Is there trouble at mill

Archied

10 hours ago, IslandExile said:

In last night's post match interview on RamsTV, he said something odd along the lines of: "there is a possible reason why we performed so badly but I can't talk about that, obviously".

Then he shouldnt say anything. I like Warnes honesty and he is funny. However, he needs to keep his frustrations away from the camera as that is having an unsettling effect. 

He needs to show the Swann effect and be serene (if he can) and leave the rest unseen.

Yes quite worrying from his last few interviews one remarking heads have been turned and the other night saying things he cant talk about thats going on and needs to keep them under his hat

I do think he as tried to get more players in but maybe he is being blocked from doing so,ie the money for Knight as not been spent on players and perhaps he as been told the same if Bird gets sold,who know just guessing but clearly something is not right 

i was very optimistic for this season now after only three games we are in a real mess,not even that confident we will beat Fleetwood this weekend which tells you everything

27 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Yes quite worrying from his last few interviews one remarking heads have been turned and the other night saying things he cant talk about thats going on and needs to keep them under his hat

I do think he as tried to get more players in but maybe he is being blocked from doing so,ie the money for Knight as not been spent on players and perhaps he as been told the same if Bird gets sold,who know just guessing but clearly something is not right 

i was very optimistic for this season now after only three games we are in a real mess,not even that confident we will beat Fleetwood this weekend which tells you everything

Sad thing is even though if we do beat Fleetwood I doubt the pressure will relax that much. The mood just feels wrong at the moment.

Nine months ago we drew 0-0 aet at Liverpool.

This season we have been outplayed by Wigan and Oxford.

The body language of the players is poor and the tactics make no sense.

The two centre halves on whom we pinned our hopes look poor.

I’d say there’s trouble at mill.

I really hope Warne, Bradley and Nelson can all turn things around. There is no joy in any of them failing.

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I really hope Warne, Bradley and Nelson can all turn things around. There is no joy in any of them failing.

All Nelson needs to do is not be seen as a somewhat vital part of our attacks (usually when the actual attackers have been nullified by our predictable and slow passing). Apart from his horrendous pass on Tuesday, he's been OK passing out of defence and certainly no worse than Curtis Davies. As a defender, he's been good.

1 minute ago, jameso said:

All Nelson needs to do is not be seen as a somewhat vital part of our attacks (usually when the actual attackers have been nullified by our predictable and slow passing). Apart from his horrendous pass on Tuesday, he's been OK passing out of defence and certainly no worse than Curtis Davies. As a defender, he's been good.

I think he’s a pretty good defender but a very limited footballer. If we can get him to play it simple he’ll be fine. When he tries to play a long or difficult pass it’s not good.

I find it strange that he lets the number 2 stand in the technical area from the start of the game, he then takes over in the second half (when we are losing), he’s the manager and he should be in there from the first minute, against Oxford he has his hands in his pockets 

The pressure is on him, he comes across (recent results included) that he thinks he’s better than he is 

The Spain trip, players standing up and discussing their life’s etc, buying players mugs etc, he’s possibly too close to the players and now the heat is on and a few rollickings need giving out the players will be thinking I thought you were my friend 

He needs to try and get back to some good old Cloughie methods and let them know who’s gaffer (it will be difficult) 

14 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think he’s a pretty good defender but a very limited footballer. If we can get him to play it simple he’ll be fine. When he tries to play a long or difficult pass it’s not good.

As a technical footballer I do think he's an upgrade on Curtis Davies 2022-23, and he's a solid defender, though nowhere near the defensive calibre of Davies at his peak (or even at the level of Davies' peak for Derby).

It's true about the long or difficult pass but at the moment even Cashin has swapped (been told to swap?) his often-effective diagonal for aimless hit-and-hope.

7 minutes ago, RAMSINCE1969 said:

I find it strange that he lets the number 2 stand in the technical area from the start of the game, he then takes over in the second half (when we are losing), he’s the manager and he should be in there from the first minute, against Oxford he has his hands in his pockets 

Honestly, I think there's a lot of nonsense talked about a lot of stuff that's (mostly) irrelevant.  All managers have their own ways of handling things, dealing with pressure, setting things up, organising their staff etc.  I think where he stands in the technical area, his mannerisms in interviews, how he chooses his captain, and a bunch of other similar things *really* don't matter in the grand scheme of things.  He's either setting his team up well or not, got his team playing well or not, getting results or not.  And the only reasons we're talking about all that other stuff is that most of the important stuff is currently marked in the "or not" column.

