Women's World Cup

therealhantsram

First game I've watched. Given the massive hype this is getting in the media, I was expecting a lot better quality, not League 1 or 2 standard football.

That final penalty was a belter though. You'll not see a better one than that anywhere this season. 

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Got to feel a bit sorry for Nigeria. I thought they were the better team but I’m not sure I’d agree with the commentator that said they were “dominant” in the first 90 minutes. Better, but not dominant.

'Dominant' in fouls.

image.png.846753c010ea1aec745b3fbe8e9a9a33.png

We should have had a penalty, they should have had a sending off. So karma won in the end! 

Missed the actual sending off incident, but when you watch it back (as the ref did on the VAR monitor) she should have also given the Nigerian player a yellow card, she clearly tried to pull James back and impede her progress…  is this allowed though, ie if VAR shout up for one thing and the ref see’s another?

That final England penalty was brilliant, I agree that you will struggle to see one better anywhere this season.

4 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Missed the actual sending off incident, but when you watch it back (as the ref did on the VAR monitor) she should have also given the Nigerian player a yellow card, she clearly tried to pull James back and impede her progress…  is this allowed though, ie if VAR shout up for one thing and the ref see’s another?

That final England penalty was brilliant, I agree that you will struggle to see one better anywhere this season.

I think it must be the var can only review one specific decision? It could get even more out of hand if it includes a review of the events up to the decision I guess is the reasoning. Still hate VAR.

Team Kylie 1-0 Team Sarah Lund

How many times have we seen England men go out of tournaments in the same way Nigeria did? Nigeria clearly the better team on the night, but lacking either the experience or mental toughness to get through the drama of a penalty shoot out.

The experience of the Euros came through for this England team. Overcame a penalty award being overturned by VAR (which looked very harsh) and a sending off too.  It will give them huge confidence boost. But with so many players missing the next round, it'll likely be about grinding out results Germany-style from now on.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Having brought violent conduct into it, what was the right word?

Genuinely curious

I don’t know. Now I’m not sure if you’re calling me out? Initially using the word morally or subsequently suggesting it might not have been the right word to use. 🤷🏻‍♂️