Will Clowes patience soon run out?

old tray boy

On 26/10/2023 at 09:20, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Derby being in L1 is like Spurs in the Championship. 

What do you think their supporters would be like after season 2 in a league their whole club structure doesn’t support? 

True. However the only reason we are in league one is down to the points deduction (unless you have forgotten) and we are now in a rebuild phase. Patients will be required. 

On paper we are a bigger club than we are in, however all these fans who say we are the richest club in the league say so without any proof what so ever. Only the owner and his accountant will know the truth.

We have been placed in this situation due to piss poor management in the past. We now have to manage the club and our expectations 

12 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

True. However the only reason we are in league one is down to the points deduction (unless you have forgotten) and we are now in a rebuild phase. Patients will be required. 

On paper we are a bigger club than we are in, however all these fans who say we are the richest club in the league say so without any proof what so ever. Only the owner and his accountant will know the truth.

We have been placed in this situation due to piss poor management in the past. We now have to manage the club and our expectations 

The points deduction was a possible one year sentence in Tier 3 . Not getting a result at Shef Wed on the last day meant a second year. But I do do agree about the “Piss Poor Management”, however there can’t be many clubs in our League with players on £500,000 a year.

3 hours ago, jono said:

We’ll, given that the manager has a 4 year contract with the aim of being in the championship by the time it is concluded, I would suggest to you, as only just over a year has passed, then it IS an option. 

Alright Facty McFactface. You just had to spoil it, didn't ya! 😋

4 hours ago, jono said:

We’ll, given that the manager has a 4 year contract with the aim of being in the championship by the time it is concluded, I would suggest to you, as only just over a year has passed, then it IS an option. 

That’s not true though, is it?

The aim was to be established in the Championship by the time it is concluded. I’d argue it’ll take 2 years to re-establish ourselves in the Championship once we get there. Therefore, promotion this year is a must to achieve that.

21 minutes ago, Gritstone Tup said:

We’re within touching distance of the play offs not cut adrift at the bottom. We need perspective!

But arguably playing the worst standard of football of a Derby team ever…

I wouldn’t mind the league position if there was a positive direction that the team looked like it was going in, but it doesn’t look like there is a grand plan or philosophy under Warne? 

Edited by Mckram

5 minutes ago, Gritstone Tup said:

Clowes relationship with DCFC isn’t a straight forward one though. A reluctant owner who possibly has no intention of losing any money, whether he’s waiting for the embargo to end before making the club available I wouldn’t know but it wouldn’t surprise me.

What embargo? We're no longer any restrictions.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

We’ve never finished in a lower position than we currently find ourselves in.

Think it’s you who needs some perspective…

We’ve not finished a season below where we are now but, as others have said, the season hasn’t ended yet. If you suspect this is the lowest we’ve ever been in the league then, according to Football.co.uk, during the 84/85 season we were sunk as low as 15th (after 16 games). We finished 7th that season. It remains to be seen where we’ll finish this time.

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He probably more means the clutches of P&S.

The final year drops off at the end of this year I believe.

Championship clubs are always must follow P&S financial rules, which are rolling 3 year periods (4 years for periods containing the Covid seasons).

L1 and L2 clubs are under SCMP financial rules, which are in line with club accounting periods (single year only).

39 minutes ago, Turnstile said:

I thought the EFL were still controlling our finances via their business plan ?

David Clowes' business plan. The details of which the EFL were happy with.

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

That’s not true though, is it?

The aim was to be established in the Championship by the time it is concluded. I’d argue it’ll take 2 years to re-establish ourselves in the Championship once we get there. Therefore, promotion this year is a must to achieve 

Surely it means we should be mid table or thereabouts in the championship by September 2026. Would that be ok ?
The definition of “established” is somewhat loose isn’t it ? especially as he has been in post for just 14 months out of 48 

personally I think he will be under pressure from the start of nest season and more so if he doesn’t get a play off place this year. But as far as I am concerned he gets this season free. Only then will I start to question. One thing for sure I don’t want another manager for at least 12 months. It would be appalling impatience and stupidity to want to shuffle things yet again. (IMO of course !) 🤪

6 minutes ago, jono said:

Surely it means we should be mid table or thereabouts in the championship by September 2026. Would that be ok ?
The definition of “established” is somewhat loose isn’t it ? especially as he has been in post for just 14 months out of 48 

personally I think he will be under pressure from the start of nest season and more so if he doesn’t get a play off place this year. But as far as I am concerned he gets this season free. Only then will I start to question. One thing for sure I don’t want another manager for at least 12 months. It would be appalling impatience and stupidity to want to shuffle things yet again. (IMO of course !) 🤪

Tend to agree that this season is another 'free hit' for Warne. Mid table or just outside the play offs will suffice from the owners perspective. We will probably see much the same of the pattern so far. Lose a few games and scrape the odd draw - fans showing signs of discontent - then the odd win (like the Northampton game) to settle things - lose a few - win a couple    etc etc.  

We're under a business plan until next summer, some adjustments did happen this summer, what they were I don't know. 

David Clowes is a reluctant owner, he's wealthy but not mega, he ain't splashin cash or sacking managers. Those who think he should sack n splash need a reality check. There's many of us fans who witnessed utter rubbish in the early eighties when I'm guessing most who write so much negative comments were not even born, get a grip get behind Warne and the lads and we may just get were we want to be this season, otherwise stay at home. 

Two seasons ago everyone pulled together hoping for the miracle to happen, it don't take long for the feel good factor to go, be pleased you have a team because had David Clowes not stepped in think who you may have been watching. 

4 hours ago, Mckram said:

I wouldn’t mind the league position if there was a positive direction that the team looked like it was going in, but it doesn’t look like there is a grand plan or philosophy under Warne? 

@The_Sheriff @Motley intrigued to know why you acted angrily to this post?

Is it that you feel this isn’t the worst Derby team or that you feel Warne has moved us forward? If it’s the latter then what aspects of the club do you feel have moved forward since he took over? 

4 hours ago, Mckram said:

Seen alot worse football played by Derby, Docs teams of the late 70s, Addison early 80s god dam awful, and the 11 points season in the prem, losing at home by 5,6 and 7, so deffo not the worse at all, loads on here hated Nigel Clough teams, I did not, loads hated Rowett and Clement on here I did not, it goes on and on for some, lets support and back our great football club, we have been through alot worse as a club, we will bounce back, have a little bit of faith. Once A Ram Always A Ram.