Toxic

On the Ram Page

Just now, ossieram said:

No, but I wasn't claiming that we have zero debt. 

Well I'm saying that we aren't in a bad way - it was last night and I can't remember the point. You say you think we are in debt.

I go back to DC saying we have a good budget for this level - what else matters to us fans?

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's showing that he will do what is necessary to make sure his investment isn't at risk. No sentimentality.

Agreed. But if we can’t afford a £500k striker , how can we afford to pay Warne and his team £2mill to go away? We have to stick with Warne for at least 2 more seasons. He was not happy getting booed off at ht on Tues ( Never happened to him before , even after 2 relegations). He threw some players under the bus. Would he dare come out and talk about a lack of investment?

I'm going to vent at Derby Evening Telegraph because they are one of the primary sources of this toxic problem. 

Print Journalism is dead. It has been slowly dying for past 20 years. The Internet and online sources are picking papers off one by one. I wanted to look at print journalism when I left school, however the penny dropped when I realised why would someone in the future pick up a local paper when I can gain the same information online. It's a dying business and they know it. This is why DET have to flood their online content with a million adverts making it near impossible to read the "article" inorder to generate a form of revenue. And this god awful clickbait rubbish which are pretty much lies about a non story. Twisting words from various people to make a sensational headline for people to click on, only to find it is absolutely nothing of value.

I wanted local papers to do well, to provide a good local service to readers who may not have access to online information. I supported DET for a long time. However my patience has finished. They are a disgrace. Desperate to be relevant and coming up with complete utter BS at the expense of the football club. 

Radio Derby provide excellent coverage, honest information yet the BBC want to cut their funding and radio shows. They've mainly done more good for the football club over these dark times than any other media outlet. As much as they love to moan at the referees, at least they don't stir an invisible pot of negativity towards the manager and the club. I feel sorry for our local radio station. The local paper on the other hand can get lost.

Edited by SSD

11 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Agreed. But if we can’t afford a £500k striker , how can we afford to pay Warne and his team £2mill to go away? We have to stick with Warne for at least 2 more seasons. He was not happy getting booed off at ht on Tues ( Never happened to him before , even after 2 relegations). He threw some players under the bus. Would he dare come out and talk about a lack of investment?

Who says we can't afford £500k? Warne, because that is how he's spent his budget. The wages we are paying some players must be high (and unequally distributed amongst the squad) at this level. But that choice was his.

1 hour ago, SSD said:

I'm going to vent at Derby Evening Telegraph because they are one of the primary sources of this toxic problem. 

Print Journalism is dead. It has been slowly dying for past 20 years. The Internet and online sources are picking papers off one by one. I wanted to look at print journalism when I left school, however the penny dropped when I realised why would someone in the future pick up a local paper when I can gain the same information online. It's a dying business and they know it. This is why DET have to flood their online content with a million adverts making it near impossible to read the "article" inorder to generate a form of revenue. And this god awful clickbait rubbish which are pretty much lies about a non story. Twisting words from various people to make a sensational headline for people to click on, only to find it is absolutely nothing of value.

I wanted local papers to do well, to provide a good local service to readers who may not have access to online information. I supported DET for a long time. However my patience has finished. They are a disgrace. Desperate to be relevant and coming up with complete utter BS at the expense of the football club. 

Radio Derby provide excellent coverage, honest information yet the BBC want to cut their funding and radio shows. They've mainly done more good for the football club over these dark times than any other media outlet. As much as they love to moan at the referees, at least they don't stir an invisible pot of negativity towards the manager and the club. I feel sorry for our local radio station. The local paper on the other hand can get lost.

@SSD wades into local journalism row after @On the Ram Page calls out toxic behaviour that's destroying Ram's home form. Want to date Asian women?

12 hours ago, Ambitious said:

The most shrewd approach is to absolutely nail your recruitment strategy, from the academy right the way up. It takes money and investment, but if you have a system that you’re absolutely sure is bulletproof then you won’t go far wrong. The second part is coaching, again, right the way through. 

What we’re doing now is fine while we’re under restrictions and in League One, but if the long-term plan is short-term contracts and recycling through free agents every year then I struggle to get behind the vision. I understand the strategy is viable, because you’re actively monitoring your budget, not really tying yourself down in bad financial contracts, i.e. Anya, etc. I get with promotion you’re able to go for a higher class of player and bigger wages with the larger revenue. It’s a safer approach. It’s not to say it can’t work, either, but it’s not the way I envisage the club becoming successful long-term.

I am pretty certain that this is the short term vision until we are no longer under restrictions. Having said that it was muted that MM had around 500 mil behind him and DC has no where near that amount. (Which actually makes his saving of the club all the more praiseworthy).

So I guess we will not see any sort of big spend, unless we get into the premier league where money is no object, even then we wont compete with the big boys.

Actually makes me sick when you see a premier league club spending over double for one player than we are allowed to spend total in 3 years without penalty.

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

I am pretty certain that this is the short term vision until we are no longer under restrictions. Having said that it was muted that MM had around 500 mil behind him and DC has no where near that amount. (Which actually makes his saving of the club all the more praiseworthy).

So I guess we will not see any sort of big spend, unless we get into the premier league where money is no object, even then we wont compete with the big boys.

Actually makes me sick when you see a premier league club spending over double for one player than we are allowed to spend total in 3 years without penalty.

Looks like Brighton will get their £100 mill for a DM/ RB and Southampton ,£50 mill for a lad that’s played 20 Prem games . If we ever get back to the Prem , we would need £300 mill up front - to hang in there.

3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Looks like Brighton will get their £100 mill for a DM/ RB and Southampton ,£50 mill for a lad that’s played 20 Prem games . If we ever get back to the Prem , we would need £300 mill up front - to hang in there.

Exactly my point. We would need massive investment, even if we get the golden playoff money.

The so called richest game in football, wouldn't even buy those two alone.

Edited by BathRam72

1 minute ago, jimtastic56 said:

Not really. Just need to get some kids in who look good for a few games, then you get 100 million odd. No risk to the rich clubs either, they can just sell them on to a Saudi club their owners has business links too/an rubbish ex-player manages a club there. It's the circle of life.

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well I'm saying that we aren't in a bad way - it was last night and I can't remember the point. You say you think we are in debt.

I go back to DC saying we have a good budget for this level - what else matters to us fans?

I've never said we are in debt! 

I don't know whether we are or not, and I'd be surprised if you knew. 

On 11/08/2023 at 12:25, jimtastic56 said:

Brentford and Brighton have done well by not spending much money but having a great recruitment team and scouting all over the world, we'd need to do that instead of signing overpriced English players who are already established,  we'd need a mix of old heads like Milner and younger foreign players with potential.