Derby v Portsmouth Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Well…I thought we were alright for the 7th game of the season? Thought the defensive players were robust and our best players. It’s much like, once you give players time together on the pitch then they form an understanding with those around them? Bradley slaters take note, these things take time. 

We were a bit disjointed in midfield and attacking but thought Smith had his best game in a while and Embleton looked pretty good.

We over rely on NML and when he’s not in the mood then…it falls apart. Barks and Sibley brought something a bit different, feel Sibley especially will be crucial in the coming weeks.

Heres a thing, right now could you name a cohesive 11 who actually look 100% fit and match fit? Think we are picking up a few frustrating injuries after a proper pre season but maybe once we battle through the next couple of weeks we might see ourselves at something like a match sharp matchday squad and can see us going on a run then.

Thought today overall gave us something to build on, mostly strong defensively aside their goal and that shot by the defender and thought we were trying to attack the right way. I’m more postive after today than I was coming out of games before the international break.

Frankly think some of you need to give your head a bit of a wobble.

You tell forum members to give there head a wobble but then basically say our managers tactics are to rely on one player to have a messi type game. Playing fornah as a 10 is sunday league management and playing a bac 3 when you don't have the squad. People will say that was a back 4 but could easily have been a back 3 with smith rcb. Should have brought NML off way earlier but didn't. Playing elder at wing is criminal or was he a LWB. Could have started bark's on the left and brought him off at 60. 

As dreadful as that was, I'll offer some caveats.

We have a lot of people out with Hourihane now added to that.

Barkhuizen, Embleton, Wilson and  Sibley aren't fit enough to start yet. NML has been halfway round the world, therefore our lack of creativity for the first hour wasn't a surprise.

I don't expect a dramatic improvement when more players are fit, but realistically you can only offer the final judgement on Warne this season until he has that opportunity.

I'm not a fan of this football and if it doesn't improve drastically over the next 4 games, I'm officially in the Warne Out camp.

1 minute ago, sage said:

Barkhuizen, Embleton, Wilson and  Sibley aren't fit enough to start yet. NML has been halfway round the world, therefore our lack of creativity for the first hour wasn't a surprise.

I don't expect a dramatic improvement when more players are fit, but realistically you can only offer the final judgement on Warne this season until he has that opportunity.

I'm not a fan of this football and if it doesn't improve drastically over the next 4 games, I'm officially in the Warne Out camp.

Sage even with them players back it will still be the old lump it forward and chase the ball that the football will pass most of these guys by. I'd rather we had lost today and at least been a bit entertained. Do you really want another 3 years watching this.  wouldn't mind if we hovering around the play offs in the championship like Rowett but this is league 1. 

27 minutes ago, Vyrdasm said:

Forsyth, nelson, wags (for trying) and wildsmith only ones to come out with any credit that game.

Rest are just so poor.

But I'm starting to blame the manager for most of that. He

He had his chance to bring in exciting technical, althletic players and then buys players like elder which don't fit the system he wants to play bizarre 

Agree these 4 played well but Korey Smith needs to be added to that list IMHO...

Waggy ran his socks off.

Edited by Sheff Ram

52 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Tight game against decent opposition. 

We actually created some decent opportunities to get at them, but our final ball/touch were really frustrating. Lots of simple passes going astray and sloppyness at times too. A bit route one at time but the quality of ball was the issue as much as the tactic itself.

Thing is we're not coached / set up tactically in a way which encourages good build up play and neat passing between players, so when we do end up in these positions we end up messing it up, because it's not natural to us.

McGoldrick papered over so many cracks in that regard and as much as I like Waghorn he's not in the imperious class and relies much more on the service to him (which is at times non-existent unde Warne) than McG did.

...and we've moved further away from the Rosenior/Warne hybrid to a a pure Warne style, which further limited the opportunities for a player to do what McG did 

Edited by Kokosnuss

Point was fair on balance. I thought they played a bit more football than us, but that's a low bar to clear.

My problem with the game was how little excitement there was. Drab, dull football. I know it's L1 but most of that squad have played Championship football...we must capable of much better than we're showing.

7 minutes ago, sage said:

I thought you'd only just come back from the Warne out camp?

2 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Sage even with them players back it will still be the old lump it forward and chase the ball that the football will pass most of these guys by. I'd rather we had lost today and at least been a bit entertained. Do you really want another 3 years watching this.  wouldn't mind if we hovering around the play offs in the championship like Rowett but this is league 1. 

Read my post again.

I'm not a Warne fan. I think his football is poor, especially this season.

I'm pointing out, he has some reasonable excuses today, so it can't be the final straw.

However there are very few straws left.

2 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

You tell forum members to give there head a wobble but then basically say our managers tactics are to rely on one player to have a messi type game. Playing fornah as a 10 is sunday league management and playing a bac 3 when you don't have the squad. People will say that was a back 4 but could easily have been a back 3 with smith rcb. Should have brought NML off way earlier but didn't. Playing elder at wing is criminal or was he a LWB. Could have started bark's on the left and brought him off at 60. 

No I didn’t, I said we over rely on him which I think is down to the players looking for him as an outlet. It sounds like John-Jules would’ve started today which probably would’ve given us another pace option but injury stopped that. Once Barks and Sibley are more match sharp I think we will see a difference on that front. My overall point is that we have picked up little nagging injuries early on, we don’t enough players at this stage who are match fit. The players who do look sharp played well today because they are forming partnerships around those players on the pitch, those that struggled were the ones who don’t seem sharp just yet. 

Wildsmith - nothing special 

smith - obviously better when moved into midfield 

Nelson - he is ok but he can’t pass the football 

Cashin - did ok with one blunder 

Forsyth - again probably our best defender 

Hourahan - injured and left the party 

Fornah - he’s done well to get a two year contract and lucky not to see red 

Elder - selected to play left midfield so not his fault 

NML - normally gets 60 mins apart from when in South America then we give him 70 

Washington - I thought he did ok with Waghorn 

Waghorn - as with Washington 

subs Embleton - nothing to get excited about 

Wilson - nothing much but not the best right back I have ever seen 

Sibley - bright spark for me as he ran with the ball and passed it to Derby players 

Barkhauzen - didn’t really get involved 

Collins - nice penalty 

our game plan was get the ball in behind where their full backs and run after it unless I missed something 

we totally did not deserve to win which we nearly did - you would have hoped to try to get the ball into their half in the last 10 minutes after we scored the penalty 

Again the referee was the best one we have seen this and last season.

21 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The amount of injuries we're now getting is insane as well.  What the hell are they doing in training, assault courses

because Warne is one of those managers who is obsessed with fitness. He should go and coach Mo Farah, I want to watch footballers not 10,000 metre runners 

1 minute ago, sage said:

I was in the Warne had 4 more games camp. I'm suggesting this is a bit of a free hit as we had no creative players fit

He's still 4 games away for me.

I'm not hopeful though.

Fair do's. You're as dear to me as Mrs VdM. I pay a similar amount of attention to both of you 👍

5 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Couldn’t believe how flat the atmosphere was outside and inside the ground. I don’t know if fans can take another 3 years of this , but I am not for Warne leaving. I am pinning my hopes on Sibley but wouldn’t say No to signing Lyle Taylor.

Don’t bank your hopes on Sibley playing, last season he scored two at Oxford then got 45 mins at home in the next game then not given any opportunity basically and similarly Barkhauzen was on a decent run of form and goals last season to be pulled out of the side for Dobbin