Warne has to get the balance right

Curtains

3 minutes ago, SouthDerbysRam said:

I think the team is more balanced, but we have less talent. That's what happens when you lose your 2 best players in McGoldrick and Knight unfortunately, which is completely out of our control. Knight's difficult to replace but I think they need a marathon runner like him in midfield. He fixed a lot of problems back tracking last season and is going to be a massive miss. Smith didn't have a terrible game (bar a few bad passes) but I would have loved to have seen Thompson paired with Hourihane on 60 mins yesterday, he would have helped more with pressing and backchecking.

I’m typically positive in my outlook and want Warne to succeed, however my big concerns with him last season and yesterday remain his in-game management, and therefor I suppose his tactical nous. We were in the ascendancy following the equaliser, and we had tiring legs out there, I wanted to see changes to help us over the line. I accept the bench was lacking in attacking depth, but Elder, Wilson and Washington all looked fit enough when they did come on and Thompson was bright in his cameo. It all happened far too late.
That’s the big frustration for me, I think the tactics can work (as they were at times yesterday), but Warne needs to play his hand sooner in games. 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m typically positive in my outlook and want Warne to succeed, however my big concerns with him last season and yesterday remain his in-game management, and therefor I suppose his tactical nous. We were in the ascendancy following the equaliser, and we had tiring legs out there, I wanted to see changes to help us over the line. I accept the bench was lacking in attacking depth, but Elder, Wilson and Washington all looked fit enough when they did come on and Thompson was bright in his cameo. It all happened far too late.
That’s the big frustration for me, I think the tactics can work (as they were at times yesterday), but Warne needs to play his hand sooner in games. 

Did you hear him talking about how the new coaching rules affected him yesterday? Said he wasn't allowed to step forward to discuss tactics with Richie Barker and felt uncomfortable doing it further back within earshot of the subs.

An unintended consequence of the changes designed to protect the fourth official. 

Warne needs to cut out the peripherals that impact on him , easier said than done if you're that type of person. I am one myself. Makes you lose focus.

23 minutes ago, angieram said:

Did you hear him talking about how the new coaching rules affected him yesterday? Said he wasn't allowed to step forward to discuss tactics with Richie Barker and felt uncomfortable doing it further back within earshot of the subs.

An unintended consequence of the changes designed to protect the fourth official. 

Warne needs to cut out the peripherals that impact on him , easier said than done if you're that type of person. I am one myself. Makes you lose focus.

I find that rather a lame and pathetic excuse. If he's too nice to risk upsetting the subs he's in the wrong job. 

1 hour ago, enachops said:

Warne keeps saying we need players who can perform in front of big crowds and deal with the pressure. Does that apply to the manager too? We shall see…

I don’t believe that at all regarding the players. Port vale and Fleetwood came to Pride Park and beat us. How many do they normally play in front of? 

You’d soon get used to it after a game or 2

2 hours ago, angieram said:

That's my point. Does he sweat the small stuff too much? 

Probably. He says he's an honest person, a people person concerned over player welfare. Then what's to worry about discussing substitutions or players contributions unintentionally within their earshot? I'm starting to think we need a bit more of the 'I'm the boss' stuff? I'm still not convinced even if I like his ethics.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I didn’t catch that no, it’s an interesting one, because at times Warne seems like he’s willing to be brutally honest (to the point some have criticised him on here) and yet at others he seems to be cautious. He needs to get used to these new rules and quick if it’s another thing hindering him making us succeed. 

8 hours ago, Malty said:

Starting only two forward looking players at home. Just crazy. We are causing our own problems.

Not sure if you saw our bench but we onky had 1 attacking option on there, did you expect us to start Washington as well & have no attacking option on the bench.

The lack of attacking options starting yesterday wont have been through choice, its down to numbers.

Add Waggy, another striker, Barkhuizen, Sibley & maybe another striker or 10 we will then start to have more attacking options but on Sat we had Collins & NML with an unfit Washington on the bench

5 hours ago, G-Ram said:

I think the club is too big for the manager & coaching staff

We are a League One club.

Before that, a Championship club for 14 seasons.

The only people who see us currently as a big club are some delusional fans.

Warne has managed successfully at this level for quite a few years.

3 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

I find that rather a lame and pathetic excuse. If he's too nice to risk upsetting the subs he's in the wrong job. 

Is it a case of upsetting the subs though? It's more likely that he could be thinking of taking xxxx off because he's having a mare and doesn't want all and sundry knowing that, preferring to take xxxx to one side after the game and gently discuss the reason for his substitution. He's very big on team spirit and letting the other players know that you think that xxxx is playing crap, won't help team spirit.

"Shall we bring that Washington on?"

"Nah, he's f'ing s'ite!"

