v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

There is a reason why Warne’s Rotherham got relegated every season. His record against the better teams is simply woeful.

He is probably the only manager capable of taking over a PL side and breaking our 11 point record.

Spent about 5/6 years there, have I missed something and they ended up in the Vanaramma Conference North?

That was very disappointing.

Scariest thing is that we seem to have bought two central defenders who can’t play football. They were both awful. Can’t believe it was Cashin who got subbed.

Do people really believe Collins is going to score goals?

Might as well have Thompson up there for the impact he has. He might make a midfield player but he won’t be a goal scorer as long as his rectum is anatomically correct.

More pace needed throughout the team.

Bird started well and faded and I thought Smith was steady but the rest shouldn’t have the nerve to claim their wages.

Finally, can anyone explain why we’ve nominated as captain a man that stops running after an hour?

Baffling.

Wigan thoroughly deserved their win because they looked like they meant it.

3 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Were you writing this at the dentist?

Looking at that, we've had a terrible transfer window thus far, some of the glaring areas that needed to be addressed from last season just haven't been touched. I don't believe that it's hard to find good players to represent this great club, even with our limited financial situation. It appears the manager and his assembled team just don't have the contacts across the UK, Europe, further afield..

Oh well, onwards and upwards. 

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Scariest thing is that we seem to have bought two central defenders who can’t play football. They were both awful. Can’t believe it was Cashin who got subbed.

You thought Nelson was awful?

The good: Ward looks a really good outlet, always positive and put some decent crosses in today. Forsyth did a really good job of getting up and down the pitch and scored a great goal. I thought Bird had some positive passes and touches in good positions.

The bad: The defence and keeper. What was that lads? 2 calamitous goals and generally looked like they had no idea what each of them was doing. I felt Wildsmith should do better with both goals, certainly the second. Collins and Mendez-Laing largely pretty ineffectual. The subs didn't offer much.

Overall, I felt we played well in spells but you can't defend like that in any division. Really needs tightening up and fast. 

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

We made these errors and very nearly made the play-offs though. It's annoying to lose because of errors, but I think we will add to our squad, whether it's a significant improvement or not remains to be seen, and we can push on after this month.

We're under restrictions that still give us a bigger budget than the majority in this league, and we'll still have more quality than the majority too.

I agree that the squad isn’t complete yet, but I was disappointed with the performance of some today. That early header from Bradley would have changed the whole game. It’s fine margins in football but you can’t gift two goals and expect to win.

Gift teams two goals (and three other gilt edged chances) and it's always going to be a struggle.

We were well on top when they got the second though.

We were one paced, lacking flair and absolutely needed two or three attacking options plus Sibley and Barks fit...but we'd have got away with without calamitous individual c***-ups.

We Warneballled the s*** out of them.

Unfortunately we also Warneballled the s*** into ourselves 

Hoon it into the box. Hoon it into the box. Hoon it into the box. Defence winning every ball? Continue to hoon it into the box.

Have a slow defence/midfield? Tell them to push forward to get onto the hooning into the box even though it leaves massive gaps at the back, what could go wrong?

Amateur hour tactically. 

Edited by Kokosnuss

Just now, Andicis said:

The good: Ward looks a really good outlet, always positive and put some decent crosses in today. Forsyth did a really good job of getting up and down the pitch and scored a great goal. I thought Bird had some positive passes and touches in good positions.

The bad: The defence and keeper. What was that lads? 2 calamitous goals and generally looked like they had no idea what each of them was doing. I felt Wildsmith should do better with both goals, certainly the second. Collins and Mendez-Laing largely pretty ineffectual. The subs didn't offer much.

Overall, I felt we played well in spells but you can't defend like that in any division. Really needs tightening up and fast. 

Reasonable analysis and the good news is that we know the central defenders and the keeper are good players so there's really nothing to worry about there. Up front still looks a bit short of where we need to be of course. Onwards and upwards.