Derby v Cheltenham (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’ll keep saying it until my patience with Warne wears out, I’m not as far down that road as others, we’re not sinking down the table, we’re not quite where we need to be either but there’s a lot of time to go this season. I’m not clamouring for the performances others are, I don’t love Warne’s approach but I don’t hate it either.
If Warne doesn’t deliver what Clowes expects he’ll get sacked, and someone else gets their chance, I just don’t think calling for a sacking after an away draw is the most balanced approach to have. I’m aware lots disagree but I can have my opinion as much as others can. 

Stop speaking sense 

1 hour ago, sage said:

My mate who was at the game says the fans reaction to the players after the game was vitriolic. Lots of abuse for players and Warne. Not from everyone but from a large section.

He was quite shocked.

Heard similar from ones who go to every away game and there were rumblings at half time Tuesday at Blackpool - the sheer lack of actually looking like a decent football team is troubling if we are winning or not not winning.

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

...maybe it’s easier for me to feel calmer about it as I am removed a bit geographically and don’t have the financial investment some of you do as I’m not a ST holder.

That's an interesting point about geography. I've worked away from Derby for seven years or so and whilst I kept my season ticket it is a different experience. In all that time any colleagues who liked football either had a positive or neutral view of Derby County so the conversations were more generalised and didn't dwell on the last match.

Now that I'm back in Derby I pass the ground twice a day and there's a whole bundle of emotion related to that place from the Jim Smith years to the more recent ups and downs. When I speak to people about football it's mostly Derby fans wanting to have a moan about our reduced circumstances, current performances etc. or fans of local rivals who can't resist a wind up. So whilst I get being a little more detached I also can't help being quite angry with where Warne is taking us.

I don't see that Warne has the capacity to change or grow as a manager so whilst I think it's probable that we'll stumble upon a decent run of results at some point I think that will just delay the inevitable so we may as well change manager now.

29 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

I’m not saying he should be sacked but I am saying there’s enough for me to be concerned. 
It’s not this one result. As others have said, a one off result you can accept if other results and performances are up there. Nobody at City were calling for Pep’s head after they lost to Watford. Portsmouth drew at Cheltenham as well but other performances and results mean they can shrug it off as a bad day. 

We are having too many poor performances and average results which then changes the context of this result.

Also, and this is a personal opinion which people may or may not agree with but I find the idea of getting it wide, putting in crosses and focusing on set plays (get a bonus day off if you score from one) to be really basic football. And people might say that’s how you play in League 1 but I don’t buy it and it also means, as someone already put, that if you do go up what happens? Do you try and completely change your football and undo all the coaching you have done?

I’m not saying he should go now but the signs aren’t great

It’s simple. He’s an average div 1 manager. One pace. He’ll get us promoted is he’s lucky. He won’t if he’s not.  Problem is, we’re a big club in this division and we should have an above average manager. 

Well, charity is next to godliness, we’ve doubled the points total of the most needy team in the league it’s very heartening 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Happy for you. We're a midtable League 1 team.

And .. we know this roy

after what the clubs been through .. the tuenover , the upheaval , the stripping to the bones, the restrictions did u think it was going to be a plain sailing path straight back to the champioship

Yes it can happen and theres some examples but the majority of the time it takes teams seasons to regrow to their former selves 

18 months ago we were marching to even have a club or have u all forgotten ? 

3 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

And .. we know this roy

after what the clubs been through .. the tuenover , the upheaval , the stripping to the bones, the restrictions did u think it was going to be a plain sailing path straight back to the champioship

Yes it can happen and theres some examples but the majority of the time it takes teams seasons to regrow to their former selves 

18 months ago we were marching to even have a club or have u all forgotten ? 

Oh come one, it's been over a year and two transfer windows and we look worse than when he came in. We have a good budget and the ability to sign players for a fee. All the 'remember what happened' 'we're lucky to have a club' is loooong looong past. I remember the other times we were lucky to have a club, it happens, we got over it.

Edited by RoyMac5

We’ll be absolutely fine.

People were falling all over themselves after Blackpool away, but suddenly that’s ancient history?

By the end of October, I expect we’ll be in the top six, progressing well in the EFL Trophy, and in the middle of a solid unbeaten run. Is that a crisis after 15 games?

The amateur dramatics on here are something else.

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Heard similar from ones who go to every away game and there were rumblings at half time Tuesday at Blackpool - the sheer lack of actually looking like a decent football team is troubling if we are winning or not not winning.

What does a decent football team look like?

We had 62% possession today, 18 shots of which 8 were on target. 

First half performance was quite poor, second half was fine but didn't quite get what we deserved.

I'm becoming confused by what people actually want.

When we were supposedly playing hoofball, fans wanted us to control the ball more, today we've done that and created chances but people are still calling it poor?

Just now, Jourdan said:

We’ll be absolutely fine.

People were falling all over themselves after Blackpool away, but suddenly that’s ancient history?

By the end of October, I expect we’ll be in the top six, progressing well in the EFL Trophy, and in the middle of a solid unbeaten run. Is that a crisis after 15 games?

The amateur dramatics on here are something else.

You've backed the wrong horse. We won at Blackpool so no-one was allowed to say how poor we were first half, and how we did well on the break 2nd half but didn't dominate or play that well really.

34 minutes ago, chadlad said:

Wrong tactics and wrong team selection today. The result is 2 points dropped which may turn out to be the difference at the end of the season. Tactics and team selection are entirely down to the manager.

The team selection didn't look to be to bad with who we were playing, The tactics where PW said we needed to bypass our midfield against a team at the foot of the table takes some sinking in.

This division is poor...imo, With the squad we have we should be playing better against those teams who haven't got the resources we have, David beat Goliath once, Maybe Goliath was just to big for his boots and David wanted it more...he'd have taken a draw all day long. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I dont know, haven't really followed Washingtons career, just posting raw stats.

Is Sibley a goalscorer? His career stats wouldn't seem to indicate he is.

10 career goals with 3 of them coming in his second senior start.

So 7 goals in the subsequent 108 appearances.

It's actually 15 career goals and 6 assists in the equivalent to 75 90s.

When you ignore the games played at LB, LM, RM or even CF, those stats are roughly 12 goals and 4 assists in 41 90s.