Warne has to get the balance right

Curtains

11 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Early days yet but not happy with yesterday.

Are we destroying Bird and Cashin with this system 

Slow at the back and NML all over the place 

Bird has had enough opportunity in different styles and under different managers. So he's not suffering as a result of the system. Doing some good things but perhaps not the player we hoped for.

Cashin clearly is suffering as the LCB in a 3. Far too slow and I can't believe that Warne hasn't seen this, it's very predictable. But seemingly we've not covered this in our squad. Fozzy and Rooney are slightly quicker and more mobile but not enough. So I'm confused about the planning here.

Something has to change; play to the strengths of the players we have instead of trying to force a system on them for a start. Several of our players looked in my view out of position and were thus rendered ineffective (NML, Bird) and in midfield it was the same old same old. The number of times our players had the ball and were trying to find options but couldn’t was ridiculous. 
Wigan should have been there for the taking; they have lost 16 players from their first team squad since the end of last season including their top scorer and yet they looked much more comfortable, composed and well drilled than us all game. 

Just a lack of pace all over the pitch. It’s the main issue. Look to the bench to change it… still no pace. 

Cashin had no clue yesterday what to do with their winger who was pulling him wide and got behind Forsyth. Smith is slower than slow, Hourihane can’t move with the ball, Collins gets the ball in acres on a counter but can’t make use of it… could go on.

We will beat teams with what we have, but we will struggle to achieve what we want to without a couple of players with pace signed in the next couple of weeks. 

Will say, though, yesterday we made so many unforced errors which can’t be pinned on the system. The two goals were errors, so many off target passes from the likes of Cashin and Smith. Static movement. All things which aren’t due to the system. Just poor execution. 

Edited by Srg

45 minutes ago, Srg said:

Will say, though, yesterday we made so many unforced errors which can’t be pinned on the system. The two goals were errors, so many off target passes from the likes of Cashin and Smith. Static movement. All things which aren’t due to the system. Just poor execution. 

I never quite know with these things which is chicken and which is egg? Cause and effect.

the thing that i dont get is why so many defensive players on the pitch? 

we have to replace mcgoldricks goals, we are not going to do that by reducing the amount of attackers we have on the pitch or getting in the box.

if you play that system you need runners all over the pitch which we dont have, its square pegs in round holes which is strange considering he has had a whole pre season to figure this out

get more attackers on the pitch, this squad isnt going to score enough goals to get us promotion without bodies in the box

56 minutes ago, Srg said:

Just a lack of pace all over the pitch. It’s the main issue. Look to the bench to change it… still no pace. 

Cashin had no clue yesterday what to do with their winger who was pulling him wide and got behind Forsyth. Smith is slower than slow, Hourihane can’t move with the ball, Collins gets the ball in acres on a counter but can’t make use of it… could go on.

We will beat teams with what we have, but we will struggle to achieve what we want to without a couple of players with pace signed in the next couple of weeks. 

the problem is we had all summer to address this as we lacked pace and athletism last season

and our answer currently is to sign martyn waghorn...

58 minutes ago, Srg said:

Bill Shankly used to say..."the biggest crime in football is to give the ball away" the 2 above were our 2 biggest culprits, Cashin out wide on the left and delivers a cross field ball to the 3rd row in East Stand Lower where there were plenty of bodies and not a Derby player in sight, Smith unfortunately didn't have his colour goggles on, Often giving the ball to a red shirt rather that a white one.

1 hour ago, Andrew3000 said:

Bird has had enough opportunity in different styles and under different managers. So he's not suffering as a result of the system. Doing some good things but perhaps not the player we hoped for.

Cashin clearly is suffering as the LCB in a 3. Far too slow and I can't believe that Warne hasn't seen this, it's very predictable. But seemingly we've not covered this in our squad. Fozzy and Rooney are slightly quicker and more mobile but not enough. So I'm confused about the planning here.

Bird was at his best under Cocu, same as many of our young academy graduates. Funny that... a manager known for developing youngsters gets the best out of young players.

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bird was at his best under Cocu, same as many of our young academy graduates. Funny that... a manager known for developing youngsters gets the best out of young players.

Maybe slow possession based stuff suits him but can't see him running games like their no.8 yesterday. I like him, but always seems peripheral. Let's see, maybe he grows into this role.

3 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Maybe slow possession based stuff suits him but can't see him running games like their no.8 yesterday. I like him, but always seems peripheral. Let's see, maybe he grows into this role.

I think Bird leaves in the window

I think the team is more balanced, but we have less talent. That's what happens when you lose your 2 best players in McGoldrick and Knight unfortunately, which is completely out of our control. Knight's difficult to replace but I think they need a marathon runner like him in midfield. He fixed a lot of problems back tracking last season and is going to be a massive miss. Smith didn't have a terrible game (bar a few bad passes) but I would have loved to have seen Thompson paired with Hourihane on 60 mins yesterday, he would have helped more with pressing and backchecking.