One year of Paul Warne

RoyMac5

I think in future there'll be a Mel Gibson film about this. "The passion of @Millenniumram"

For my part, not a disaster but not what was hoped for either.

I still want us to be better at whatever we're doing. If we're going to be a grind them down team, or a lump it long team, just be good at being that.

Ultimately, we've got to good enough to get out of league 1, so that means being good at league 1 level football.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

27 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think in future there'll be a Mel Gibson film about this. "The passion of @Millenniumram"

For my part, not a disaster but not what was hoped for either. I still want us to be better at whatever we're doing. If we're going to be a grind them down team, or a lump it long team, just be good at being that.

Ultimately, we've got to good enough to get out of league 1, so that means being good at league 1 level football.

I'm not convinced there is a 'league 1 level' type of football. The major difference is the consistency of the style of play, and excellence at it. Indeed I think that the football we've seen played over more than a season is of a decent standard not to be stereo-typed in any particular way. 

Edited by RoyMac5

Thought the appointment was a great one at the time and to this day he seems like a genuinely nice bloke. 

Last season i was willing to let him off on missing out on play offs because of the turmoil of the summer and it not being his team. However, this season I've been very underwhelmed, outplayed against Bolton, Oxford and Portsmouth. Defeats against Wigan and a narrow win over Fleetwood.

Looks tactically weak, I'm not a fan of his recruitment (must be a good person etc.) and the football is pretty boring. Excuses for this season so far are injuries and tough start to our fixtures. If we can win the majority of our next 6 matches i'm sure things will look slightly better. 

The mood around the club with him isn't great. A third want him out, a third are on the fence and the other third are still with him but i think they're only with him because they 'don't want to keep changing managers' and 'coming back from admin will be a long process' as opposed to being happy with what's happening on the pitch.

PW is on a long contract so some are speculating that DC can't afford to get rid. Sad situation if true. 

I'm not sure of the way forward, personally I don't think we'll go up this season with him in charge and wouldn't mind seeing him get the chop. But as i say he seems like a nice man so if he was to turn it around i'd be more than happy about it. 

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm not convinced there is a 'league 1 level' type of football. The major difference is the consistency of the style of play, and excellence at it. Indeed I think that the football we've seen played over more than a season is of a decent standard not to be stereo-typed in any particular way. 

That's a fair point - it's all relative and the consistency is probably a key point between football in different divisions, so for example, championship teams more consistently make better decisions with the ball and execute them better than League 1 teams, but not as well as premier League teams (is thet what you were getting at?)

48 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

That's a fair point - it's all relative and the consistency is probably a key point between football in different divisions, so for example, championship teams more consistently make better decisions with the ball and execute them better than League 1 teams, but not as well as premier League teams (is that what you were getting at?)

I think so. I mean style of play doesn't seem that different overall. The really tedious bits about the division last season were officiating standards and time-wasting, and whatever some think I felt that was overall the same for all ie very average. I think when you see a cup game and the lower league team beats to higher league, why don't they do it all the time? The players lack the ability to be at that level consistently. Well I think so, but it's only a feeling. 

Anyway, a whole year...

4 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

End of term report, 6/10, room for improvement 🤔

I think 6/10 is generous, assuming 6/10 is on par and meeting expectations.

Aside from failing to reach the playoffs, I don’t think Warne has improved any of our current players while the style of football has been poor.

His record, so far, isn’t meeting expectations. Though I wouldn’t call it a disaster.

5/10 for me.