Derby v Portsmouth Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

39 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

so your happy for one player to just carry the entire side? We have no structure, tactics, plan, style, identity. What happens when that one player can't play? 

We need a style of play, not another new player.

Especially not one that’s in his mid thirties, it’s part of the reason we are such a mess

Just a bang average game, really not sure what we hope to achieve. We don’t pass the ball but we also don’t seem to lump it forward either. Is all just about getting it forward quickly and running I think. Really forgettable and dull football. But still nearly won!

Big issue I have with warne is that I’m pretty sure 90% of managers could achieve this with the players we have. 

2 hours ago, jono said:

Missed it all, just moved house, too many boxes to un pack. But sounds like no one is happy. Still, a point against a top, inform side can’t be as bad as some of the reports I am reading on here mixed with a makeshift side from a squad riven with injuries to key players. .. Think we need some perspective don’t we ?

Yes we do but it really wasnt great at all. Didnt look like scoring from open play - was very predictable and dull 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

We were West Stand and I thought the Portsmouth fans were very loud all game.

I thought there were a small cohort of South Stand fans trying to respond but really two thirds of that Stand is as quiet as the rest of the ground. It's not the wall of sound it used to be.

We really miss that East Stand noise next to the away fans, too. Helped a lot when there was a big away crowd.

In fairness we had f*** all to cheer all game. 

First half was appalling. We were so defensive, so weak, and lacked any confidence. We were there for the taking, and it was absolutely embarrassing. We let Portsmouth run the game and made it their home fixture. We lacked any foot on the ball, any initiative, any inventiveness and anything beyond being compact and praying we didn't concede. 

The second half when Collins, Sibley and Bark came on we pushed about 10 yards further forward and actually looked dangerous. We got our goal and then as soon as we did we became a defensive unit and obviously conceded. I'm not sure when Warne will learn about this or change the f****** system to suit the players we do have. All I can say is i am f****** fed up week in week out of seeing the same s*** from this amateur. 

5 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

I’m starting to wonder whether reality is starting to hit for a few who have hung around once Clowes bought the club, fwiw this is mostly by those I’ve seen on social media and on here and I don’t think that is a 100% true perspective but I’ve kinda sensed this since the summer.

But what I mean is, the attendances rose around Mel’s era because we all drank the kool aid that we were close to a prem promotion. Those that come every once in a while wanted to experience that moment and got season tickets, it wasn’t happening but we slipped in the covid era before we saw a backlash. Once we could get back into the stadiums a siege mentality hit everyone because of our dire situation and I think those who might have backed out at that point felt ended up staying for that experience. We went to League One, and it felt like another chance to experience that promotion and it didn’t happen again last season. So I sense that there are there now people who are getting a bit fed, won’t accept the football, won’t accept Warne, think he’s out of his depth and whatever else they want to slang his way. For them I think because of his style and where he came from he’s an easy target (and what’s funny about that is he dropped a league to be here, how much can he out of his depth?). 

We are a work in progress, Rosenior scrambled a squad together but Clowes wanted to give his own man a chance to build something. They mostly worked with what they had last season and nearly stumbled over the finish line. The summer has seen Clowes really stamp his authority on his position and Warne has been able to shape the squad more into the squad he wants. We aren’t going to see overnight success and there’s 38 games to play.

There has to be some acceptance to where we are as a league one side, we are no better than that right now and it comes with inconsistencies. Again j have I sense that some fans think we are better than we are and ‘expect’ things the aren’t going to get. We aren’t going to play teams off the park and we aren’t going to win every game. My concerns is that we end up being a bit like Sheff Wed, think we are too good for this league, there will be a section that hate the manager, manager maybe scrapes through the play offs but then you aren’t really good enough for the champ (ignoring the nee manager/chairman stuff obvs). Is it worth being in that limbo, where you may end up spending money you don’t have to just survive in the champ, or just building a squad slowly and realise it’s going to be a slow progress and ignore everything else around us?

i also think we currently have a quite a few short term injuries that is a knock on effect of a tough pre season, im hoping that they are the type of injuries that we will shake off and in the next few weeks we will see the benefits of a tough pre season once that happens. We need to hit our stride soon though or else I think everyone may start to panic, but  I saw my signs of that stride today than I have done in the other 6 games. 

Our support is numbers is brilliant, but i sense a few thousand might end up missing out when Warne’s project starts to click!

(sorry didn’t mean to rant over your comment!)

This is all perfectly reasonable. Personally i've never been sold on the Warne project and want him out the club asap now. I can't see this 'project' clicking whatever the f*** it is and our football is mindless and horrible. I think Clowes made a major error in getting him in the first place tbh.

7 hours ago, Rambalin said:

Match poor

Performance from both sides poor

Derby's tactics hit it long and chase it...from the stoneage.

Referee once again excellent.

Sorry, after reading this I've had to log in for the first time in years. I'm seeing a few people saying ref was good etc, am I the only one who watched Marlon Pack control the ball with his forearm in the buildup to their goal?

Good for 99% but she ruined it completely by missing a blatant hand ball.

2 hours ago, DazaDunn said:

Sorry, after reading this I've had to log in for the first time in years. I'm seeing a few people saying ref was good etc, am I the only one who watched Marlon Pack control the ball with his forearm in the buildup to their goal?

Good for 99% but she ruined it completely by missing a blatant hand ball.

If this is the case then i would put it down to a refereeing mistake.......i thought she was brilliant, best ref by far for us this season

7 hours ago, jono said:

Missed it all, just moved house, too many boxes to un pack. But sounds like no one is happy. Still, a point against a top, inform side can’t be as bad as some of the reports I am reading on here mixed with a makeshift side from a squad riven with injuries to key players. .. Think we need some perspective don’t we ?

Perspective certainly needed. However, supporters can see that performances aren't good and the tactics /style of play far from convincing. We do have injured players, but most teams have similar problems. 

6 hours ago, S8TY said:

From what I’ve seen so far in L1 a half decent side would walk this division …Portsmouth aren’t great and so far no one has looked that great …including us!! This was Warnes big chance to shine this season and so far it’s been very poor 

I tend to agree and I don't expect there will be one or two teams dominant like last season. It's only seven or so games into the season, but Derby  aren't currently showing any signs of potential. Supporters will probably have to be patient and wait until next season to experience a Rotherham type promotion chasing team under Warne. 

10 hours ago, Justa said:

What ?!?! One of the best sets of fans I’ve ever heard !!!

Even when we scored they didn’t shut up !!

Good set of fans, best ever may be not. The exception being the first class idiot who jumped over the barrier on the south stand to throw a couple of missed punches , missed their equaliser and ended up in handcuffs.

That and the pen are the most memorable bit of action. It wasn't an easy watch, the match that is.

Amazing reading that people think things will change. Warne isn’t the right fit for Derby, glaringly obvious.

He’s a small club mentality manager and Max Bird and co returning from injury won’t change anything. As long as your his buddy and can have bantz yadda yadda yadda - it’s just rubbish man management.

This squad should be playing a lot better. Reminds me of the last days of Nigel Clough and then in came SMc and just took the same players to another level.

If we don’t get 6 points from our next two very winnable games, then questions need to be asked big time.

Lee Carsley would be a great fit IMO.

Edited by Diego