Corey Blackett-Taylor - Signed on Loan/Permanent in Summer

Stuniverse

4 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Is it just me that finds it crazy we will offer £300k when he will be free in the summer?

I can only assume we have a fee for Cashin or something already arranged for us to be throwing that money around on someone with 6 months left.

If we have sold anyone then it makes sense that it isn’t announced until we’ve done our business so asking prices don’t go up.

Is it crazy?

If we think there’ll be added competition for the player come the summer and we see him as a key piece of the puzzle, then of course we have to move swiftly.

If we go up to £500,000, this is obviously part of a longer term plan.

We’re looking at a player that can clearly be a difference maker at L1 level or he has the kind of attributes that could see him carry his upwards trajectory into the Championship.

Look at Burns and Chaplin at Ipswich and Whittaker at Plymouth, for instance. 

8 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Is it just me that finds it crazy we will offer £300k when he will be free in the summer?

IF (and it's a big 'if') he's a potential game changer and a player Warne wants, then Clowes has to decide how much he's prepared to pay to increase our chance of promotion.

There seems to be a clamour on here to get him signed, yet I'm not sure how many posters have actually seen him play  - I haven't or if I have he didn’t make that great an impression on me.

Even 500k is a no brainer for me. We're crying out for another winger. NML on one side, CBT on the other. There wouldn't be much better in this league.

Now we know that the bid wasn't today, but last week. Makes me think that we're close.

If they didn't want to sell him and we were miles apart on a fee, he would have played today. The fact he hasn't means we're close and they want to cash in now.

11 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Even 500k is a no brainer for me. We're crying out for another winger. NML on one side, CBT on the other. There wouldn't be much better in this league.

Now we know that the bid wasn't today, but last week. Makes me think that we're close.

If they didn't want to sell him and we were miles apart on a fee, he would have played today. The fact he hasn't means we're close and they want to cash in now.

It’s alright saying £500k is a no brainer but that’s based on what, a Championship transfer window 6 years ago?

That could be our entire budget, could even eat into the summer budget for all we know. Without knowing anything about all that, we just have to trust they know what budget we have and what value CBT would have to us. 

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

It’s alright saying £500k is a no brainer but that’s based on what, a Championship transfer window 6 years ago?

That could be our entire budget, could even eat into the summer budget for all we know. Without knowing anything about all that, we just have to trust they know what budget we have and what value CBT would have to us. 

Because we're a different club to 6 years ago. There isn't a chance Clowes would blow all our budget on one player. Not a chance.

Plus getting him in on a 3 year deal. 500k spread over 3 years isn't a lot. Even if he ends up going for free at the end. But at the very worst, Derby could break even.

3 minutes ago, Mckram said:

I can only assume we have a fee for Cashin or something already arranged for us to be throwing that money around on someone with 6 months left.

If we have sold anyone then it makes sense that it isn’t announced until we’ve done our business so asking prices don’t go up.

Not at all. I think it's barking. I'd like to understand the dynamics of it. If we agreed to sign him for free in the summer would his wages go up and burn any saving in fee? Would we get gazumped by someone else? Or are we so depserate for the re-inforcement now that it's worth the extra? 

23 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

But at the very worst, Derby could break even.

I disagree, at the very worst, he could be a 'Bielik, Flo Jo or Anya', costing us 500k transfer fee and around 500k per year wages for a player constantly injured or who doesn't perform. But then, that's no different to any other player, we should know by now, that there is no guarantee with any player that you'll get a return on him or even break even.

42 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Because we're a different club to 6 years ago. There isn't a chance Clowes would blow all our budget on one player. Not a chance.

Plus getting him in on a 3 year deal. 500k spread over 3 years isn't a lot. Even if he ends up going for free at the end. But at the very worst, Derby could break even.

I agree there is no chance Clowes would do that, but that’s at odds to what you’ve said. 

I don’t think alarm bells should be ringing if we are willing to spend £250-500k. Let’s face it, this will be in exceptional circumstances, not the norm.

CBT’s career is trending upwards and he has shown himself to be one of the most productive attacking players in the league over the last 18 months.

Another five months of good form and being available on a free could put him out of reach.

We can’t afford to spend millions on the likes of Mason-Clark, Poku or Collins, so taking advantage of CBT’s contract situation makes a lot of sense. Strike while we can.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

1 good player is better than 2 average players.

Charlton are just trying it on and whilst it's annoying, we can't really blame them. They're spending plenty, so it's logical to assume they'll look to recoup as best they can on any outgoing players. That said, I think he'd probably a £600-700K player if he had 2 years left on his deal anyway, so I think it's a fairly low-risk deal for us and he does look the type of player who would add something to the squad, so it's a deal I like personally.

As it is, there'll be a figure that's palatable to both clubs, I'm sure, it's just a shame we need to be wasting time haggling before arriving at it. Reading between the lines, the player is happy with the terms on offer, so his aims seem pretty clear and players do usually end up getting their own way in these instances. 

We shouldn't be held to ransom by Charlton. They need money for their purchases, and have tried to start a bidding war, but few clubs have a transfer kitty at our level. Plus the player wants to come to Derby. 

Walk away, move on to our other targets and have Charlton come running after us. 

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

We shouldn't be held to ransom by Charlton. They need money for their purchases, and have tried to start a bidding war, but few clubs have a transfer kitty at our level. Plus the player wants to come to Derby. 

Walk away, move on to our other targets and have Charlton come running after us. 

Are we taking it as said that they want 500k?

38 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It’s difficult to call, even if we have a £500k budget, would we want to put all our eggs on one basket? 

We could blow all our “transfer budget” on a player who gets injured in his second game and is out for the rest of the season, we are not Man City we can’t just go out and buy another player.

Its a big risk however you look at it, let’s hope the people who know all the facts \figures, and are conducting the negotiations, have done their research and will make the right call 🐏🐏🐏

If CBT wants to play for the Rams that must be point in our favour.👍🏻

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

55 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

You are by no means the first to make this point, and you certainly won't be the last. I'm intrigued as to what you base your opinion on.

We might need to show some patience with this one. Charlton wants more, but can they afford not to sell? 

Let's see what happens on the last day of January, they might accept an even lower offer than the current one.

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

You are by no means the first to make this point, and you certainly won't be the last. I'm intrigued as to what you base your opinion on.

According to Transfermarkt...I know...3 teams have spent fees in L1 this season. Barnsley, whose sales massively exceed expenditure, Bristol Rovers, and Charlton who have just podded the lad from WHU. I think the evidence is there.