After administration how long did you think it would take

Curtains

Just now, Curtains said:

We didn’t sign them though mate since administration .They came through the academy and were already at Derby.

My point is who have we signed that Championship clubs either wanted to retain or are Championship quality 

Why is that important?

We have those 2 at least who are wanted by championship clubs ergo are of championship quality?

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

Why is that important?

We have those 2 at least who are wanted by championship clubs ergo are of championship quality?

My point is although the squad is getting stronger it’s still limited due to EFL restrictions after administration.

I am amazed we are In as good as a place as we are now .

44 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We could pay fees this season, Warne chose not to so far.

Hmmm, not strictly speaking true – we’re in the second year of restrictions after exiting administration – granted it’s our business plan, but it still had to be approved by the EFL, hence the restriction.

PW, as he has stated, had a budget based on fees ( transfer & loan ) + wages, so it’s very much a case of balancing the books - so do you get someone in on a free + high wages, or pay a fee + lower wages ? Bear in mind, that we had deals in place for certain players that were scuppered through no fault of DCFC – think Klopp & Chansiri ??

Personally, I remember Stuart Webb turning up at the High Court with a brown paper bag full of fivers to stave off the threat of extinction – and David Clowes has done something similar, but with his own/families/companies money … and for that he deserves our respect & thanks.

For me, last year was about stabilizing the sinking ship, and this year is about consolidation – the academy was decimated, and long term planning was nigh on impossible ….. in football, I'm afraid there is no such thing as a quick fix.

Strong foundations, and Rome wasn’t built in a day, and all that malarkey - hence the 4 year objective.

1 hour ago, eddy779h34 said:

Its a fact of football until we can start to pay fees and offer better contracts than the opposition. we will stay where we are

I know people will say that the road to ruin, but thats how football works in every division. I know there are few exceptions to the rule, but generally money talks 

Well as far as I know we have not paid a transfer fee yet, and some say we are paying highish wages. I'm not sure thats rightly true 

So when we really have a go by getting in the right quality players. I can't see a change 

Time for a reality check...

We CAN pay fees, but our manager has so far opted to not pay anything upfront - Washington, Fornah and Wilson will all cost us if we get promoted and/or sell them for a fee ourselves.

Our wage bill is definitely top 6, highly likely top 3, and possibly even top of the whole list. Our top 5 earners will be earning more than Cheltenham's entire squad!

Just now, Herdwick Ram said:

Hmmm, not strictly speaking true – we’re in the second year of restrictions after exiting administration – granted it’s our business plan, but it still had to be approved by the EFL, hence the restriction.

PW, as he has stated, had a budget based on fees ( transfer & loan ) + wages, so it’s very much a case of balancing the books - so do you get someone in on a free + high wages, or pay a fee + lower wages ? Bear in mind, that we had deals in place for certain players that were scuppered through no fault of DCFC – think Klopp & Chansiri ??

Personally, I remember Stuart Webb turning up at the High Court with a brown paper bag full of fivers to stave off the threat of extinction – and David Clowes has done something similar, but with his own/families/companies money … and for that he deserves our respect & thanks.

For me, last year was about stabilizing the sinking ship, and this year is about consolidation – the academy was decimated, and long term planning was nigh on impossible ….. in football, I'm afraid there is no such thing as a quick fix.

Strong foundations, and Rome wasn’t built in a day, and all that malarkey - hence the 4 year objective.

Totally true. Warne preferred to spend the budget elsewhere.

He spent on a 3/5 at the back - how cheap do you think Bradley was! - and now has changed his mind. HIS choice.

I'd have been very disappointed not to be back in the Championship within 3 seasons.  Beyond that the academy probably 3-4 years.

What else is there to recover?  Challenging for promotion to the Prem - that depends on getting the right manager in, the right recruitment and likely an owner who will put money in.    

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

I’m going to say I don’t think our squad is Championship level yet. 

Can anyone name players we have signed that Championship clubs were falling all over to sign .

In fact we have players who couldn’t get contracts renewed in the Championship so why does anybody think we have the right to go up yet !

We would have been midtable in any normal season with Lawrence, a bunch of kids, some castoffs and a central defence pushing 110 years between them.  The championship is rubbish outside 3 or 4 clubs..  If we go up we'd stay up and finish comfortably mid table with a bit ofcash spent on a striker and a quick centre back. 

My expectations

Academy - 5 years to recover

First team

L1 promotion 2 years

Bottom half championship 1 year

Top half championship 1 year

Playoff contenders 

So 4-5 years to get to where we were in 2019 but hopefully in a much more stable financial position. 

For Warne to get a new contract beyond his current one, Derby would need to be a top half championship side showing potential to go for playoffs. IMO he needs promotion this year to keep his job, he then needs to get us comfortably away from a relegation battle next season in the championship. 

I want him to be the man to lead us forward and back to where we used to be. Am I convinced he will be? Jury is out. This season we’ve had an ok start, the last 3 performances have been of a reasonable standard with exception of Cheltenham first half, certainly the reaction to yesterday has been massively disproportionate, we’re in the mix for playoffs and I don’t see Pompey and Oxford maintaining their current pace. However he needs to start winning some home games soon or he could start to have problems.

12 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We would have been midtable in any normal season with Lawrence, a bunch of kids, some castoffs and a central defence pushing 110 years between them.  The championship is rubbish outside 3 or 4 clubs..  If we go up we'd stay up and finish comfortably mid table with a bit ofcash spent on a striker and a quick centre back. 

