One year of Paul Warne

RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

No was just scrolling through the responses seeing as you did post the Twitter article in the first place. 

Weird thing to advise me not to look at an article you posted to start this thread. 

I didn't advise you to do anything. I said it was sad you spent your time on Twitter figuring out who posted on here.

Just now, MarsdenRam said:

Get used to Warne and Warneball, Clowes signed him for 4 years knowing what he was getting. 

When he was signed there was a quote that said words to the effect of, Warne was adaptable and was happy with the (last seasons) squad, is that true? Warne also has admitted failure last season. Clowes is running a business these things have to be taken into account vs the contract length.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I didn't advise you to do anything. I said it was sad you spent your time on Twitter figuring out who posted on here.

No I spent time reading the Twitter article you posted. 

And from some of the replies it was immediately obvious whom the person was on here. Took about a minute of my time. 

Pretty sad like I said. 

I think the year has been a learning curve for everyone really.

The club thought they were getting something closer to the finished article with Warne and I think underestimated the difference in managing Rotherham and managing Derby County. Not in terms of expectations or even the thought of Derby being the bigger club, but I think it’s fair to assume that at Rotherham he could get away with a lot and do everything how he wanted to do it. The chairman there essentially allowed him to be Paul Warne unfiltered. At Derby, it’s all a bit more intense and everything you do is going to get scrutinised by thousands of fans every single day. It’s a different culture and it’s still taking time to settle into the culture in Derby for Warne. It’s also difficult for those coming in cold to what Derby is like as place, hence why Mac, Simmo and Steele did well and others struggled. You have to embrace being part of a footballing city/county and understand what the club means to the people here. 

Warne is learning he can’t be as stubborn in his approach and just because he likes 3-5-2 it doesn’t mean that’s going to work and you need to be flexible in your approach. He obviously has to bring his league 1 nous into the club but he needs to apply it to the club rather than going for something that doesn’t exactly suit because he likes how it worked at Rotherham. That stubbornness doesn’t mean he’s out of his depth but I think he has, and has admitted to being, naive on a few things and I hope it means he’s going to be more flexible in his approach. 

Also the fans* are still learning about this league and what is the best approach. We need to accept we aren’t going to steamroll every club in this division and sit top of the league after 7 games. This league will always be a slog and there are always going to be a section that think we are too good for this league (news flash, we aren’t), but we need to be reasonable too and the reaction to games like Saturday was far over the top to what was necessary. I get dropping points in the last minute is frustrating, but I really don’t get the Warne out stuff like this is the worst football you’ve seemingly ever watched and you can see no ways it can improve. Quite a bit of what I read was embarrassing to be honest, those posters trying to be negative as they think it’s their character or fit a bit of attention. It makes the forum a hard read to everyone else, culminating in a thread proposing a ‘Paul Warne free day’ coincidentally after we win a cup game and played quite well. Think I can confidently say no one will propose that in the days after a defeat? Also it’s worth considering quite a few things happened this past week that we’re worthy of discussion but barely mentioned or lost within all the threads about Paul Warne. 

I think there’s a section who think Derby County are better than Paul Warne, or that we haven’t quite got what we thought we’d get with Warne in charge. At times this year it has been bad or disappointing, but what I think is important is that there is progress being made steadily in all directions. I think the groundwork has been laid now, a good preseason, hopefully we are shaking off the niggly injuries and finding a pattern of play.  We need to see the team push on now and start producing some dominant performances.

The club have accepted that this is a project, Warne is hopefully learning from mistakes that have been made and I think the fans need to learn to manage their own expectations. We’ve been here before in the championship when we can’t help losing our collective minds when a result doesn’t go our way and put pressure on the players and manager to the point it all falls apart. Maybe some fans need to accept that this is a project too and see what progress is made by January.

*I’m talking mainly about online fans, I think the general mood is a lot more realistic to what we see on Twitter and the more extreme sides on here.

19 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think 6/10 is generous, assuming 6/10 is on par and meeting expectations.

Aside from failing to reach the playoffs, I don’t think Warne has improved any of our current players while the style of football has been poor.

His record, so far, isn’t meeting expectations. Though I wouldn’t call it a disaster.

