Warne has to get the balance right

Curtains

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Ultra pressing, aka gegenpress, was popularised by Klopp. It’s not an underdog tactic. 

We’ve been trying to replicate the gegenpress? The one that relies on relentless pressing and pace to exploit opposition mistakes?

It does explain a lot and is quite inspirational. In fact it’s inspired me to milk the neighbours cat and use it as the base ingredient for an award winning Brie. Can’t see how either me or the Warnemeister can possibly fail!

8 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Liverpool, and Man City too, both press aggressively, but they do it selectively.  If they lose the ball, they press intensively for a short period to try and win it back, and if they can’t, they funnel back into a defensive shape. We don’t seem to want to do that, we press and press and press and press until we’re dead on our feet.  Liverpool and Man City press to allow them to get back to their main gameplan. The pressing *is* our main gameplan.

They’re also not doing it with dad’s army. 

9 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The pressing *is* our main gameplan.

Although I’m not convinced we do it very well. Other teams have properly pressed us in League 1. Barnsley away springs to mind.

26 minutes ago, Malty said:

I do t think so. It was the same last year when we had attacking options. Warne plays the same way at home as away. It’s unadventurous and frankly boring watching us play at home. We have more creative options but don’t use them. 

and yes we should definitely have started with Washington yesterday.

Last season we played a different formation to what Warne usually plays for the majority until the very end of the season when he changed it.

He was always going to go 3 at the back this season. Due to injuries & lack of attacking transfers he doesnt have much choice but to play people out of position like Bird & NML. No way should Washington have started yesterday, he isnt fit enough to start a match just yet, and if he did I assume it wouldnt have been for NML or Collins as you wanted our only 3 attacking players starting....so who are our attacking options on the bench? There is nobody but that will be better in the comin weeks with new signings & returning players from injuries.

I would prefer us to be getting the ball forward & pressing teams with high energy than to be passing it around the back 4 for 20 passes & not going anywhere. 

2 minutes ago, jameso said:

Although I’m not convinced we do it very well. Other teams have properly pressed us in League 1. Barnsley away springs to mind.

We did it quite well at times last season, when we had a front four of like McGoldrick + NML, Knight, Barkhuizen (all reasonably mobile, at least fairly hard working etc).  This system we’e playing now gives us less bodies up there to press, and several of them are less mobile than the other lot on top of that.

6 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

He was always going to go 3 at the back this season. Due to injuries & lack of attacking transfers he doesnt have much choice but to play people out of position like Bird & NML.

What? I hadn't realised there was only one way to play football! FFS all these years watching the game wasted on me then. Far be it from me to suggest he make the best out of a good squad by playing to their strengths.

Edited by RoyMac5

5 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

I don’t believe that at all regarding the players. Port vale and Fleetwood came to Pride Park and beat us. How many do they normally play in front of? 

You’d soon get used to it after a game or 2

Didnt seem like 15,000 yesterday so shouldnt have been an issue

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What? I hadn't realised there was only one way to play football! FFS all these years watching the game wasted on me then. Far be it from me to suggest he make the best out of a good squad by playing to their strengths.

Obviously there are different ways to play but Warne is clearly playing 3412 or 3421 this season so he isnt going to change that straight away when the whole of preseason was geared to that. Bird & NML have actually been quite productive in those roles in preseason but everyone knows thats not their natural position but for the timebeing Warne will stick with them until others are available.

Edited by DCFC1388

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

Obviously there are different ways to play but Warne is clearly playing 3412 or 3421 this season so he isnt going to change that straight away when the whole of preseason was geared to that. Bird & NML have actually been quite productive in those roles in preseason but everyone knows thats not their natural position but for the timebeing Warne will stick with them until others are available.

Oh well, we'll wait then.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Personally, I love seeing Cashin treading water, as he slides further and further into the full back position desperately chasing a winger like he's wearing flippers and lead underpants.  You've got it all wrong.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Oh well, we'll wait then.

So do you think after practicing a certain formation for the whole of preseason Warne should have decided this week to completely change it because the signings he had hoped to be in the door & players he hoped would be back in time werent available? 

Oh lads, i know we have trained this way for 6 weeks but ive changed my mind for this game, good luck

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

So do you think after practicing a certain formation for the whole of preseason Warne should have decided this week to completely change it because the signings he had hoped to be in the door & players he hoped would be back in time werent available? 

Oh lads, i know we have trained this way for 6 weeks but ive changed my mind for this game, good luck

Yes.  If it's warranted.  Good managers can even do that 2 or 3 times a game.  

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Surely the pertinent point, is why have we spent the whole of preseason practicing only one formation, when we still don’t have the players to play it properly?

14 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Didnt seem like 15,000 yesterday so shouldnt have been an issue

It was quiet yesterday wasn’t it. After 20 minutes it seemed like many in the stadium were chatting amongst themselves. And the South Stand were very quiet other than when we scored.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

It was quiet yesterday wasn’t it. After 20 minutes it seemed like many in the stadium were chatting amongst themselves. And the South Stand were very quiet other than when we scored.

Perhaps as PA system so loud - you couldnt catch up with people until match started! 

7 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Surely the pertinent point, is why have we spent the whole of preseason practicing only one formation, when we still don’t have the players to play it properly?

Its been a mix of 2 or 3 in preseason, preseason is to implement plans for the whole of the upcoming season not just game 1. He probably thought that NML & Bird had the ability to play as 10s  but they let him & the fans down yesterday by not performing as well have they had shown in preseason.

He had to play Thompson LWB for some preseason games, doesnt mean he will this season, bit of a needs must until players are fit.

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

And what is this new profile picture?! New season new you? 

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Deadly quiet.  I saw a lot of kids on their phones yesterday.  God knows what they're doing as I may as well be on the moon for the time I'm in there. They looked bored to be there.  If the quality stays the same  I reckon they'll be having family Saturdays out at Drayton Manor or sat at home playing some FIFA game against a bloke in the Azores in a month.  Turning up regardless of result isn't like the old days I'm afraid, there are plenty of other options for entertainment and they'll take it.