Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

Quite simply, we can beat teams that try and win the game against us, but we struggle against teams that are happy to take a point. I guess Paul Warne has never had to deal with this as his experience is at Rotherham, a team that everybody tries to beat. Against Derby in league 1, a point is always seen as a good result, whether that's home or away.

So unless he can work out a way to change this it's hard to see how he can turn results around.

Maybe he's the wrong man at the wrong club, it happens.

15 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Quite simply, we can beat teams that try and win the game against us, but we struggle against teams that are happy to take a point. I guess Paul Warne has never had to deal with this as his experience is at Rotherham, a team that everybody tries to beat. Against Derby in league 1, a point is always seen as a good result, whether that's home or away.

So unless he can work out a way to change this it's hard to see how he can turn results around.

Maybe he's the wrong man at the wrong club, it happens.

Except Portsmouth and Bolton who played to beat us and we beat neither. 

21 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

There must be some assistant manager at a PL club who wants the step up. Similar to Ipswich with McKenna. As I've said in previous topics, we need someone with a knowledge of football to oversee it on behalf of Clowes and Pearce. Someone who studies football and knows where to find the right manager etc.

This is where a DoF would have this knowledge and look into that recruitment of a manager.

Here are my picks for someone that perhaps isn't the "easy" appointment.

Aaron Danks - as @Ghost of Clough mentioned,
Steve Round - don't think this needs explaining.
Des Buckingham - doing really well for Mumbai City (within the City Group) who was a former Oxford coach with Wilder, attractive style.
Stephen Bradley - Shamrock Rovers manager, linked with League 1 clubs consistently. 
Justin Cochrane - Head of academy coaching for Brentford, highly rated having had former roles with England and Man Utd.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Barks, NML, Birdy, Tommo, Hourihane, Sibley, Fozzy, Cashin, Nelson, Wilson, Wildsmith, Washington, Waggy are all capable of passing a football at this level.

I would hope that anyone who's played the game is capable of passing a football, The issue is once it's passed to their own player...what are they being told to do 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

This is where a DoF would have this knowledge and look into that recruitment of a manager.

Here are my picks for someone that perhaps isn't the "easy" appointment.

Aaron Danks - as @Ghost of Clough mentioned,
Steve Round - don't think this needs explaining.
Des Buckingham - doing really well for Mumbai City (within the City Group) who was a former Oxford coach with Wilder, attractive style.
Stephen Bradley - Shamrock Rovers manager, linked with League 1 clubs consistently. 
Justin Cochrane - Head of academy coaching for Brentford, highly rated having had former roles with England and Man Utd.

Heck. Buckingham would be a bit left field and high risk. He’s never played professional football and has only been the head coach of a senior team for 2 years and that’s in India (no disrespect to Indian domestic football, I know nothing about it and I suspect neither the majority of us but can it be compared to English football in the 2nd and 3rd tiers?). 

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Heck. Buckingham would be a bit left field and high risk

What's football without taking a risk? We went for the "safe" option and look how that's going. 

Buckingham is no mug, he's been identified as talented by City Football Group which is no mean feat, has a history of working closely with youth and plays an attractive style. He was heavily linked with Oxford prior to them appointing Manning and it'll only be a matter of time before he's working in England again. 

Wellington Phoenix - took them from bottom of the league to one place outside play offs, in his first job (at 31 years old).
New Zealand - got their U20's to their best ever finish in U20 World Cup, got the U23's to win Pacific Games and got them to qualify for the Olympics. 
Melbourne City - Won the League and Cup double, winning it for the first time in their history.
Mumbai City - Got their highest finished in the AFC Champions League and won the ISL with the longest unbeaten run in Indian history.

22 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

What's football without taking a risk? We went for the "safe" option and look how that's going. 

Buckingham is no mug, he's been identified as talented by City Football Group which is no mean feat, has a history of working closely with youth and plays an attractive style. He was heavily linked with Oxford prior to them appointing Manning and it'll only be a matter of time before he's working in England again. 

Wellington Phoenix - took them from bottom of the league to one place outside play offs, in his first job (at 31 years old).
New Zealand - got their U20's to their best ever finish in U20 World Cup, got the U23's to win Pacific Games and got them to qualify for the Olympics. 
Melbourne City - Won the League and Cup double, winning it for the first time in their history.
Mumbai City - Got their highest finished in the AFC Champions League and won the ISL with the longest unbeaten run in Indian history.

I really don’t think we’d be ready for quite such a risk given our recent traumas and his lack of experience playing or coaching in European football. 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Barks, NML, Birdy, Tommo, Hourihane, Sibley, Fozzy, Cashin, Nelson, Wilson, Wildsmith, Washington, Waggy are all capable of passing a football at this level.