5/10 for me.

6/10 is not great and definitely a need for improvement 😊

Just now, TuffLuff said:

The club thought they were getting something closer to the finished article with Warne and I think underestimated the difference in managing Rotherham and managing Derby County. Not in terms of expectations or even the thought of Derby being the bigger club, but I think it’s fair to assume that at Rotherham he could get away with a lot and do everything how he wanted to do it. The chairman there essentially allowed him to be Paul Warne unfiltered. At Derby, it’s all a bit more intense and everything you do is going to get scrutinised by thousands of fans every single day. It’s a different culture and it’s still taking time to settle into the culture in Derby for Warne. It’s also difficult for those coming in cold to what Derby is like as place, hence why Mac, Simmo and Steele did well and others struggled. You have to embrace being part of a footballing city/county and understand what the club means to the people here. 

Warne is learning he can’t be as stubborn in his approach and just because he likes 3-5-2 it doesn’t mean that’s going to work and you need to be flexible in your approach. He obviously has to bring his league 1 nous into the club but he needs to apply it to the club rather than going for something that doesn’t exactly suit because he likes how it worked at Rotherham. That stubbornness doesn’t mean he’s out of his depth but I think he has, and has admitted to being, naive on a few things and I hope it means he’s going to be more flexible in his approach. 

Also the fans* are still learning about this league and what is the best approach. We need to accept we aren’t going to steamroll every club in this division and sit top of the league after 7 games. This league will always be a slog and there are always going to be a section that think we are too good for this league (news flash, we aren’t), but we need to be reasonable too and the reaction to games like Saturday was far over the top to what was necessary. I get dropping points in the last minute is frustrating, but I really don’t get the Warne out stuff like this is the worst football you’ve seemingly ever watched and you can see no ways it can improve. Quite a bit of what I read was embarrassing to be honest, those posters trying to be negative as they think it’s their character or fit a bit of attention. It makes the forum a hard read to everyone else, culminating in a thread proposing a ‘Paul Warne free day’ coincidentally after we win a cup game and played quite well. Think I can confidently say no one will propose that in the days after a defeat? Also it’s worth considering quite a few things happened this past week that we’re worthy of discussion but barely mentioned or lost within all the threads about Paul Warne. 

I think there’s a section who think Derby County are better than Paul Warne, or that we haven’t quite got what we thought we’d get with Warne in charge. At times this year it has been bad or disappointing, but what I think is important is that there is progress being made steadily in all directions. I think the groundwork has been laid now, a good preseason, hopefully we are shaking off the niggly injuries and finding a pattern of play.  We need to see the team push on now and start producing some dominant performances.

The club have accepted that this is a project, Warne is hopefully learning from mistakes that have been made and I think the fans need to learn to manage their own expectations. We’ve been here before in the championship when we can’t help losing our collective minds when a result doesn’t go our way and put pressure on the players and manager to the point it all falls apart. Maybe some fans need to accept that this is a project too and see what progress is made by January.

*I’m talking mainly about online fans, I think the general mood is a lot more realistic to what we see on Twitter and the more extreme sides on here.

But what do you REALLY think 😉

What I have liked about Paul's first year here is a team that gets the ball forwards quicker instead of going so slowly that the opposition fall asleep so we can sneak an attack in.

And that’s about it, really. The massive reaction to last Saturday's guff was Derby County putting in a really poor away performance in at Pride Park. We could have modified and adopted Paulo Wanchope’s surname and called ourselves Derby Oneshot!

Here’s hoping that the turgid stuff being served up is because of a really bad crop of injuries, which we do seem to go for at key points, which has meant Paul has been forced to use the formations on display.

I’ve mor convinced myself on this, but I actually want to hope for the best!

I think we really need a thread where we could discuss how he's doing as manager.

It being a year just gives it a whole new context and setting in order for fans to come to some kind of overall analysis of him. Really does concentrate the mind and make you rethink how to judge him.

I would just hate it to become another cynical opportunity to rehash the same arguments by the same people.....

4 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

One of the most balanced and reasoned posts I’ve ever read on here.

Well Done Congrats GIF by America's Got Talent