Match Thread: (A) Peterborough United

Rampant

3 hours ago, Jram said:

Do people actually support Hundred franchises? That’s news to me 

I went through Newark/Nottingham on the train last weekend when they were playing and there were more cricket fans than when forest are plying at home! Notts station was packed with them 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

They didn’t “dominate” the second half I was watching. Yes, they may have had the better chances but did they look like scoring three goals especially as you say, their second goal was against the run of play? I thought our press kept them pinned down for large parts of the second 45 minutes and Thompson continued to prove a menace. If you’re going to say they had three or four great chances well that’s how football works. It’s very rare that teams score from pretty much every good chance.

it’s funny how folk see things differently but, over the course of the 90 minutes, I certainly wouldn’t say we were lucky.

This was the best pressing we have done all areas on by a long way. Top class. Made all the difference.

I think Fornah will make a great impact but question is who we drop to fit him in. Still not impressed with Hourihane’s overall impact. 

Tommo had an excellent game and after an awful first 10-15 mins the back three really hit it together. Rooney much better when he came closer to his player and Nelson again looked good in central defence. Does bring us back to the Bradley talking point though and whether it was a good signing.  

Anyway- a bizarre game in many ways but a great win which will boost team confidence immensely.

So happy for Waggs. Would like Wash to get a goal.

COYR

20 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

Very enjoyable day out. When we went 1 nil down early doors I thought it was going to be a long afternoon. Should never have doubted the lads.

Peterborough's stadium sadly wins the award for the worst stadium I have been to. Cobwebs and bird poo on the antiquated seats. Matched by the poor human toilet and 'hospitality' facilities, and general feel and appearance of the place. Is no surprise that the stadium owners are in receivership and it has the air of no money being spent on it and not looked after. Makes me very grateful for what we have at Pride Park.

2023-08-26 14.08.39.jpg

We arrived at the ground Main Stand in 22 degrees, full sunshine and NO refreshments open. Were told they would open at 2.55, an hour later.

I played merry hell with the stewards (who, to be fair  were just following instructions). There was a young lad at the front of the stand feeling faint, but no drinking water available. 

Anyway, I demanded they sorted it out immediately, told them it was illegal and I was reporting it to the papers. 

After about 20 minutes of harassing them they finally opened up. 

A ridiculous state of affairs and the sooner football starts treating away fans as paying customers, we might start behaving like them! 

Days like this make supporting this rabble a pleasure 👌

I think the new signings must have had an effect on the first XI as the level of intensity was superb from minute 1. Unlucky to go behind, Rooney chose the wrong man to track & left their left wing to pick out Clarke Harris from 10 inches. Thereafter, went at them with Washington & Waggy running at them with the ball & pressing hard when not. 

Suffice ro say the first 45 minutes were a thing of absolute beauty. My head hurt from the celebrating, loved every moment 🖤

A lot of fantastic performances & obviously Waggy takes it. I said to lad next to me before the game he's on for 25 this year, he's SO suited to this team & style of play. Three great goals & worked his backside off throughout. Big mention for Liam Thompson though...good grief, what a little player he's becoming. A tiger in front of his back 4 & a bone fide threat running into the final 3rd...the prospect of him & Fornah together is very exciting.

Back in Leeds now, few beers deep & 86 quid train ticket lighter cos of the strikes but with a silly grin on my face. Love you Derby 🖤

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

We arrived at the ground Main Stand in 22 degrees, full sunshine and NO refreshments open. Were told they would open at 2.55, an hour later.

I played merry hell with the stewards (who, to be fair  were just following instructions). There was a young lad at the front of the stand feeling faint, but no drinking water available. 

Anyway, I demanded they sorted it out immediately, told them it was illegal and I was reporting it to the papers. 

A ridiculous state of affairs and the sooner football starts treating away fans as paying customers, we might start behaving like them! 

Its such a terrible ground. Not fair on staff having to deal with it each week

41 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Sorry to hear your bad news. I'm glad the rams and your 60 minute trip to Belgium helped.

Thank you. 

He was a great big bear of a man, typical Cockney larger than life and twice as funny, the best sort of uncle a young man could have.

I never realised how much of a hero he was of mine, until today.

Saw the Waghorn goals on the highlights and they were better than I imagined, 1st was a great finish, 2nd was very instinctive and a real good strikers goal and 3rd was just pure class to curl in beautifully 1st time on his weaker right food into the corner. Can't remember him ever finishing with such quality when he was here 1st time round. 

5 hours ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

No coincidence that two of the better performances come at clubs with smaller pitches (Burton and PBoro). Makes closing down easier and reduces the space to close down. Makes a big difference.  I'd be taking the pitch in 5 yards at each side at PP.

That could be a very good point . 

Just now, Marriot Ram99 said:

Can't remember him ever finishing with such quality when he was here 1st time round. 

His confidence is flowing and you can really see it in his finishing. It's all instinctive. He's got that incredible strikers knack of just being in the right spot (scoring from Washington's shot the other week, and again today from NML) and everything is just clicking in to place for him.

You can see the lads love him too, and he's like a second captain in the way he interacts with the players. I was happy he signed just for player morale, but he's been pure class on the pitch too.

25 minutes ago, angieram said:

Indeed. Reminded me of the bad old days of the 80s with dilapidated stadiums. Not many events you'd pay £30 for and be expected to put up with such facilities. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

It seems such a weird idea. Why didn't they play with regular teams? Zero interest. 

I think they really missed a trick with the names. Could have been so much more relevant- what the hell has the Trent region got to do with Rockets 🤷‍♂️ Welsh and fire? It’s just lazy nonsense 

Ok, blowing my own trumpet 

Knew Waggy was a great signing. Absolutely wanted Tommo playing a bigger part this season. Both have been outstanding.

There is still a lot to do for us to develop our identity and gain consistency. One swallow doesn’t make a summer and all that. No one is off the hook or proven to be “genius” but we killed a gremlin today and decisions looked right from a player and manager point of view. 

I remain concerned about what we do vis a vis Nelson, Cash, Fozzy, Sonny. It’s a right old mix. All with skills and flaws in equal measure. With Ward and Wilson injured Warne has a complex recipe to concoct.. not easy but we are at the right end of the table and Waggy’s grin and enthusiasm is worth the ticket money for me. Happy days