"Why did you tell me to buy him then?"

"You told me too!"

"I was joking!"

"Seriously! You wnkr!"

"Who should we take off anyway?"

"Fk knows, they are all s'ite"

"I thought you said we were going up!"

"Hahhahahh!"

"Hahahhahah!"

"At least some of the more perceptive posters on DCFC Fans have realised we are a joke. Some of the half time posts were spot on and this club is way, way too big for jokers like me and you!"

"Hooooooof it!"

55 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We are a League One club.

Before that, a Championship club for 14 seasons.

The only people who see us currently as a big club are some delusional fans.

Warne has managed successfully at this level for quite a few years.

Count me in as looking for the Oasis in the desert as my delusions carry on.  This club should be comfortably mid table top flight as a regular occurrence with the occasional push for Europe and a few years in the championship intermittently.  14 years is a mere pee in 140 years and way outside the norm.    

6 hours ago, G-Ram said:

I think the club is too big for the manager & coaching staff

Not wanting to get into big-club arguments or arbitrarily slagging off Warne, but I do think there’s a small nugget of truth in this, in that I think his default tactics are far more suitable when you’re the smaller team. The ultra-aggressive non-stop pressing stuff is what you do to stop teams outplaying you (if you can’t outplay them, out run them etc). But I think teams are far more likely to try and outplay Rotherham than they are us.  A lot of teams at this level will come to pride park and just try and stop us playing, and maybe nick something if they can, they won’t even try to play out from the back into the traps we’re laying for them.  Ironically of course, Wigan was a game we should have been ok in, because they did try that, we just didn’t execute very well.

I do also wonder what kind of squad he walked into at Rotherham. If he inherited a squad that was already quite suitable for his style, he only had to maintain that for a while.  He’s maybe never had to deal with having a squad that simply cannot do what he wants them to do.  Kind of like the way Steve McClaren (the first time) walked into a squad perfect for what he wanted, and he hit the ground running. Whereas Nigel Pearson had nothing like it and sank within weeks.

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Not sure if you saw our bench but we onky had 1 attacking option on there, did you expect us to start Washington as well & have no attacking option on the bench.

The lack of attacking options starting yesterday wont have been through choice, its down to numbers.

Add Waggy, another striker, Barkhuizen, Sibley & maybe another striker or 10 we will then start to have more attacking options but on Sat we had Collins & NML with an unfit Washington on the bench

I do t think so. It was the same last year when we had attacking options. Warne plays the same way at home as away. It’s unadventurous and frankly boring watching us play at home. We have more creative options but don’t use them. 

and yes we should definitely have started with Washington yesterday.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Not wanting to get into big-club arguments or arbitrarily slagging off Warne, but I do think there’s a small nugget of truth in this, in that I think his default tactics are far more suitable when you’re the smaller team. The ultra-aggressive non-stop pressing stuff is what you do to stop teams outplaying you (if you can’t outplay them, out run them etc). But I think teams are far more likely to try and outplay Rotherham than they are us.  A lot of teams at this level will come to pride park and just try and stop us playing, and maybe nick something if they can, they won’t even try to play out from the back into the traps we’re laying for them.  Ironically of course, Wigan was a game we should have been ok in, because they did try that, we just didn’t execute very well.

I do also wonder what kind of squad he walked into at Rotherham. If he inherited a squad that was already quite suitable for his style, he only had to maintain that for a while.  He’s maybe never had to deal with having a squad that simply cannot do what he wants them to do.  Kind of like the way Steve McClaren (the first time) walked into a squad perfect for what he wanted, and he hit the ground running. Whereas Nigel Pearson had nothing like it and sank within weeks.

Ultra pressing, aka gegenpress, was popularised by Klopp. It’s not an underdog tactic. 

3 minutes ago, Malty said:

I do t think so. It was the same last year when we had attacking options. Warne plays the same way at home as away. It’s unadventurous and frankly boring watching us play at home. We have more creative options but don’t use them. 

I am surprised you think Warneball is unadventurous and boring to watch. I think it’s almost the opposite; but is it promotion winning football? You can’t knock his career L1 promotion record, but even this season with the squad he has assembled, it still would seem to me that those players could take us up if they were played to their strengths, as a 442 or 433, rather than how Warne wants to set them up to play.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Ultra pressing, aka gegenpress, was popularised by Klopp. It’s not an underdog tactic. 

Liverpool, and Man City too, both press aggressively, but they do it selectively.  If they lose the ball, they press intensively for a short period to try and win it back, and if they can’t, they funnel back into a defensive shape. We don’t seem to want to do that, we press and press and press and press until we’re dead on our feet.  Liverpool and Man City press to allow them to get back to their main gameplan. The pressing *is* our main gameplan.