I demand in a Paul warne team" said Paul warne when asked if his wife should be in the starting 11 instead of Connor hourihane.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

I would highly doubt we would have conceded 5 or 6 with a few younger players in there.

Playing a "strong team" of old guys with their, what? 6th game in 3 weeks? That's foolish.

So the answer is no to my hypothetical question then?

We can't ever know whether a different team would have achieved different results. Of all the games to lose from our recent fixture list, if I had to pick one, I'm picking this all day long. Yes it's not ideal and a tad embarrassing to go out in the first round, but we weren't going to win the thing, and I honestly don't think we have enough squad depth for a longer cup run. 

The Barnsley win reflects more positively on Warne, than this does negatively- that's my overall view.

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

We can't ever know whether a different team would have achieved different results. Of all the games to lose from our recent fixture list, if I had to pick one, I'm picking this all day long. Yes it's not ideal and a tad embarrassing to go out in the first round, but we weren't going to win the thing, and I honestly don't think we have enough squad depth for a longer cup run. 

The Barnsley win reflects more positively on Warne, than this does negatively- that's my overall view.

Or, last night should never have happened and we should be beating them in the first game. 

23 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

we thought warne would have learnt something from crewe away,but obviously not,our paul knows best.surely now another abject performance against bristol ceals his fate

6 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Or, last night should never have happened and we should be beating them in the first game. 

Entitlement like that is very dangerous in football. You can't go in expecting to win games. 

8 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

we thought warne would have learnt something from crewe away,but obviously not,our paul knows best.surely now another abject performance against bristol ceals his fate

What was he supposed to have learned? Not sure I follow there. We underperformed on the day, it happens. The win at the weekend evidences that it could just be an off-day. We're on back-to-back wins in the league, why would a loss against Bristol seal his fate?

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

The FA Cup lost it's sparkle years ago...imo, So being knocked out means didley squat to me, What is a concern is the whole sh!t show from top to bottom at Moor Farm, Manager/Coaches/Players, This club lurch from the sublime to the ridiculous, Performances are sporadic, Players are either poor or good, PW says he's disappointed, He says the players hurried and put cross after cross in the box, Where's the leader on the pitch, The one the players voted in, He's the mouthpiece for PW.

Time and again that corner we think we had turned after a couple of good results is littered with booby traps that we fail to avoid, All self inflicted by players and management that are struggling to adapt to either a system or tactics or haven't the character to cope in a game of football    

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

I see it differently.

I sensed a whole club mentality after the Wolves game. We had two ideal opportunities since to build on that. Particularly Weston. Think how good he felt after the Wolves match. We could easily have given him the last 15 -20 against Barnsley. Then last night, none of those senior players could have any complaints if they got subbed for a youngster. At 3-1 the game was perfectly set for a cup hero, no real pressue, just go out and see if you can get us back in. But no. All that good from the Wolves game wasted. That fire and desire in Weston dampened as he sits and watches players going through the motions. I imagine he feels somewhat deflated.

It just cements my opinion that Warne is not a risk taker and he sees anyone under 21/20 as a risk, with very little trust. For a club with an academy that we have done a lot of work to get back in shape it concerns me greatly.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

On the assumption that you're referring to Alex Ferguson, he would never publicly criticise his team.

Surely he can ( and should) speak of "the players" or the"team" not playing well and criticise them, or even use the royal "we". Pretty sure Alex Ferguson did that. The trouble is Warne often thinks we played well when the performance was poor e.g. the away game at Crewe.

5 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Surely he can ( and should) speak of "the players" or the"team" not playing well and criticise them, or even use the royal "we". Pretty sure Alex Ferguson did that. The trouble is Warne often thinks we played well when the performance was poor e.g. the away game at Crewe.

I don't recall Alex Ferguson ever doing that, pretty sure it was the officials fault every time they didn't win.

You say the Crewe performance was poor but that isn't really backed up by the statistics. 71% possession and 32 shots away from home does not shout out poor performance does it.

Maybe its just that Warne and some fans have different barometers on what is a good performance for a League One team?

12 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

The multi million pound American takeover that Ipswich had also helped.

Didn’t we have a multi million pound takeover as well. They landed on a good manager as well as coach who has coached them to perfection to play to their strengths with different styles to change it up and all players have bought into the project. Is on the other hand seem to have zero coaching I can’t figure out what the game plan is apart from get it wide and swing in crosses every 10 seconds we can’t change a match in game. The only time we have any joy is if we score first the other teams go after the equaliser and we hit them on the break and unlike Ipswich is hazard a guess most of the players haven’t bought in to the project 

Edited by Barney1991

31 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Entitlement like that is very dangerous in football. You can't go in expecting to win games. 

What was he supposed to have learned? Not sure I follow there. We underperformed on the day, it happens. The win at the weekend evidences that it could just be an off-day. We're on back-to-back wins in the league, why would a loss against Bristol seal his fate?

because the longer we put off the inevitable, the less of a club we become    

2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

we have a anti warne stall. Which market are we at so I can chuck a few quid in to the warne out campaign 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

I think once he’s out a strong team out though the players should have more than enough to beat crewe. 

We have created a bunch of misfits and managed by a fella who cannot motivate them.

Do we get rid of the players or the manager?

It has to be the manager thats got to go and we need bring in a fella that can motivate the players, get the best out of what we have got.

On paper we have got some great players that any other manager in League 1 would love in their team.

Why are we out of the top 6? 

Why are we out of both cups at the first hurdle?

Paul Warne that's why!

He has to go otherwise we could be repeating this every season.

Edited by Charliegeorge1962