Derby v Cheltenham (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

It was just bizarre to me that he himself believes Sibley is the best finisher at the club and in a game where we're creating a fair few chances but failing to take them, he leaves him on the bench. It's almost like he's not happy with Sibley for some reason .... maybe effort in training? Who knows, but if he's willing to give him a place on the bench, he should be one of the five players coming on to help get that winner.

Do you think he actually thinks that about Sibley?

We are now 4 managers into Sibleys Derby career and its followed a familiar pattern under all of them.

54 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It's not knee-jerk stuff when the performances have been poor for a majority of the season so far.

There will be people saying 'don't overreact', 'it's just one game', 'needs more time' if (more likely when) we are still in this position in January. Or April. Or next January come to that.

I'd love things to come good, but the idea that doubts about Warne are 'knee-jerk' with all the evidence we now have are ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

No, but just before the Rams TV coverage stopped Warne went across to the fans to applaud them, as he should, and there was a load of booing, then the broadcast stopped!

From Popside place: 

"by E10Ram2 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:02 pm

Very toxic to Warne when he came to clap the fans. Lot of boos and f*** off warne. Players get claps though"

I’m not saying he should be sacked but I am saying there’s enough for me to be concerned. 
It’s not this one result. As others have said, a one off result you can accept if other results and performances are up there. Nobody at City were calling for Pep’s head after they lost to Watford. Portsmouth drew at Cheltenham as well but other performances and results mean they can shrug it off as a bad day. 

We are having too many poor performances and average results which then changes the context of this result.

Also, and this is a personal opinion which people may or may not agree with but I find the idea of getting it wide, putting in crosses and focusing on set plays (get a bonus day off if you score from one) to be really basic football. And people might say that’s how you play in League 1 but I don’t buy it and it also means, as someone already put, that if you do go up what happens? Do you try and completely change your football and undo all the coaching you have done?

I’m not saying he should go now but the signs aren’t great

15 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

He got his tactics right at Blackpool, Hit them on the break and we score 3, Today the tactic of missing out on our midfield to play it wide is a worry, You do your homework on the opposition as you should, But to be concerned about a team that hadn't scored a goal all season and only 1 point from their games shows me PWs tactics are way short of where they should be.

I'm neither a Warne in or out and unless DCFC do something so catastrophic with results he's here until the seasons end, My concern is PW and tactics are as confusing to supporters who are trying to understand what he's doing and saying🤷‍♂️  

Wrong tactics and wrong team selection today. The result is 2 points dropped which may turn out to be the difference at the end of the season. Tactics and team selection are entirely down to the manager.

Just now, Charliegeorge1962 said:

This display against the poorest team in league 1 shows how mediocre we have become.

Too far off the top 2 now for automatic promotion.

Not even sure we are good enough for the play offs again.

Shame really, we have to settle for a mid table league 1 side now.

It's a bit sad.

It’s a lot sad

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

From Popside place: 

"by E10Ram2 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:02 pm

Very toxic to Warne when he came to clap the fans. Lot of boos and f*** off warne. Players get claps though"

No chance.  We had it from him in midweek that s*** football only gets him grief at Pride Park at half time, not full time away.  Unless he's talking bollox.  That would be unusual.

We should sack him , he makes Sam Allardyce look like a sophisticated French manager who has wine and baguette for lunch. Plays caveman football and when we beat teams it's mostly down to our players like Barkeuizen and Cashin for example being better than players who are not much above non league players in 1vs 1 situations and on the ball and players like Waghorn being a level above at this low level. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Do you think he actually thinks that about Sibley?

We are now 4 managers into Sibleys Derby career and its followed a familiar pattern under all of them.

I'm not sure why he'd tell fans Sibley is the best finisher in training if he didn't believe it.

I think that's a tad harsh on Sibley. He broke through to the first team under Cocu and finished the 19/20 season as a regular. He then began the next season still as a first team regular until an injury. By the time he was back up to fitness, Rooney was in charge and he certainly wasn't a big fan of Sibley. He was in and out during Roesnior's short spell, but was then very much a regular (albeit as a left back most of the time) during Warne's 1st season. Warne trusted him in an unfamiliar position for the majority of last season, but now seemingly isn't keen when he's got the chance to use him in his best role where he would excel. It's just puzzling.

6 minutes ago, Charliegeorge1962 said:

This display against the poorest team in league 1 shows how mediocre we have become.

Too far off the top 2 now for automatic promotion.

Not even sure we are good enough for the play offs again.

Shame really, we have to settle for a mid table league 1 side now.

It's a bit sad.

Does this performance look that horrific?

We played worse against top of the table got a point out of the game.

7 points (if we win our game in hand) is too much to make up in 33 games?! 😂

Screenshot_20231007-193720_Chrome.jpg

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

I'm not sure why he'd tell fans Sibley is the best finisher in training if he didn't believe it.

I think that's a tad harsh on Sibley. He broke through to the first team under Cocu and finished the 19/20 season as a regular. He then began the next season still as a first team regular until an injury. By the time he was back up to fitness, Rooney was in charge and he certainly wasn't a big fan of Sibley. He was in and out during Roesnior's short spell, but was then very much a regular (albeit as a left back most of the time) during Warne's 1st season. Warne trusted him in an unfamiliar position for the majority of last season, but now seemingly isn't keen when he's got the chance to use him in his best role where he would excel. It's just puzzling.

Yeah that's fair comment.

Personally, I think when Sibley has been given starts in attacking roles, he hasn't done enough to warrant being a regular starter.

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I'm not saying he isn't, but managers constantly say things to fans which is meant for players ears, either as a carrot or a stick.