Warne has to get the balance right

Curtains

On 10/08/2023 at 00:33, CBRammette said:

How different could last season have been if the midfield balance had been got right then?  Would Knighty have been playing for us in the Championship instead? Ironic its for Pearson. It will say a great deal if they all leave in turn having "heads turned" and seem to instantly be unleashed. "Didnt even set league 1 on fire."  Never mind anything else, not getting the best out of what was already right there last season is I think my sad turning point. We still have some good players and PW's job is to get the best out of them. Hope he does but we shall see and if he doesnt hope they have not all had "heads turned" and left 😢

Funny that! When people on here used to moan about Knight not being good enough

5 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Of course it does, it's a constant.  That's why we 28k turning up.  It's based on the foundation of the club itself.   If you think that a 5 yr history for the likes of Brentford and Bournemouth equates to anything like a club the size of Derby, the games it's had, the players it's had and the managers it's had even then I give up.

You hate modern day football but can't see past 15 years when it come to your own. That really doesn't equate.  Leicester went from the 3rd tier to premier league champions in 4 seasons recently but Derby should accept that their lot is too sit in the 3rd tier with no identity as it doesn't matter and Brentford are a bigger club.

What a load of old drivel.😂

On this point @Gee SCREAMER !! what are your thoughts on attendances if we don’t get promoted? I know you’ve shared some strong opinions on Warne before that I don’t share, but your point about 28k turning up for the club strikes a chord with me. I see people saying the attendances will drop off dramatically the longer we’re in league one, and I just don’t know that I believe that. Some will stop going, not disputing that sentiment entirely from other posters but I don’t see it being a dramatic drop off partly because of the point you make. Derby County football club is a part of the fabric of the city (and surrounding areas), yes people go because they want the team to succeed, but there’s more to it than that isn’t there? It’s about legacy of what’s gone before, it’s about that Saturday (or Tuesday, or random Thursday to accommodate sky’s cameras) routine, it’s about spending that time with mates and family, or away from them for that ultimate escape, it’s about being gluttons for punishment with the hope that kills ya…. I think in a one club city with so much history linked to the side (both good and bad), plenty would still turn out to see the Rams.
Managers and players come and go, the club and it’s fans are the constant.

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Of course it does, it's a constant.  That's why we 28k turning up.  It's based on the foundation of the club itself.   If you think that a 5 yr history for the likes of Brentford and Bournemouth equates to anything like a club the size of Derby, the games it's had, the players it's had and the managers it's had even then I give up.

You hate modern day football but can't see past 15 years when it come to your own. That really doesn't equate.  Leicester went from the 3rd tier to premier league champions in 4 seasons recently but Derby should accept that their lot is too sit in the 3rd tier with no identity as it doesn't matter and Brentford are a bigger club.

What a load of old drivel.😂

Well why did we only have 11 or 12 thousand turning up in the early 90s, that was after all of our glory days.

To be honest when I see people like you on the intetnet telling everyone that we are a big club it makes me cringe.

Of course I dont want us sat in the 3rd tier or really even the 2nd tier, however I accept that after 15 years away from the top table, which is where all of the money in the game is at, we have fallen behind a lot of teams that for many years we would have looked at.

You keep on telling yourself we are a massive club if it keeps you happy, it certainly appears so far that other teams aren't getting the agenda though. 

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well why did we only have 11 or 12 thousand turning up in the early 90s, that was after all of our glory days.

To be honest when I see people like you on the intetnet telling everyone that we are a big club it makes me cringe.

Of course I dont want us sat in the 3rd tier or really even the 2nd tier, however I accept that after 15 years away from the top table, which is where all of the money in the game is at, we have fallen behind a lot of teams that for many years we would have looked at.

You keep on telling yourself we are a massive club if it keeps you happy, it certainly appears so far that other teams aren't getting the agenda though. 

It was about 15k-16k at Derby.  In a ground that held 18.  At the time Chelsea was about 17, Spurs 21, Newcastle 16.5.  That was football at the time.  Two of them were in the first division.   Suppose they're all s**** as well.  Please show me were I said we are massive and are a European superpower.

Regularly finishing mid table in the top division, with an occasional push for a European place with occasional relegation and a spell in the Championship is what I said.  Funnily enough the decade your referring to is exactly that.  

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

On this point @Gee SCREAMER !! what are your thoughts on attendances if we don’t get promoted? I know you’ve shared some strong opinions on Warne before that I don’t share, but your point about 28k turning up for the club strikes a chord with me. I see people saying the attendances will drop off dramatically the longer we’re in league one, and I just don’t know that I believe that. Some will stop going, not disputing that sentiment entirely from other posters but I don’t see it being a dramatic drop off partly because of the point you make. Derby County football club is a part of the fabric of the city (and surrounding areas), yes people go because they want the team to succeed, but there’s more to it than that isn’t there? It’s about legacy of what’s gone before, it’s about that Saturday (or Tuesday, or random Thursday to accommodate sky’s cameras) routine, it’s about spending that time with mates and family, or away from them for that ultimate escape, it’s about being gluttons for punishment with the hope that kills ya…. I think in a one club city with so much history linked to the side (both good and bad), plenty would still turn out to see the Rams.
Managers and players come and go, the club and it’s fans are the constant.

