Women's World Cup

therealhantsram

5 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think it must be the var can only review one specific decision? It could get even more out of hand if it includes a review of the events up to the decision I guess is the reasoning. Still hate VAR.

Team Kylie 1-0 Team Sarah Lund

Not so, earlier in the tournament there was an incident missed by the ref, which was caught by the VAR team. It showed that the ref had missed a foul in the penalty area on one of the English girls, but after showing the incident several times showing that it was a penalty, they then showed an incident on the lead up to the penalty showing that another England player had first fouled the player conceding the penalty. This resulted in a free kick for the opposition.

5 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

How many times have we seen England men go out of tournaments in the same way Nigeria did? Nigeria clearly the better team on the night, but lacking either the experience or mental toughness to get through the drama of a penalty shoot out.

The experience of the Euros came through for this England team. Overcame a penalty award being overturned by VAR (which looked very harsh) and a sending off too.  It will give them huge confidence boost. But with so many players missing the next round, it'll likely be about grinding out results Germany-style from now on.

I don't think grinding out a 1-1 draw with South Korea will get us very far!  👀

25 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Not so, earlier in the tournament there was an incident missed by the ref, which was caught by the VAR team. It showed that the ref had missed a foul in the penalty area on one of the English girls, but after showing the incident several times showing that it was a penalty, they then showed an incident on the lead up to the penalty showing that another England player had first fouled the player conceding the penalty. This resulted in a free kick for the opposition.

I stand corrected.

5 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I stand corrected.

Does there have to be an actual decision before var gets cranked up to review?

Some commentators seemed to think that var couldn't intervene in the Lucy bronze elbow as the ref hadn't given a foul?

Crap performance,but we actually improved when we went down to 10, ironically.

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Does there have to be an actual decision before var gets cranked up to review?

Some commentators seemed to think that var couldn't intervene in the Lucy bronze elbow as the ref hadn't given a foul?

Crap performance,but we actually improved when we went down to 10, ironically.

No of course not or how would it ever intervene on something the referee completely missed (like violent conduct etc). 

Agree with previous posts. Nigeria were unlucky and were definitely the better team. Just lacked the mental strength with the shoot out. And is it just me (probably) but did a lot of the commentary sound like Carry On type double entendres?

“She’s a wonderful dribbler”

”Unlucky. She just couldn’t get on the end of it”

”She went down very easily”

”Oh she took that shot straight in her face”

3 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Agree with previous posts. Nigeria were unlucky and were definitely the better team. Just lacked the mental strength with the shoot out. And is it just me (probably) but did a lot of the commentary sound like Carry On type double entendres?

It was just you.

2 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Same commentary used in men’s football, do you infer the same mental imagery then. If so, I’d think about clearing your internet history before your mrs starts asking questions.