(I should say, the "mostly" is there for the odd thing where I think he has messed up, like the "head's turned" comments.)

15 minutes ago, RAMSINCE1969 said:

The pressure is on him, he comes across (recent results included) that he thinks he’s better than he is 

The Spain trip, players standing up and discussing their life’s etc, buying players mugs etc, he’s possibly too close to the players and now the heat is on and a few rollickings need giving out the players will be thinking I thought you were my friend 

He needs to try and get back to some good old Cloughie methods and let them know who’s gaffer (it will be difficult) 

I disagree. Warne's methodology has worked repeatedly in this division. Imo, trying to alter his whole approach will only end in disaster. 

He's shown in the past that he can alter tactics and formation when needed, but to change everything would be to walk away from everything that made him a success. To expect him to suddenly manage like Clough, Rosenior or McClaren would be unlikely to work. He has to be Paul Warne.

To use an analogy from cricket, it would be like asking a fast bowler to suddenly bowl spin. Not actually impossible, but extremely unlikely to work.

Warne has to sort the dressing room, balance adjusting the personnel to fit his style and  the formation to fit the players available and make sure those players buy in to his methods.

It still might fail, but he'll only succeed by being full Paul Warne.

12 hours ago, IslandExile said:

In last night's post match interview on RamsTV, he said something odd along the lines of: "there is a possible reason why we performed so badly but I can't talk about that, obviously".

It is a very strange thing to say, if he can't talk about it then its unlikely that we know about it, so why even allude to it, whatever it is ?

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

2 hours ago, ramboy63 said:

We have spent the knight money ( even though we get it over 4 years) - it’s going to the Polish club and rightly so.

2 hours ago, ramboy63 said:

He is just moving the blame for awful football displays to someone else.

First comment and it wasn't his fault but the fault of those 'want away' players. Second comment and it's because he can't bring in the players he wants as his budget has been cut.

None of it is his fault!? 

Look at the squad, other than a lack of pace (again his choice) the players are plenty good enough to play well and win games in quantity in this league. Why aren't they?

I do wonder how much of his choice are the players we’ve brought in , our recruitment has certainly not gone along with what he said he wanted to bring in in terms of age and athleticism, is there a bit of him saying this what I want and being given this is the best we can get ? I don’t mean massively but there could be a bit of feeling he’s not getting the tools to do the job or the type of player he can mould to do the job,

I find the Bradley thing odd , if he was his marquee signing would he be subbing him the way he is or trusting him to settle given time on the pitch

Edited by Archied

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

I do wonder how much of his choice are the players we’ve brought in , our recruitment has certainly not gone along with what he said he wanted to bring in in terms of age and athleticism, is there a bit of him saying this what I want and being given this is the best we can get ? I don’t mean massively but there could be a bit of feeling he’s not getting the tools to do the job or the type of player he can mould to do the job,

I find the Bradley thing odd , if he was his marquee signing would he be subbing him the way he is or trusting him to settle given time on the pitch

I can't imagine Vickers and Washington were anyones signings other that Warnes

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Nine months ago we drew 0-0 aet at Liverpool.

This season we have been outplayed by Wigan and Oxford.

The body language of the players is poor and the tactics make no sense.

The two centre halves on whom we pinned our hopes look poor.

I’d say there’s trouble at mill.

The one thing I would say is that we always play better in the second half. Perhaps the way around this is to give them dirty kit, an orange and a cup of tea and send them out

58 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He is just moving the blame for awful football displays to someone else.

First comment and it wasn't his fault but the fault of those 'want away' players. Second comment and it's because he can't bring in the players he wants as his budget has been cut.

None of it is his fault!? 

Look at the squad, other than a lack of pace (again his choice) the players are plenty good enough to play well and win games in quantity in this league. Why aren't they?

Agreed but there lies the question,Why aren't they?