Attendances will drop if we don't go up in a couple of years. That's true of any club.  I'd be surprised to see it drop below 23k even if we were mid table in this division but time will tell.  The numbers we've had for the last couple of years are exceptional. Sadly, a number of younger supporters will inevitably get hooked on Man City or however is leading the way as time passes but that's happened since Blackburn in 1994.  The fact that happens FAR less at Derby than other cities speaks volumes however.

I always have a certain respect reserved for those clubs in the Greater Manchester area sticking with the Rochdales and Stockports when they could so easily follow City or United.  The fact they don't, shows how a football club is within your residue and gets passed down.  Hope it doesn't get too diluted over the years.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

It was about 15k-16k at Derby.  In a ground that held 18.  At the time Chelsea was about 17, Spurs 21, Newcastle 16.5.  That was football at the time.  Two of them were in the first division.   Suppose they're all s**** as well.  Please show me were I said we are massive and are a European superpower.

Regularly finishing mid table in the top division, with an occasional push for a European place with occasional relegation and a spell in the Championship is what I said.  Funnily enough the decade your referring to is exactly that.  

You said we are a big club and then started to referring to other teams, that are established in the Premier League, as European powerhouses.

Without looking, the capacity was around 24k and I seem to remember a midweek game against Southend where the ground was less than half full.

'Regularly finishing mid table in the top division'? As things are standing a sighting of Halleys comet will be more regular.

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You said we are a big club and then started to referring to other teams, that are established in the Premier League, as European powerhouses.

Without looking, the capacity was around 24k and I seem to remember a midweek game against Southend where the ground was less than half full.

'Regularly finishing mid table in the top division'? As things are standing a sighting of Halleys comet will be more regular.

No it wasn't and I see you've skirted round the whole football attendance as a whole issue I referred too whilst bashing your own club. They played Southend in the league cup first round and won 7-0 might be that one .  Never the biggest pull.   I remember another game away at Southend in 94 where Derby took over the place for the weekend .  Last game of 94 I think.  We are a big club.  I have not stated Derby are a European powerhouse.

I mean, we've only spent 75 years in the top flight and indeed had spent a similar period outside the top flight in the 50 and 60's. Did OK when we got back though and no sign of a comet.

We were in as a bad a position in the 80's.  Mid table with no cash.  4 years later a UEFA cup place and we would have got if Maxwell hadn't strangled the club.  No sign of comets. 

When Brentford and Brighton have another 70 years of top flight football, A European cup semi final, an FA cup win and 3 other finals, 2 league titles and twice runner up, founder member of the football league status and have broke the British transfer fee record on 6 occasions we can chat again.  Derby would have too spend another 60 or 70 years in this division first though to match their amazing credentials regardless.  

I don't think the average has been below 22k in any season at Pride Park to be fair so that is a reasonable worst case scenario which could happen regardless of what happens on the pitch as people are finding it harder to afford things in the current financial climate. Probably not that relevant comparing anything pre Pride Park. 

27 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

No it wasn't and I see you've skirted round the whole football attendance as a whole issue I referred too whilst bashing your own club. They played Southend in the league cup first round and won 7-0 might be that one .  Never the biggest pull.   I remember another game away at Southend in 94 where Derby took over the place for the weekend .  Last game of 94 I think.  We are a big club.  I have not stated Derby are a European powerhouse.

I mean, we've only spent 75 years in the top flight and indeed had spent a similar period outside the top flight in the 50 and 60's. Did OK when we got back though and no sign of a comet.

We were in as a bad a position in the 80's.  Mid table with no cash.  4 years later a UEFA cup place and we would have got if Maxwell hadn't strangled the club.  No sign of comets. 

When Brentford and Brighton have another 70 years of top flight football, A European cup semi final, an FA cup win and 3 other finals, 2 league titles and twice runner up, founder member of the football league status and have broke the British transfer fee record on 6 occasions we can chat again.  Derby would have too spend another 60 or 70 years in this division first though to match their amazing credentials regardless.  

I see you've ignored that we've not even come close to anything that you're describing in the last 25 years.

Of course there was that season where we rocked the Premier League with 11 points.

I think we are a really well supported club but these days, outside of Derby, we barely even register on the footballing landscape.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I see you've ignored that we've not even come close to anything that you're describing in the last 25 years.

Of course there was that season where we rocked the Premier League with 11 points.

I think we are a really well supported club but these days, outside of Derby, we barely even register on the footballing landscape.

Can you go back to the politics thread mate.  Your boring the pants off me and have no argument.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Can you go back to the politics thread mate.  Your boring the pants off me and have no argument.

Well, I have an argument, just one you don't like to hear.

Happy to leave it there, I'll catch up with you in the 'We should be promoted after 2 matches because we won the league 50 years ago' thread.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well, I have an argument, just one you don't like to hear.

Happy to leave it there, I'll catch up with you in the 'We should be promoted after 2 matches because we won the league 50 years ago' thread.

Here you are mate. I've found you a new penpal.  He'll listen to inane bollox all day.

image.png.64c314f23dd56eec7b042d2f3a4b3257.png