If the Championship is rubbish bar 3/4 teams , how would you rate League 1  ? Appalling ? Pathetic ? Dire? Cheltenham are the worst team to ever face DCFC in a league game . Let’s try and rise above mid table  ASAP.

How do you define recover?

Best way to look at it I think is through the Clough years post the prem season. It probably took 3 years for Clough to bring in what you would consider his real ‘first choice’ targets and shape the side how he wanted to see it. After that it still took another 2 to shape those players in a settled system and could have taken another season before his sacking before we’d have seen them be a top side in the champ. 

So when you consider being on budgets and the market, Derby at the moment maybe not being a players first choice etc etc, I think you can realistically look at 5 years? For the squad to have a shape and to have a proper identity, so they are ready to challenge in the league above. 

Others things to consider is how long Ipswich were in League One, Sunderland too. Pompey and Bolton still down trying to build. The talk of it not being an easy fix isn’t just lip service, there should be nothing telling you that this was going to be a one season in league one. If we rush this then you risk doing what Sheffield Wednesday have become this season, cue a likely relegation and having to rebuild still.

Good question @Curtains, hope others put some proper consideration in to it

Edited by TuffLuff

13 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

We can pay fees and we can offer better contracts to players than other clubs.

We can't do both.

Very few clubs at this level can. We made a choice to pay higher wages for fewer players. It's paid off with Nelson and Nymbe and Fornah, it hasn't paid off with Bradley and Elder 

We also employed a manager (after paying compensation) who's insight into the league should provide us with an advantage over teams who may be able to pay more than us. That's what good managers do.

On the overall balance, Warne is NOT a good manager, he's a very limited manage with one speciality - getting teams promoted from League One. He doesn't currently look capable of providing that 

We're currently making every excuse in the book to defend that manager and treating him as if he's got the hardest job in football as an excuse for his underperformance, and making out that him meeting the minimum requirements of the job he was brought in to do somehow proves that people who are unhappy with him are wrong to be so.

On the Rotherham fans' site their fans were asked if they would like him back – they are struggling again. The majority said no, especially critical of his coaching staff and the limited style of football played. There were some unpleasant comments when he did join us at the time, leaving just as the season started. They highlighted that one promotion was gifted to them and another they nearly blew a 14pt lead, and the players ran out of steam. They'd prefer he remains a legend and stays here. 

52 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

On the Rotherham fans' site their fans were asked if they would like him back – they are struggling again. The majority said no, especially critical of his coaching staff and the limited style of football played. There were some unpleasant comments when he did join us at the time, leaving just as the season started. They highlighted that one promotion was gifted to them and another they nearly blew a 14pt lead, and the players ran out of steam. They'd prefer he remains a legend and stays here. 

Which site is this !

This one 

“Apart from the awful run of injuries, our shape and system have been our biggest problem this season. I would also say it was Warnes biggest problem in the Championship “

https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38311146

Edited by Curtains
Added

16 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Which site is this !

This one 

“Apart from the awful run of injuries, our shape and system have been our biggest problem this season. I would also say it was Warnes biggest problem in the Championship “

https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38311146

https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38310358&p=40355624#post40355624

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

He took over at a difficult time and cleared out all the crap. He should be congratulated for the 3 promotions and Wembley trips. 
He’s got a style of play which is limited but had some success. 
Not sure if he will get you up he had loyalty from us that he won’t get from you. 
Would I have him back nope I think he’s limited to league 1 and one dimensional and the only employ good characters and I’m proud of the lads act was nauseating. Good luck.

At least he wished us good luck. 😄

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

At least he wished us good luck. 😄

Since the 18/9/2023 after Pompey draw when the question was asked by a Derby fan we have gone unbeaten with 8 points from 12 with 3 away games .

Rotherham are 6 points from 11 games and are 2nd bottom and will get relegated 

Edited by Curtains
Added

It seems to me that the points deductions/relegation/business plans are all designed to punish a club who go into administration, and to ensure that club cannot easily bounce back. Its a punishment, and designed to make other clubs/owners take heed.

So I expect us to be close but not quite there again this year, but hopefully able to really challenge next season. It's not an easy league to get out of, and people need to wake up and realise that, take the mediocre football on the chin, support the team, stop the whining and booing.

15 hours ago, eddy779h34 said:

Its a fact of football until we can start to pay fees and offer better contracts than the opposition. we will stay where we are

I know people will say that the road to ruin, but thats how football works in every division. I know there are few exceptions to the rule, but generally money talks 

Well as far as I know we have not paid a transfer fee yet, and some say we are paying highish wages. I'm not sure thats rightly true 

So when we really have a go by getting in the right quality players. I can't see a change 

We can offer better contracts than the vast majority of League One clubs. We have signed most of our players from the Championship. 

For an example, Nyambe, was hanging on for a championship club, so he won't be accepting £1k a week. 

Organisationally, 1 year, we seem to be fine on that track (relationship with the league, bills being paid, conducting routine business, gaining sponsorship etc etc)

Playing squad - really over achived last summer, did OK to "meh" this summer.

League position - I expected 5 years to become "upwards looking championship club" so not unduely worried at this point.

Academy - 5-8 years, total rebuild and time taken to start bringing through a generation. Don't get excited but let that work it's way over time.

I thought we'd return to the Championship within two seasons and that we'd see plenty of youth coming through into the first team squad and getting games.

Having realised the extent to which restrictions have hampered our rebuilding, and specifically the damage done to the academy, I've re-evaluated things a little. 

Promotion by the end of the 2024/25 season and the U21 & U18 squads to be competitive within the same timeframe is a fair expectation imo.