One year of Paul Warne

RoyMac5

Let’s start with the pros, as it’s only fair: He’s an intelligent tactician and theoretically astute. He can talk a good game, clearly has a good understanding of the game, feel even though he’s said previously he’s not a student of the game that he understands it very well. I see him as man-manager, emotionally intelligent, albeit not to everyone’s cup of tea (but who is). 

cons, for me, as a tactician he sees players on the pitch as pieces on a chest board rather than players looking to develop. He will help players gauge an understanding of the game, evidently he likes to make sure his players are aware and they obviously do their home work. I don’t see him as a technical coach, like McClaren and Cocu, more-so a fitness, psychological coach and that’s where he feels comfortable. It makes his quite stubborn, at times, we’ve all seen that with formations this season. I also feel that he has struggled with the size of the club and the weight of expectation, he’s almost played it off but incorrectly at times. Lastly, in contrast with the above, I believe he is incredibly aware tactically of what he wants to do and how to be successful - I’m just not quite sure he knows how to achieve it with the recruitment required. What he wants, how we recruited were at odds - clearly there was someone compensating so I won’t hammer him as ultimately it falls to the recruitment staff to find the very best players available to us. If he was dead set on three CBs then he needed to add speed and lateral quickness to the wide CBs but instead signed Nelson and Bradley. Doesn’t add up. 

Overall, 5/10, the club isn’t really better or worse off. We will get into the playoffs, I’m sure, but without significant improvement it’s a wasted ticket. Philosophically, he sees the game in a lot of ways different to me, but a lot of people do, but it’s the reason why I’m not right behind him currently - like I was McClaren and Cocu. 

18 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's pretty sad when you read the responses to the Twitter feed and you can pin the forum members on here from the negative ones 

Despite being one of his biggest critics on here I have to admit I’m not a fan of slating him to the clubs admin on a Twitter post. 

I think Paul Warne is doing a decent job under the circumstances, Derby County is a huge job at the best of times , but taking it on so soon after nearly losing the club was extremely difficult, I am seeing shoots of recovery and hopefully he will be able to add a couple more pieces to the jigsaw in January, the club is slowly reawakening again , let’s give the manager and his players all our support

I've been wavering for weeks, but now I'm fully Warne out. The longer he stays at the club, the more he will damage it.

This is a results business and the bottom line is that results, for this level, too poor. One win in the first six home games in League One. If he were delivering results, then everything else would have to be forgiven. He's not, so he deserves to go.

The recruitment has been very poor - I do not believe Warne is of the calibre we need to attract better players. In addition the development and use of players is all wrong. Clowes is boldly continuing to invest in the Academy. Warne couldn't care less. The football from the Academy is (thankfully) different from the first team, but there is no route to develop players from the current academy crop to the first team.

The first team philosophy is one of creating chaos and hoping we benefit more from it than our opponents. At this level, with our financial power, we should be controlling and dominating games. Warne picks the wrong players and sets us up incredibly defensively. And plays unimaginatively. It's all just get it wide quickly and in the box quickly - no threat through the middle, and no midfield control. And he lacks the tactical nous to react and change games as he should.

He seems a nice guy. It's disappointing, but he's clearly not good enough to be the manager of our club. Surely Clowes sees it? How long until he pulls the trigger? Surely not much longer.

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

We can't afford to get rid of him. The sensible thing would be to wait for him to get us promoted (either this or next season) and as soon as he does hand him his p45 and get him gone. 

Of course we can. If we can afford to pay him we can afford to sack him, we just have to move some of the budget around.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Of course we can. If we can afford to pay him we can afford to sack him, we just have to move some of the budget around.

If we do, it wouldn't surprise me if it cripples us for a season. I think Warne could get us promoted next season or even this season if we scrape into the playoffs but he's clearly not fit to manage in the division above. 

9 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

If we do, it wouldn't surprise me if it cripples us for a season. I think Warne could get us promoted next season or even this season if we scrape into the playoffs but he's clearly not fit to manage in the division above. 

Why? How much are we paying him? I don't think so. More than likely is Clowes values stability over substance. He doesn't care about the style of football and poor tactics and ordinary recruitment, and he still thinks Warne will scrape us up.

19 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not as simple as that.  If he is sacked tomorrow, we’ve got to find the money to pay up the remaining 3 years of his contract, plus his coaches.  Then, depending who we appoint, we may have to pay compensation for a new manager, and maybe their coaches.  Than all of their wages.  You could argue a new manager and staff wages replace PW.  But does 1 lot of compensation come from, never mind 2?  Unless we use money from player sales?

1 minute ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Not as simple as that.  If he is sacked tomorrow, we’ve got to find the money to pay up the remaining 3 years of his contract, plus his coaches.  Then, depending who we appoint, we may have to pay compensation for a new manager, and maybe their coaches.  Than all of their wages.  You could argue a new manager and staff wages replace PW.  But does 1 lot of compensation come from, never mind 2?  Unless we use money from player sales?

Have we?

No-one really knows what 'get out' clauses might be in his contract. Plus why would we have to pay it up? No-one pays for players up front do they? Compensation - Warnock is out of work, there'll be others too.

On 22/09/2023 at 22:27, Foreveram said:

Yep just six points from the top with a game in hand.

Eight points from the top now. It's getting harder by the week unfortunately.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Have we?

No-one really knows what 'get out' clauses might be in his contract. Plus why would we have to pay it up? No-one pays for players up front do they? Compensation - Warnock is out of work, there'll be others too.

No-one knows, but they’ll be something.  Of course we’ll have to pay it up, or at least a proportion of it.  Even if it’s half, it’ll still be a considerable amount.  And if we don’t pay it in one go, you’re stopping him taking another job as he’d effectively be on gardening leave.