Josh Vickers

Caerphilly Ram

Just got back home after staying in Carlisle, stunned to see Josh Vickers news, his wife Laura sounds like a beautiful courageous person who has been taken too young to a horrible disease, I want to send all my heartfelt sympathy to Josh and his family and wish him all the strength and courage in the dark days ahead , stay strong Josh

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Josh,

I have been lucky enough to have had my soulmate for almost 38 years now... over 26 of them as man & wife.

Literally nothing would fill me with more dread than having to spend just one solitarily minute without her as the biggest part of my life.  My soul, my heart, my every breath.

I have known personal tragedy of course, as have many of us, and indeed have bore witness to my own father suffering precisely what you are now going through yourself, albeit many years ago now.

But to imagine having to suffer a tragedy such as this myself, remains unthinkable.

My heart goes out to you, Josh, and I truly wish you nothing but eventual peace, happiness, and everlasting memories.
Stay strong, buddy, and may your beautiful wife sleep in eternal peace.

xxx

Wow mate, I was on the edge when I heard the news , your beautiful words tipped me over, lovely post mate

Ever since becoming a new Dad just under 4 months ago, my daughter was born 3 months premature and very poorly which led her to being in life support, and in NICU for the first 2 weeks of her life. She's at home now on oxygen after 2 months in hospital and 9 blood transfusions, but something happened to me during that which has made me look at life in a completely different perspective. 

Stories like this really get to me because life is so fragile and its only until we go through something do we see it as such. I have no words that possibly come close to making anything better other than I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that for all the talent/money/success that Josh has been gifted with, that this has happened. Unfortunately cancer makes no exceptions, it doesnt matter who you are, it can come for us all. 

All we can do, is hug and hold those closest to us for as long as we have them in our lives, and appreciate every second we have.

My condolences to the whole family 💔

Edited by SK47

My wife is a cancer survivor, now almost 4 years and she is doing brilliantly well. She was “lucky” to have had an early diagnosis and that meant her treatment saved her life, (surgery and chemo).It is sad someone so young wasn’t able to be saved, it must be absolutely horrible for him, and children ?, almost impossible to recover from emotionally. My heart goes out to him.

I lost my wife to cancer 4 years ago.

There are no words for the pain. No map out of the dark. You just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and by tiny degrees it eases. The gaps between episodes of despair get fractionally wider.

In my experience, masses of support from all around are 10% of the battle. 90% is having a reason to carry on. I had two teenagers. I suspect football may be vital for Josh in that regard.

Sending him love.

1 hour ago, WystonRam said:

My wife is a cancer survivor, now almost 4 years and she is doing brilliantly well. She was “lucky” to have had an early diagnosis and that meant her treatment saved her life, (surgery and chemo).It is sad someone so young wasn’t able to be saved, it must be absolutely horrible for him, and children ?, almost impossible to recover from emotionally. My heart goes out to him.

My wife is a breast cancer survivor as well (surgery, chemo and radio). Managed to keep her hair as well thanks to a cold cap which sounds a nightmare in itself. Seriously dented her self confidence and self esteem though.

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

My wife is a breast cancer survivor as well (surgery, chemo and radio). Managed to keep her hair as well thanks to a cold cap which sounds a nightmare in itself. Seriously dented her self confidence and self esteem though.

The mental scars are the hardest thing to deal with, and all we can do as partners is be there to help as long as we can. Not rhat it matters but my wife didn’t have breast cancer, but a more aggressive one and the fact she is here still is extremely fortunate. A lot don’t survive sadly.

My wife survived breast cancer in 2014. Having had the tumour removed at an early stage she was healthy but had to undergo chemotherapy and radiotherapy as preventative measures. The chemotherapy treatment was awful and dangerous because it challenged the immune system. We had a couple of instances where I had to get her to hospital quickly because her blood cell levels were falling. On one of them, when her temperature had gone above normal, I phoned the hotline at the Royal at 4am and they told me to get here ASAP. We were there within 20 minutes and all ended well but later that day the oncologist told me that if we hadn't arrived so quickly she wouldn't have survived the next thirty minutes. It was the biggest wakeup call you could imagine to highlight the fine margins we were dealing with.

Josh's story indicates that he and his wife never had the luxury of defying those fine margins but he did all of the right things that were possible for his wife and him. Paul Warne, quite rightly, says that character is an important part in player recruitment for him. Josh has passed that test with flying colours. I'm sure we all wish him the best in recovering from this tragedy and hope the rest of his football career brings success and hopefully it's with Derby County.

What a man!

My wife passed away at the end of January from a very rare blood cancer. I cant describe the pain and heartache i feel every single day, and the massive void she has left in our lives will never be filled. I can understand exactly how you must be feeling at this moment, i too have been there,  so  make sure you tap into the help and support available to you from friends, family and those at DCFC. God bless you Josh and keep strong.

21 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Josh,

I have been lucky enough to have had my soulmate for almost 38 years now... over 26 of them as man & wife.

Literally nothing would fill me with more dread than having to spend just one solitarily minute without her as the biggest part of my life.  My soul, my heart, my every breath.

I have known personal tragedy of course, as have many of us, and indeed have bore witness to my own father suffering precisely what you are now going through yourself, albeit many years ago now.

But to imagine having to suffer a tragedy such as this myself, remains unthinkable.

My heart goes out to you, Josh, and I truly wish you nothing but eventual peace, happiness, and everlasting memories.

xxx

Josh,

I have been lucky enough to have had my soulmate for almost 38 years now... over 36 of them as man & wife.

xxx

Mucker, apologies for the plagiarism but your words are as good as anything I could come up with and all I had to do was change a 2 into a 3. Very well written, sir and, as the Dutch say "A good steal is better than a poor thought". I echo your sentiments, completely.

A message to you Josh,i am so very sorry for your loss, at this moment be strong my friend and we are all thinking of you

Horrible disease i to lost my mum when i was only 14 years old,then my partner was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago thankfully she has managed to pull through but every day is a timely reminder so i do know what you are going through,

My heart goes out to you and will also look forward to welcoming you back to the team when you are good and ready

Much Love 

I had an aggressive breast cancer with 7% chance of survival. Surgery, chemo, Radio were pretty horrendous and there were nights I hoped I didn’t wake up in the morning. My partner was wonderful throughout supported by my kids and wider family. I always felt it was much harder for them than for me emotionally. I didn’t have a choice but to get on with it while they had to deal with me and contemplate a future without me.

So, Josh, you have already fought a tremendous battle just being at your wife’s side through this but the aftermath will take even greater strength and fortitude. You will need support for a long time to come - I hope it’s there from family, colleagues and us who love the club, and by extension, you.