So a serious question RoyMac5. Why aren’t they passing the football better at the moment. I don’t buy that it’s all Warne hoof ball as we have had some excellent paying movements for goals recently. Why can’t we pass the ball to each other.? Is it that people are too stationary (especially) the forwards, because I am absolutely certain that Warne does not tell them to pass it to the opposition. Are we too careless? Is our squad not quite as good as we think they are? Liam Rosenier’s side I guess completed more passes but the vast majority were across the back four.

seriously why can’t we pass the pass better?

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I really don’t think we’d be ready for quite such a risk given our recent traumas and his lack of experience playing or coaching in European football. 

Our most recent season recently was with a manager in their first ever job.

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

But what is safe? Hiring a manager with 3 promotions from this level? 

Ipswich with McKenna. Plymouth with Schumacher. I think the sport is changing. If you think about it, if you can attract someone “proven” at the level you are playing at you have to wonder why a) they would come to you and not be looking for better and b) why no one better wants them. 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Except Portsmouth and Bolton who played to beat us and we beat neither. 

There are always going to be exceptions but surely the original point is unarguable.

I'd give us a chance against anybody in this league if both teams are going for a win, but that is rarely the case in this league where we are seen, rightly or wrongly, as the biggest scalp.

5 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Our most recent season recently was with a manager in their first ever job.

Eh?

Last season wasn’t Warne’s first ever job.

If you’re referring to Rooney’s reign, at least he had played many games in English football (albeit at a much higher level than we’re likely to see any time soon). Critics might also suggest that whilst he helped gel the team and supporters together under extreme circumstances, his coaching ability in a normal season is untested and unproven.

I have nothing against Buckingham (I’ve never heard of him until you mentioned him) but I’d be surprised if the club looked at person that has never played or coached in Europe let alone England. Not that I think PW will be relieved of his duties in the short term.

18 minutes ago, nottingram said:

But what is safe? Hiring a manager with 3 promotions from this level? 

Ipswich with McKenna. Plymouth with Schumacher. I think the sport is changing. If you think about it, if you can attract someone “proven” at the level you are playing at you have to wonder why a) they would come to you and not be looking for better and b) why no one better wants them. 

I didn’t say we’d have to play safe. I just think a coach that has neither coached or even played professional football in at least Europe if not England would be a risk too far.

Schumacher played over 400 games in English football and was assistant manager at Plymouth before being appointed manager so, less of a risk. McKenna was assistant manager (accepted, he wasn’t head coach) at Man United.

Neither are particularly good comparisons to Buckingham.

Edited by Tamworthram

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I didn’t say we’d have to play safe. I just think a coach that has neither coached or even played professional football in at least Europe if not England would be a risk too far.

Schumacher played over 400 games in English football and was assistant manager at Plymouth before being appointed manager so, less of a risk. McKenna was assistant manager (accepted, he wasn’t head coach) at Man United.

Neither are particularly good comparisons to Buckingham.

Buckingham was Assistant Manager of Stoke U21s. He was also a youth player at Reading and Oxford.

Anyone who is familiar with football has to realise that it is now a question of "when" and not "if".

The writing is on the wall, all the signs are there with fan reactions, player reactions, same old interview stereotypes etc

The answer to "when" should be "now". No better time, no time to delay. Let's not waste any more precious fixtures

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Heck. Buckingham would be a bit left field and high risk. He’s never played professional football and has only been the head coach of a senior team for 2 years and that’s in India (no disrespect to Indian domestic football, I know nothing about it and I suspect neither the majority of us but can it be compared to English football in the 2nd and 3rd tiers?). 

Bit like SPL level I would think 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿😉

57 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

So a serious question RoyMac5. Why aren’t they passing the football better at the moment. I don’t buy that it’s all Warne hoof ball as we have had some excellent paying movements for goals recently. Why can’t we pass the ball to each other.? Is it that people are too stationary (especially) the forwards, because I am absolutely certain that Warne does not tell them to pass it to the opposition. Are we too careless? Is our squad not quite as good as we think they are? Liam Rosenier’s side I guess completed more passes but the vast majority were across the back four.

seriously why can’t we pass the pass better?

The players are being 'drilled' to get the ball forward as quickly as they can. By forward Warne means out wide and then put the ball across. Where's any real passing needed there? We can but I feel they are encouraged not to.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

The players are being 'drilled' to get the ball forward as quickly as they can. By forward Warne means out wide and then put the ball across. Where's any real passing needed there? We can but I feel they are encouraged not to.

The first half particularly was dreadful on Saturday. Wasnt so much hoof ball from Derby as such but just head tennis and an inability to get hold of the ball and pass and move. No effort to get on the ball and play. The second half was only a bit better because we put them under a bit of pressure.

The above simply cant be a lack of ability as we have decent technical players for this level so its got to be the team struggling with what is asked of them. Sorry but its difficult to watch in my opinion and Im usually positive by nature.