Toxic

On the Ram Page

I read a couple of headlines from Derbyshire Live this morning:

"Nigel Clough wades in on Derby County struggles ahead of Crunch Clash"

"David Clowes sent Derby County transfer message by 'uber-paranoid' Paul Warne"

These are just sensationalist headlines for what purpose? Nigel Clough certainly didn't "wade" in and I am sure Paul Warne speaks with David Clowes on an almost daily basis and he is fully aware of Derby's requirements in the transfer window. 

Although in my 70s, I do try to keep up with technology as far as I can. I can't help but think that we are starting to live in a pretty toxic society, where many people want to voice their opinions about all sorts of topics and people on the Social Media. I have no problem with that per se, provided the opinions are based on fact or reasonable assumptions. I have no time for people who just seek sensationalism, winding people up or make hurtful, personal comments about others. I am happy for criticism of actual behaviour but not personal character assassination. Just imagine how you would feel if it was you who was the subject of these comments. You don't know the effect such comments can have on people -suicide, mental health issues or maybe just want a transfer away!

This Forum has voiced a few of those after the first couple of games of the season. There should be criticism of the team's and  individual's performances but please let's avoid personal, sensitive comments especially when these cannot be backed up with hard facts.

"Kane Wilson couldn't cross a road"  "scariest thing is we have bought two central defender who can't play football" "I guarantee Waghorn would have missed Wigan's first goal" "can stick his f****** why all up his arse" "Bird is more sparrow than golden eagle. An exhibition player not willing to break sweat. I'll drive him to Hull myself" "We've got a pub team manager in charge of a jugganaught" "Bradley has the mobility of a superglued traffic cone"

These were from just 2 posts on the Forum.

I'm not a prude but can we just think about what we are writing about and to other individuals. Hopefully, we all want all our players and staff to bring success to the Club - so lets show our support. 

9 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

This Forum has voiced a few of those after the first couple of games of the season. There should be criticism of the team's and  individual's performances but please let's avoid personal, sensitive comments especially when these cannot be backed up with hard facts.

"Kane Wilson couldn't cross a road"  "scariest thing is we have bought two central defender who can't play football" "I guarantee Waghorn would have missed Wigan's first goal" "can stick his f****** why all up his arse" "Bird is more sparrow than golden eagle. An exhibition player not willing to break sweat. I'll drive him to Hull myself" "We've got a pub team manager in charge of a jugganaught" "Bradley has the mobility of a superglued traffic cone"

Oh come on, most of it is the old 'if I don't laugh I'll cry' response! Some of those are funny.

Part of the problem is how to read online comments is open to the reader. Was it said humourously or seriously, is someone just being daft or trying to make a point?

The other part is the way clicks and engagement work online - measured, reasonable comment doesn't get clicks so everything is amped up. The current version of the internet isn't designed or intended to make life better, it's designed to monetize you and manipulate you.

I'm not saying it in a tin-foil hat way, so much as a just take a step back from the online and oh look, people are still people, good ones, bad ones, ones you like or not. The vent frustration and grumble after a loss then look forward to the next match.

I agree. I've been fairly appalled by the negative posting lately. Constructive criticism is fine, and speculation is part of the fun, but slagging players & staff off for the sake of it is a real drag. I get enough negativity in real-life, football is supposed to be an escape!

There's a chunk of fans who think Derby should win 3-0 every week, win every tackle, score with every shot, and it's just not realistic. Back the club, back the players, back the manager. Accept the financial reality.

18 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I agree. I've been fairly appalled by the negative posting lately. Constructive criticism is fine, and speculation is part of the fun, but slagging players & staff off for the sake of it is a real drag. I get enough negativity in real-life, football is supposed to be an escape!

There's a chunk of fans who think Derby should win 3-0 every week, win every tackle, score with every shot, and it's just not realistic. Back the club, back the players, back the manager. Accept the financial reality.

