Derby v Carlisle (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

I heard you like polls  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

I'll be quite honest, We had a re-set last season, We had a re-set this season...and wait for it...there'll be another re-set next season, God knows how many players are out of contract...6-7-8🤷‍♂️trying to get a team together is easy enough I guess...but getting a team together to play attractive entertaining football is a real tough ask. 

That’s the problem, even if we have the money to buy the players can we make a team. We have learnt that even moderately expensive players don’t necessarily make a promotion winning team.

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Beat Cambridge and Blackpool in our next two games and I think confidence will be soaring. Not only will we have have taken 19 points from 10 games (certainly top four form), we would have beaten two promotion rivals away (Posh and Blackpool).

It’s do-able. Time to be positive. 

This League is garbage. There are no standouts this season. 

Absolutely, well said. But what happened to your thoughts that Warne doesn’t understand how to beat the higher rated sides. Has this theory been revised on the basis of new information ? 😎

11 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

You’re conveniently leaving out Ipswich right now, and Sunderland from the season before. Both of which didn’t play attractive football but are excelling in the championship right now 

Both did play good football. Ipswich’s wins over Derby last season were so one-sided.

2 minutes ago, jono said:

Absolutely, well said. But what happened to your thoughts that Warne doesn’t understand how to beat the higher rated sides. Has this theory been revised on the basis of new information ? 😎

Not really. We beat Posh in a shootout, but lost to Wigan, Oxford and Bolton while only drawing with Pompey.

One win in five is no bueno.

So here are some measured comments - unusual for me, I know! The first 20 ro so minutes, it was a reasonable watch. Nothing special happening, fairly even game but Derby in pretty good control. Then  the video feed disappeared, so I missed the goal, and Carlisle's period of pressure, and by the time it came back on screen, the match had changed. Apparently Simmo made a tactical switch, and suddenly they were back in the game, apart from being behind. Rumour has it that he smuggled a piece of paper out to each Derby player with the message "From now on, boot it as high as you can, hood it long". Love from Warney.

And that was the story of the match for the rest of the 90 minutes, apart from three isolated occasions where we got the ball on the floor and put a few passes together. And each time we created an opening. Not that we did much with those openings, but never mind.

Nelson did pretty well, as did Fornah and the new guy does look good. But not much else. And no, the ref wasn't biased towards Derby. He was actually fairly anonymous, which is how it should be. A couple of bungled decisions, and a soft penalty to us.

I am glad we won, and glad that we did while playing so badly, but with the performances as they are at the moment I am not proud of Derby County. I had hoped after Tuesday that we had turned a corner, and for 20 minutes felt that we were continuing in that direction, especially when Paul said Tuesday was how he wanted us to play. But we were very quickly back to what caused the outcry last week.

Come on Paul. We can do much better than this.

17 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Oh for the days when we used to have to play particularly well to stand any chance of a win away from home.

Bring back Cocu/Rooney/Rosenior-ball, those were the days.

I have no problem playing badly every now and then and winning. 

Not all victories under McClaren were swashbuckling. I seem to recall one week where we registered three 1-0 wins in succession over Sheff Wed, Bournemouth and QPR in 2013/14 and none of them were pretty.

But it’s a complete cop out from the manager to say he’d take 20 1-0 wins playing crap, because it justifies playing crap.

Warne is a poor coach. Or his coaches are poor coaches. Playing the way he does requires the least amount of technical coaching. 

I just don’t see any long-term benefits playing this way. At some point Warne will have to adapt. 

I can be on board if Warne is just a stepping stone to getting out of League One and then we turn to somebody like Mowbray to progress.

But I’ve seen enough of Warne to know we have a poor coach on our hands and no long-term future with him (unless our goal is to remain a lower half Championship struggler).