I agree. I've been fairly appalled by the cult-of-Paul-Warne-like posting lately. Supporting your club is fine, and speculation is part of the fun, but obsessively absolving the manager of all blame is a real drag. I get enough fake-news in real-life, football is supposed to be an escape!

There's a chunk of fans who think the manager walks on water, can do no wrong, is a football genius, and it's just not realistic. Accept the issues, accept we're struggling, accept we're in a mess. Accept the footballing reality. 😉

59 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

These are just sensationalist headlines for what purpose? Nigel Clough certainly didn't "wade" in and I am sure Paul Warne speaks with David Clowes on an almost daily basis and he is fully aware of Derby's requirements in the transfer window. 

Although in my 70s, I do try to keep up with technology as far as I can. I can't help but think that we are starting to live in a pretty toxic society, where many people want to voice their opinions about all sorts of topics and people on the Social Media. I have no problem with that per se, provided the opinions are based on fact or reasonable assumptions. I have no time for people who just seek sensationalism, winding people up or make hurtful, personal comments about others. I am happy for criticism of actual behaviour but not personal character assassination. Just imagine how you would feel if it was you who was the subject of these comments. You don't know the effect such comments can have on people -suicide, mental health issues or maybe just want a transfer away!

I'm not a prude but can we just think about what we are writing about and to other individuals. Hopefully, we all want all our players and staff to bring success to the Club - so lets show our support. 

you-want-some-got-no-fans.gif.abc13fd2f219b19c3b4b5f814aed2e2e.gif

26 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I agree. I've been fairly appalled by the cult-of-Paul-Warne-like posting lately. Supporting your club is fine, and speculation is part of the fun, but obsessively absolving the manager of all blame is a real drag. I get enough fake-news in real-life, football is supposed to be an escape!

There's a chunk of fans who think the manager walks on water, can do no wrong, is a football genius, and it's just not realistic. Accept the issues, accept we're struggling, accept we're in a mess. Accept the footballing reality. 😉

#topbantz

6 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Well the last one was from me.

So the other poster must have really gone to town.

If you think suggesting someone has the mobility of a superglued traffic cone is toxic, you have led a sheltered life.

7 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

I agree with your essential point. Heavy words are so lightly thrown. I hope the manager and players don’t read the forum. (Except the bits which would help their tactics and performance, obviously).

6 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

To be fair when you see headlines from Derbyshire Live I tend to think it will link back to a story from years back,  in this case when NC was in charge of Derby. Next week it'll be: "International player sends Derby County message fans are going to love" open link it's a story about how Mauricio Solis spotted theres a two for one deal on patio furniture at Homebase.

But yeah media ramps up the sensationalism best they can (they gotta get their clicks), plus a culture of instant gratification, mixed in with the modern day ability to be an anonymous keyboard warrior has led to an uptick on this toxicity online. It's fine to think that Warne isnt the answer, it's even ok not to rate certain players even if you dont know what is the answer nor be a better player than the one you slate, but people need to keep it civil. 

A bit of gallows humour though, yeah I like that.

I miss the togetherness and that unbelievable energy around the place when we nearly went bust. We should feel lucky we still have a club and get behind the lads and whichever manager is in charge at the time. Going to be a good few years before we're settled financially, enjoy the fact we still have games to watch, mistakes will happen as will losses but one day we'll be back enjoy the ride Saturday's could've been a lot different if it wasn't for DC!

8 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I miss the togetherness and that unbelievable energy around the place when we nearly went bust. We should feel lucky we still have a club and get behind the lads and whichever manager is in charge at the time. Going to be a good few years before we're settled financially, enjoy the fact we still have games to watch, mistakes will happen as will losses but one day we'll be back enjoy the ride Saturday's could've been a lot different if it wasn't for DC!

I get the sentiment, but for how long do we have to temper expectations with 'well at least we have a club'? Genuine question.

Edited by Scott129